Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    dewme said:
    What's next, a FaceBook voice assistant? I recommend it be called "Creepy."
    Love it!
    watto_cobraAI_lias
  • Reply 22 of 34
    macseeker said:
    Neat, another vector for facebook to spy upon people with.
    With young people deserting FB could this be a desperate attempt to get more Ad revenue?
    Think about the famous 'telescreen' in 1984...

Don't need to say anymore.
    Not a FB user and never have been and never will be.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 34
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    fallenjt said:
    Please, FB, stay with what you're good at: Social Networking. Your mobile phone was a flop. No more hardware, please!
    What is it with this speaker fad?
  • Reply 24 of 34
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    zroger73 said:
    No, thanks. Facebook is creepy enough without putting even more cameras and microphones in my house.
    This.
    The HomePod has its issues, but why would anyone in their right mind put a device with a microphone in their house from Facebook, a company that has repeatedly demonstrated that it has no respect for anyone's privacy?

LukeCagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 34
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    dysamoria said:
    fallenjt said:
    Please, FB, stay with what you're good at: Social Networking. Your mobile phone was a flop. No more hardware, please!
    What is it with this speaker fad?
    It's not a fad.  It's the early days of a new user interface.  No different from when the mouse and GUI came along.  Plenty of people dismissed those as well.  The problem with "smart" speakers is that they aren't smart.  Yet.  A decade from now, when these "assistants" understand nuance and context and can string together multiple queries easily, they will be the primary manner in which we interact with computers for everyday tasks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 34
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    mike1 said:
    FB is a one-trick pony and I would expect this to fail like their phone did. Everybody else is so far ahead of them when it comes to...

Virtual Assistant
    Voice Control
    Music Services
    Video Services
    Home Control

Non-portable tablets - They'd have this entirely to themselves.
    The one thing they have, though, is data.  If anyone could build a better assistant, I bet it's Facebook.  After all, the more an assistant knows about you, the better it can predict and assist.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Yeah, we already know its gonna suck.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 34
    It will be as successful as the Facebook phone.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Just, no, Facebook, no!
  • Reply 30 of 34
    HomePod , or nothing.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    I deleted their app off my phone when it started to make creepy friend suggestions about people I've never done anything more than attend the same gym with, so zero chance I'm going to put their products in my house.  
  • Reply 32 of 34
    I wonder if Zuckerberg will have one, and have it covered with tape.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    airnerd said:
    I deleted their app off my phone when it started to make creepy friend suggestions about people I've never done anything more than attend the same gym with, so zero chance I'm going to put their products in my house.  
    That's all fine and good, but FB still knows nearly everything about you. Even people that have never once signed up for FB are deeply embedded into their system simply because nearly everyone they know has used or uses FB in some regard.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Soli said:
    airnerd said:
    That's all fine and good, but FB still knows nearly everything about you. Even people that have never once signed up for FB are deeply embedded into their system simply because nearly everyone they know has used or uses FB in some regard.
    ...and Facebook is in  trouble again for tracking non-users.
    https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/19/facebooks-tracking-of-non-users-ruled-illegal-again/
    Soli