Apple's MacBook lineup now world's fourth-largest notebook brand

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    cropr said:
    MisterKit said:
    Keep in mind that the lifespan of an Apple laptop is MUCH longer than an HP, Lenovo, or Dell. The numbers don’t tell the whole story. If an HP lasts 3 years you are lucky. They might sell two or three HP’s to equal the service of an Apple laptop. I am still keeping a mid 2008 first gen aluminum MacBook (not Pro) alive and well. I would take it over a brand new Model from the top three. My newer Apple laptops are just all the more sweet.
    I have founded my company in 2012 and have bought a mix of MBP and Ubuntu based Dell XPS laptops (about 10 each).  If I count the  hardware defects, the Dell XPS scores clearly better (2  vs 6 for the MBP).    Of course my computer park is not that big, but still this is a good indication.     The biggest issue is the Magsafe power adapter (3 defects)
    Actually no, that’s not a good indication at all. The sample size is insignificantly small. 

I’ve had a MacBook Pro outlast a Dell, an Asus, one other machine the make of which I can’t remember, two Sony machines belonging to Mrs Rayz2016, a Toshiba  (though that wasn’t mine, so it might have been used before I got it), and a Netbook running Linux (a gift).  There was also a HP desktop. Each of my Windows machines lasted between two and three years of moderate use. The Mac was hardly ever switched off. The Netbook lasted the least amount of time. Though before they burnt out, not one of them had a virus. 

And my experience is also an insignificantly small sample, especially concerning the viruses. 

edited February 2018
  • Reply 22 of 45
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,396member
    It amazes me people still use PC's. Poor bastards. I feel sorry for them. I bought one the other day to run some DMX software as I didn't want my Macbook somewhere it would get trashed. That's the first time in years I have used a PC. What's remarkable is that PC's haven't upped their game, in fact they seem to be worse than I ever remembered. 
    I don't know what PC you bought, but I don't think it's fair to assume all PC's are low quality.  Two years ago I had a HP Elitebook that I pass to a friend after 6 years, and still working.  My customers have Lenovo and Dell corporate PC's, and most of them are +5 years, with no issues at all.  I can even say that HP, Dell and Lenovo have models that are ahead of what Apple offers.    
  • Reply 23 of 45
    MacPro said:
    Watching TV shows these days you'd thing Macs are the only laptop out there!
    Every time I see them in a show/movie, I ask myself, did the producing company really needed the additional money so bad?
    Did you ask your self the same question when you see Apple TV ads?  I don't see any difference from promoting your product in a TV show or movie, compared to a 15-second TV ad.  Every company does it.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    danvm said:
    MacPro said:
    Every time I see them in a show/movie, I ask myself, did the producing company really needed the additional money so bad?
    Did you ask your self the same question when you see Apple TV ads?  I don't see any difference from promoting your product in a TV show or movie, compared to a 15-second TV ad.  Every company does it.
    I think it's not meant to be about the manufacturer of the computer, but the company that's producing the show/movie...
  • Reply 25 of 45
    MisterKit said:
    Keep in mind that the lifespan of an Apple laptop is MUCH longer than an HP, Lenovo, or Dell. The numbers don’t tell the whole story. If an HP lasts 3 years you are lucky. They might sell two or three HP’s to equal the service of an Apple laptop. I am still keeping a mid 2008 first gen aluminum MacBook (not Pro) alive and well. I would take it over a brand new Model from the top three. My newer Apple laptops are just all the more sweet.

The lifespan Apple is much longer than cheap HP, Lenovo or Dell PC's.  But have in mind that not all of their models are cheap.  Personally I work with business and high end models, and are as good or better than Apple.  Most of my customers have 5+ PC's running without issues.  Even Schiller mention that there are 600M PC's with +5 years.  So maybe the lifespan you mention of 3yr is not the rule.  
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 26 of 45
    JanNL said:
    danvm said:
    MacPro said:
    I think it's not meant to be about the manufacturer of the computer, but the company that's producing the show/movie...
    If it's a TV show, movie or 15-second ad, the purpose is the same, advertise a product.  And it's not a sign of desperation, as the post mentioned.  Is just what media companies do.

