Heads of US law & spy agencies say phones by Apple rival Huawei pose inherent national sec...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,685member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    It's probably not a coincidence that these 'security' concerns are being aired at the start of Huawei's 100 million dollar US branding campaign.
    Conspiracy theory nonsense. If it’s US protectionism, how come the spy chiefs didn’t come out against Korea’s Samsung? Or any of the other non-US based brands?

Sorry your knockoff brand are government funded spies, bro. But...at least you have the KFC phone. That’s gotta be worth something, right?
    If the US government hasn't been able to prove anything to justify its fears, I doubt you have anything to back up what you are saying either.

Most governments failed to grasp the true impact of communications and social networking before it happened.

If Samsung  didn't already have a major foothold in the US market, I am sure it would be getting the same treatment by the current administration as Huawei.

It's becoming clearer by the day that this is protectionism beyond any other reason.

If major security issues are a worry, then act on them and outright ban the sale of the devices. It's as simple as that. The trouble is that it looks like the alleged security issues don't really exist beyond what Huawei has publicly stated. They pose no more risk than any other major handset maker. Plain and simple.

If these reports are true, things will probably get worse before they get better. A shame as the only losers will be US consumers. Will Apple suffer in China (and on a wider scale) as a result? It's possible.

I see you have not provided anything to counter my previous points or the links provided. 
    You probably aren't aware of it, being in Spain and all, but there's a new cold war going on, with cyber warfare being a major weapon between the West and rivals such as China, North Korea, and Russia. You would be naive if you don't think that Huawei is providing intelligence gathering where it can get away with it in its communication build outs around the world. That certain politicians in the U.S. have made it their aim to block Huawei is quite true, and yet, Huawei's phones are available for sale in the U.S; just not through major carriers. 

How can that be?

Do you think that sales drop-offs in China of Samsung products are not correlated with ongoing tensions between North Korea and South Korea? I certainly do, and I suspect that the Chinese are very good at gaming the value of their large market with both their parochial, and global interests, and fair trade doesn't come to mind as the primary goal.

I'd like to think that people in the West are aware of all the moves that the Chinese are making worldwide to create new markets, and new defense agreements, that the West will have to counter with large military buildups in Africa, the Middle East, and South Asia. Be advised that the trade routes in South Asia will absolutely be impacted by Chinese military expansion, and countering that will be expensive, and probably of limited value. 

BTW. Apple has a facility in Reno, Nevada, that receives, and quarantines, incoming server components for it's server farm at U.S.A. Parkway. I'm guessing that this is standard practice for Google, AWS, Facebook, and MS as well. Can't imagine that all countries are all going to be as capable of that, and Huawei certainly has been guilty in the past of leaving backdoors in its gear.

Truth is, Huawei's access to the U.S. market isn't your concern.

Why not quarantine Huawei gear in the US?

This is effectively what happens in the UK.

Your reasoning is applicable in the opposite direction too. The Chinese government can do far more, and far more effectively than the US government, to hit for example Apple than the US can to Huawei.

The US has chosen that route all by itself so it wouldn't be inconceivable for the Chinese government to hit back and set its targets on Apple - just for starters. After all, no evidence is now needed. The simple 'fear' is enough, so if Tencent turns around and says iOS is EoL for WeChat following conversations with Chinese security agencies everyone will be happy, right? Or what if they simply recommended not buying iPhones and were done with it.

Huawei had a lot to gain but little to lose.

Apple has far more to lose. 

But the real losers are consumers. Let's not forget that. This US tactic (while no evidence is produced) is just protectionism.

Any cold war has little or nothing to do with handsets, and for all the claims of foul play by the US, it is US agencies that get caught doing exactly what they are protesting against.

So let's be patient and see who gets hurt the most, because I doubt we've seen the end of this. 

Consumers have already lost out.
    Again why is this your concern, and why do you not also stand up for ZTE? Playing favorites as always?

This is just U.S. politics in action, as I mentioned some time ago, all related to China's military and economic expansion., and China's restricted markets There certainly may be protectionism involved, but you haven't been able to define it. 

Consumer aren't losing out; there are plenty of alternatives.

Are you being compensated for your consistent Huawei support, on an Apple forum I might add, or are you just a compulsive fanboy? I haven't been able to figure that out. It has to be one or the other.
    If I speak about Apple or Huawei and not Samsung or ZTE it's because I have a lot of experience with the former two and none with the latter.

