iDevices debuts HomeKit-compatible Instant Switch wireless wall switch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2018
Smarthome accessory maker iDevices expanded to its range of HomeKit-connected hardware on Friday with Instant Switch, an easy to mount wall switch that connects to and controls most iDevices products.

iDevices Instant Switch

Originally promised to launch last year, Instant Switch is iDevices' take on installation free smart accessory switches that have gained in popularity over the past year.

Similar in function to Logitech POP and Philips Hue Dimmer Switch, Instant Switch is a hassle-free solution for controlling iDevices power and lighting products. With HomeKit integration, users can control Instant Switch via Siri and include the device in house-wide scenes. Amazon Alexa support is also included.

Using Bluetooth, the battery-powered Instant Switch pairs with iDevices products like the Switch WiFi Smart Plug or Socket light bulb adapter to provide remote control from almost anywhere in a user's home. Along with basic on/off control for plugs and adapters, Instant Switch can connect to the iDevices Wall Switch or Dimmer Switch, both hardwired solutions, to automatically create a 3- or 4-way control configuration.

Unfortunately, Instant Switch does not support the iDevices Thermostat, though that model can be directly controlled from the Home app and included in HomeKit scenes.

Boasting a sleek flat panel design, Instant Switch can be mounted to a wall with the included 3M Command Strip, offering the aesthetic of a traditional residential electrical switch box cover. Users can customize their installation by swapping out the faceplate with any standard two-screw panel that accommodates standard rocker switches. A built-in level helps with installation.

As a semi-permanent device, Instant Switch comes with a pre-installed battery said to last for two years under normal use conditions.

Instant Switch is available now from iDevices' website and Amazon.com for $34.95.
feudalist

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    There was an article written recently that all this home control stuff may be all well and good for Apple walled garden folks like us but a potential nightmare for Google Android driven stuff.  Given the total lack of security and lack of any users updating it is only a matter of time before an Android based home systems get shut down and ransomed for bitcoin payments to turn back on.  Imagine no heating in the dead of winter.
    edited February 2018 watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 2 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    MacPro said:
    There was an article written recently that all this home control stuff may be all well and good for Apple walled garden folks like us but a potential nightmare for Google Android driven stuff.  Given the total lack of security and lack of any users updating it is only a matter of time before an Android based home systems get shut down and ransomed for bitcoin payments to turn back on.  Imagine no heating in the dead of winter.
    Huh? The recent home control fail story we read here was involving HomeKit security. 
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/12/07/homekit-flaw-in-ios-112-allowed-remote-access-to-smart-devices-temporary-fix-already-in-place

And why try to take the thread in a different direction than the article intended anyway? Off-topic stuff ends up as thread derailment far too often.

• Reply 3 of 31
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    Lutron's "Caseta" HomeKit/Alexa switches include a remote that can, with a $3 bracket be installed as a second switch, for $60 on amazon.  So $35, while cheap, doesn't seem like that great a value proposition.

The Caseta wired switches are pretty easy to install.  The only downside I discovered is that if you have LED lights, you better make sure they're 'compatible'.  It turns out the recessed LEDs my builder put in aren't.  They work, but give off an annoying buzzing sound :-(  Since they were put in just about everywhere, the only places I can use the 2 Caseta switches I bought (their startup bundle) is in a couple places.  Anyone wanna buy some LEDs from me? :-)  I'm too cheap to buy a bunch of new LEDs (not cheap!) when the old ones otherwise work just fine.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Have to say after I saw many HomePod unboxings & saw reviewers used it with HomeKit stuffs to great effect, I’m very impressed & will dip my toe in soon. But Apple need to be careful here. Looks at Alexa support. I bet if it doesn’t have one it wouldn’t be sold on Amazon. Shows the power of Amazon in this space really. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 31
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Interesting.

And I want to be excited.

There is one problem with these smart switches/remotes: None of them seem designed to fit a standard Decora sized wall plate opening, including this one based on the photos shown.

The Philips Hue Dimmer this same problem. And the Tap is a weird circular shape.

The Lutron Pico remotes fit neatly into an existing row of Decora-style switches under a standard switch cover plate (or an extended row if you add an additional remote to existing switch locations). But the Lutron Pico doesn't appear in the Home App so it cannot be programmed (directly) to trigger HomeKit scenes. There are people who have hacked together a system where the Pico controls a plugin dimmer (without any devices plugged in) which then triggers HomeKit scenes, but that is a ridiculous hack that I'm not interested in on principle.