• Reply 27 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    What's a computer?
  • Reply 28 of 45
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,312member
    MacPro said:
    So true. But I'm also seeing more and more cases where the TV shows put pasties over the Apple logo for some reason. I suspect these modest folk don't want to throw Apple any free advertising. However, these feeble attempts at logo suppression are more than offset by the presence of the MacBook copycat ultrabooks, notebooks, and chromebooks out there that are indistinguishable from MacBooks by laypeople. Whether the product placement is incidental or purposeful, or whether the computer is a genuine Apple MacBook or a MacBook wannabe, the end result is that Apple gets the valuable visibility. 
    christopher126
  • Reply 29 of 45
    I think this survey is very misleading:
    It lumps junk (like HP and Chromebooks) in with quality like Lenovo Thinkpads and MacBooks.

The junk sells for $200-$600 while the quality stuff goes for about double that (or more).  And, the two are totally separate markets -- apples and oranges if you will (and yes, as bad as it was, the pun was intended!)

I would like to see how MacBooks compare in the market they compete in...
    cgWerks
  • Reply 30 of 45
    MisterKit said:
    This’s true. Apple laptop is expensive but worth it. My MBA from 2011 still working great. I want to buy the new one but the old one just wouldn’t fail. Haven’t ever had Windows PC like this. 
  • Reply 31 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    dewme said:
    MacPro said:
    So true. But I'm also seeing more and more cases where the TV shows put pasties over the Apple logo for some reason. I suspect these modest folk don't want to throw Apple any free advertising. However, these feeble attempts at logo suppression are more than offset by the presence of the MacBook copycat ultrabooks, notebooks, and chromebooks out there that are indistinguishable from MacBooks by laypeople. Whether the product placement is incidental or purposeful, or whether the computer is a genuine Apple MacBook or a MacBook wannabe, the end result is that Apple gets the valuable visibility. 
    Years ago Apple paid good money for product placement and tie-in. They don't need to anymore and in fact say they do not but they DO make it exceedingly easy for a TV/Movie production to use Apple-stuff as needed and will oft-times donate all the wanted Apple gear for the production. Pretty much click sign and done. 
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 32 of 45
    danvm said:
    MisterKit said:

The lifespan Apple is much longer than cheap HP, Lenovo or Dell PC's.  But have in mind that not all of their models are cheap.  Personally I work with business and high end models, and are as good or better than Apple.  Most of my customers have 5+ PC's running without issues.  Even Schiller mention that there are 600M PC's with +5 years.  So maybe the lifespan you mention of 3yr is not the rule.  
    I agree on the cheap PC assertion. I've had reliable service from laptop/notebook PCs from PC vendor's higher end lines, e.g., Dell Latitude. I even have a 2005 vintage Dell Inspiron 9300 that's still working (with Ubuntu) and has a gorgeous super high resolution screen that shames most any non retina grade screens out there. The perception that Apple's computers are expensive is almost entirely driven by the fact that Apple doesn't have the glut of low-end down-spec versions out there that fill in the lower price tiers. Once you spec up a Dell, Lenovo, etc., to comparable levels as Apple's computers the price difference quickly evaporates. However, there is still one major Apple difference that many people overlook: Apple Product Support. Everything about Apple's product support makes all of the competitors look like amateurs, and in many cases, amateurs who don't speak your language very well or give a crap about making you a long term happy customer. Build quality is important, but so is customer support and service after the sale. 
  • Reply 33 of 45
    entropys said:
    I bet MBAs are the top seller.

i have never seen a MacBook outside of a retailer display.
    Maybe you are in the wrong circles, engineers / pros whatever who use MBr's (seldom) MBA's. You see plenty. I recently travelled east to west coast - saw plenty MBA, even rose gold version.
    Interesting...I have a 2017 MacBook (Rose Gold) and love it. It is a marvel of design, engineering, build quality and yes style! The MacOS, battery life and screen are exceptional. I bought it for one reason. It's light. I had a 2009 MBP and I was amazed at the speed of the MacBook. I don't miss the extra ports, just like I don't miss having a DVD drive. I wouldn't  mind if they got rid of the headphone jack...I only use my AirPods. Which, BTW, I really recommend. :)

Best

• Reply 34 of 45
    MacPro said:
    Agreed. When watching a show or movie w/ my GF...and an Apple iPhone or Mac/laptop are shown, I always say 'Apple.'