If you read closely, you will find I don't defend or attack anyone as a trait. More often than not, someone has said something upstream in a thread and I simply bring some balance into the situation as most of the time, what is said upstream is deliberately twisted or just plain wrong.

You will also notice that I let other stuff go.

Just recently we have seen comments saying that Samsung and Apple are the only handset makers making money. Plainly wrong as Huawei makes money too and is whipping competitors on YoY unit sales to boot. I let that go.

I I wouldn't be surprised to see a DED article appear to air Huawei's dirty washing and just like everyone else it has a fair bit, but on the whole, much of what is written in the forums here about Huawei in particular is just wrong. 

AI has a lot of readers who are passing by. They could pick up on a lot of the 'facts' some people proclaim on an almost daily basis and take them at face value.

Far better to challenge those 'facts' head on with a different perspective and supporting links and then let the reader decide.

I have an interest in local, national and world events, many of which have a direct or indirect impact where I live.

Here is a piece light Friday reading.

http://fortune.com/2018/02/10/if-china-hits-back/

• Reply 42 of 44
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    It's probably not a coincidence that these 'security' concerns are being aired at the start of Huawei's 100 million dollar US branding campaign.
    Conspiracy theory nonsense. If it’s US protectionism, how come the spy chiefs didn’t come out against Korea’s Samsung? Or any of the other non-US based brands?

Sorry your knockoff brand are government funded spies, bro. But...at least you have the KFC phone. That’s gotta be worth something, right?
    If the US government hasn't been able to prove anything to justify its fears, I doubt you have anything to back up what you are saying either.

Most governments failed to grasp the true impact of communications and social networking before it happened.

If Samsung  didn't already have a major foothold in the US market, I am sure it would be getting the same treatment by the current administration as Huawei.

It's becoming clearer by the day that this is protectionism beyond any other reason.

If major security issues are a worry, then act on them and outright ban the sale of the devices. It's as simple as that. The trouble is that it looks like the alleged security issues don't really exist beyond what Huawei has publicly stated. They pose no more risk than any other major handset maker. Plain and simple.

If these reports are true, things will probably get worse before they get better. A shame as the only losers will be US consumers. Will Apple suffer in China (and on a wider scale) as a result? It's possible.

I see you have not provided anything to counter my previous points or the links provided. 
    You probably aren't aware of it, being in Spain and all, but there's a new cold war going on, with cyber warfare being a major weapon between the West and rivals such as China, North Korea, and Russia. You would be naive if you don't think that Huawei is providing intelligence gathering where it can get away with it in its communication build outs around the world. That certain politicians in the U.S. have made it their aim to block Huawei is quite true, and yet, Huawei's phones are available for sale in the U.S; just not through major carriers. 

How can that be?

Do you think that sales drop-offs in China of Samsung products are not correlated with ongoing tensions between North Korea and South Korea? I certainly do, and I suspect that the Chinese are very good at gaming the value of their large market with both their parochial, and global interests, and fair trade doesn't come to mind as the primary goal.

I'd like to think that people in the West are aware of all the moves that the Chinese are making worldwide to create new markets, and new defense agreements, that the West will have to counter with large military buildups in Africa, the Middle East, and South Asia. Be advised that the trade routes in South Asia will absolutely be impacted by Chinese military expansion, and countering that will be expensive, and probably of limited value. 

BTW. Apple has a facility in Reno, Nevada, that receives, and quarantines, incoming server components for it's server farm at U.S.A. Parkway. I'm guessing that this is standard practice for Google, AWS, Facebook, and MS as well. Can't imagine that all countries are all going to be as capable of that, and Huawei certainly has been guilty in the past of leaving backdoors in its gear.

Your reasoning is applicable in the opposite direction too. The Chinese government can do far more, and far more effectively than the US government, to hit for example Apple than the US can to Huawei.

The US has chosen that route all by itself so it wouldn't be inconceivable for the Chinese government to hit back and set its targets on Apple - just for starters. After all, no evidence is now needed. The simple 'fear' is enough, so if Tencent turns around and says iOS is EoL for WeChat following conversations with Chinese security agencies everyone will be happy, right? Or what if they simply recommended not buying iPhones and were done with it.

But the real losers are consumers. Let's not forget that. This US tactic (while no evidence is produced) is just protectionism.

Any cold war has little or nothing to do with handsets, and for all the claims of foul play by the US, it is US agencies that get caught doing exactly what they are protesting against.

So let's be patient and see who gets hurt the most, because I doubt we've seen the end of this. 

Again why is this your concern, and why do you not also stand up for ZTE? Playing favorites as always?

This is just U.S. politics in action, as I mentioned some time ago, all related to China's military and economic expansion., and China's restricted markets There certainly may be protectionism involved, but you haven't been able to define it. 

Are you being compensated for your consistent Huawei support, on an Apple forum I might add, or are you just a compulsive fanboy? I haven't been able to figure that out. It has to be one or the other.
    If I speak about Apple or Huawei and not Samsung or ZTE it's because I have a lot of experience with the former two and none with the latter.

If you read closely, you will find I don't defend or attack anyone as a trait. More often than not, someone has said something upstream in a thread and I simply bring some balance into the situation as most of the time, what is said upstream is deliberately twisted or just plain wrong.

Just recently we have seen comments saying that Samsung and Apple are the only handset makers making money. Plainly wrong as Huawei makes money too and is whipping competitors on YoY unit sales to boot. I let that go.

I I wouldn't be surprised to see a DED article appear to air Huawei's dirty washing and just like everyone else it has a fair bit, but on the whole, much of what is written in the forums here about Huawei in particular is just wrong. 

AI has a lot of readers who are passing by. They could pick up on a lot of the 'facts' some people proclaim on an almost daily basis and take them at face value.

Far better to challenge those 'facts' head on with a different perspective and supporting links and then let the reader decide.

I have an interest in local, national and world events, many of which have a direct or indirect impact where I live.

Uhh, you do realize that the two most profitable companies on the planet are Samsung and Apple?  Huawei may make money but it would be considered as white noise in comparison to Samsung and Apple. Samsung passed up Intel as the world’s largest chipmaker. 

I don’t know the details of what’s going on with the Huawei handsets but I don’t doubt that backdoors could easily be installed as the source code for Android is open source and the OS could easily be modified. I don’t trust Android at all. Hence I won’t purchase anything that even Samsung builds which runs on Android. Tizen is fine, but Android is a perfect platform for spyware. 

And yes, a trade war with China would hurt Apple. But China as a whole will be the biggest loser h
  • Reply 43 of 44
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

How can that be?

Uhh, you do realize that the two most profitable companies on the planet are Samsung and Apple?  Huawei may make money but it would be considered as white noise in comparison to Samsung and Apple. Samsung passed up Intel as the world’s largest chipmaker. 

I don’t know the details of what’s going on with the Huawei handsets but I don’t doubt that backdoors could easily be installed as the source code for Android is open source and the OS could easily be modified. I don’t trust Android at all. Hence I won’t purchase anything that even Samsung builds which runs on Android. Tizen is fine, but Android is a perfect platform for spyware. 

And yes, a trade war with China would hurt Apple. But China as a whole will be the biggest loser h
    Oh yes, I realize there's a difference between the most profitable and the rest but that doesn't mean the rest don't make money.

Huawei makes billions in profits too. Size doesn't matter here as not everyone can be the biggest and everything is temporary anyway.

Don't forget that Apple's profits for 2007 were 3.5 billion dollars.

It looks like the boom days for Apple's iPhone are over or things are slowing down quickly.

That's why they are focusing on things like services and diversifying products.
  • Reply 44 of 44
    A follow up (.pdf)

https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/1060161615708/Comments of Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. and Huawei Technologies USA, Inc. - WC Docket 18-89.pdf

"Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. and Huawei Technologies USA, Inc. (“Huawei”) applaud 
    the Commission’s objectives of protecting the nation’s communications networks and supply chain, but the mechanism by which the Commission aims to do so—i.e., blacklisting a handful of suppliers—is both improper and imprudent for multiple reasons. This proposal exceeds the statutory authority granted to the Commission; is arbitrary and capricious; will cause costs far in excess of any slight benefits; violates constitutional and statutory procedural requirements; and relies on unverified and unsupportable factual allegations. The Commission should not adopt its proposed rule."

Ouch!
    edited June 2018