She loves it, as you can imagine. /s

edited February 2018
  • Reply 35 of 45
    MisterKit said:
    Spot on. My 2009 MBP was working fine...just couldn't update to the latest MacOS. My 2006 intel iMac was working fine, too with SL.

Both have been recycled and I only use my MB now.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    gatorguy said:
    What's a computer?
    Haha. Best Post! Made my laugh. :)
  • Reply 37 of 45
    dewme said:
    danvm said:
    MisterKit said:

I agree on the cheap PC assertion. I've had reliable service from laptop/notebook PCs from PC vendor's higher end lines, e.g., Dell Latitude. I even have a 2005 vintage Dell Inspiron 9300 that's still working (with Ubuntu) and has a gorgeous super high resolution screen that shames most any non retina grade screens out there. The perception that Apple's computers are expensive is almost entirely driven by the fact that Apple doesn't have the glut of low-end down-spec versions out there that fill in the lower price tiers. Once you spec up a Dell, Lenovo, etc., to comparable levels as Apple's computers the price difference quickly evaporates. However, there is still one major Apple difference that many people overlook: Apple Product Support. Everything about Apple's product support makes all of the competitors look like amateurs, and in many cases, amateurs who don't speak your language very well or give a crap about making you a long term happy customer. Build quality is important, but so is customer support and service after the sale. 
    The few times I had to contact support for Lenovo business PC's, their support is excellent and the response for onsite service calls are quick, unless the part is not available in the warehouse, which take a few days more.  I don't think it's the same experience with cheap/home models, considering that you have to call a different phone number.  
  • Reply 38 of 45
    MacPro said:
    Unfortunately, that's not the case. There are a lot of series, and even blockbuster movies, falling prey to Microsoft's marketing campaign for Surfaces! That is one piece of hardware that I never saw in person! Every time I see them in a show/movie, I ask myself, did the producing company really needed the additional money so bad? In my gut, it feel like a blemish in the story being told. This brought me a memory from 2011, when I bought my iPad 2 (that I haven't replaced yet). I had an old PC, so my iPad was my primary computing device. A lot of colleagues appeared interested, but balked at the price. Months later some of them started to show off their Xoom and Playbook tablets... funny thing that, after a couple of weeks, they never brought them again. They are probably forgotten, on their drawers ever since, while my iPad still sees daily use! The only reason people don't see more Apple gear, everywhere, is that most people who have the pocket to buy them—because they really aren't inexpensive, specially outside the US—don't account for the total cost of ownership, how well these products age, and even the price you could get from re-sale.
    I actually HAVE seen the Surface in the wild and the poor person using said computer asked me for help trying to figure out how to use it. I was equally perplexed, but eventually got the easy task accomplished after expending an unnecessary amount of time and thought energy to the problem. The device was a real mess of an OS.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    MacPro said:
    Unfortunately, that's not the case. There are a lot of series, and even blockbuster movies, falling prey to Microsoft's marketing campaign for Surfaces! That is one piece of hardware that I never saw in person! Every time I see them in a show/movie, I ask myself, did the producing company really needed the additional money so bad? In my gut, it feel like a blemish in the story being told. This brought me a memory from 2011, when I bought my iPad 2 (that I haven't replaced yet). I had an old PC, so my iPad was my primary computing device. A lot of colleagues appeared interested, but balked at the price. Months later some of them started to show off their Xoom and Playbook tablets... funny thing that, after a couple of weeks, they never brought them again. They are probably forgotten, on their drawers ever since, while my iPad still sees daily use! The only reason people don't see more Apple gear, everywhere, is that most people who have the pocket to buy them—because they really aren't inexpensive, specially outside the US—don't account for the total cost of ownership, how well these products age, and even the price you could get from re-sale.
    I do have to say that coach Bill Belichick's "endorsement" of the Microsoft Surface product line is second to none.  :D
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 40 of 45
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    MisterKit said:
    Macbook PRO if not abused last longer than typical Windows laptop. Though, in last several years, higher end laptops have come bit better in reliability. People would love to have MBP but when cost $ starts crippling out of there comfort zone, they turn to laptops even they don't like much. That is why, Apple must make at least one of each 13",15" non-strip version MBP with 4 Type C ports and keep price reasonable. I am sure there is still decent margins and more people buys, market share expands and overall revenue higher.