In the case of the Philips Hue Dimmer, the intent is that the remote is easily removable from the wall to become a nightstand remote, which is a very cool convenience. And I wonder if the intent to remove it from the wall-mounted location (which is likely installed over an open electrical box in retrofit installations) raises electrical code/safety concerns in case the installation is done badly and wires are exposed when the remote is removed? It seems like they could design a holder bracket that would safely hide any in-wall wiring behind the switch. The Lutron Pico remote has a bracket that holds the remote in position behind a wall plate, but it isn't designed for convenient quick release. The wall plate must be removed before the Pico Remote can be taken out of the bracket.

Does anyone know of a HomeKit Remote Smart Switch (not a wired unit that switches a particular picture) that will fit into a standard Decora sized wall plate?
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 6 of 31
    polymnia said:
    There is one problem with these smart switches/remotes: None of them seem designed to fit a standard Decora sized wall plate opening, including this one based on the photos shown.

StrangeDayszoetmbpolymniawatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 31
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    Huh? The recent home control fail story we read here was involving HomeKit security. 
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/12/07/homekit-flaw-in-ios-112-allowed-remote-access-to-smart-devices-temporary-fix-already-in-place

And why try to take the thread in a different direction than the article intended anyway? Off-topic stuff ends up as thread derailment far too often.

The point of his post which your expected negative spin failed to address is that HomeKit flaws will get fixed. In fact the link you provided said so. Your precious Android users, on the other hand, are unlikely to get updates from their carriers.
    williamlondonwatto_cobrajony0lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 31
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:

The point of his post which your expected negative spin failed to address is that HomeKit flaws will get fixed. In fact the link you provided said so. Your precious Android users, on the other hand, are unlikely to get updates from their carriers.
    Which Google Home security issue with home control hasn't Google fixed? Again with the distraction from the topic of the article. See what happens? Now instead of discussing the product, or even home lighting control in general  which is a topic a lot of us are interested in we're going to veer off into opposing claims about this that and the other with "but...but... GOOGLE!... OMG ANDROID!" which alway seems to find its way into an Apple-specific thread. 

Don't we already have AI articles where relative security comparisons are discussed? You (not specifically) should use 'em. 
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Sorry, nowhere on the product page does it say it is HomeKit compatible. Might want to double check and correct this article.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    tzm41 said:
    Sorry, nowhere on the product page does it say it is HomeKit compatible. Might want to double check and correct this article.
    And I don't believe it is, no HomeKit control of it AFAIK, but whatever...
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 11 of 31
    gatorguy said:
    tzm41 said:
    And I don't believe it is, but whatever...
    Product page says it uses Bluetooth to control other iDevices products.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 31
    tzm41 said:
    gatorguy said:
    tzm41 said:
    I was agreeing with you in case you didn't catch that.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    gatorguy said:
    tzm41 said:
    gatorguy said:
    tzm41 said:
    I was agreeing with you in case you didn't catch that.
    I did catch that.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    FWIW I've been looking for a compatible smart-switch for the ceiling fans and had the Caseta starter pack and one additional switch in hand and getting ready to head to check out when I thought I should look online to see if there was some other one to consider instead. I'd prefer to avoid yet another hub and lock-in. Back on the shelf they went as I discovered they aren't rated for something like a ceiling fan, and Lutron has no current plans for the Caseta line to offer one. Anyone know of one that will work with voice assistant control of ceiling fans outside of buying a smart-fan itself?
  • Reply 15 of 31
    tzm41 said:
    Yeah from what I gather this isn't really a HK switch, it's BT to control other iDevice-branded HK accessories. Lame. 

I'm researching this wall dimmer now:

https://www.incipio.com/accessories/commandkit-accessories/commandkit-smart-wall-switch.html

...they said in email it's an HK accessory, but I'm waiting for them to confirm I can use it in Apple Home app scene building to control other HK accessories.

• Reply 16 of 31
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    I'd skip all smart switches and go straight for the Philips Hue bulbs. No wiring required.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    tzm41 said:
    Yeah from what I gather this isn't really a HK switch, it's BT to control other iDevice-branded HK accessories. Lame. 

https://www.incipio.com/accessories/commandkit-accessories/commandkit-smart-wall-switch.html

...they said in email it's an HK accessory, but I'm waiting for them to confirm I can use it in Apple Home app scene building to control other HK accessories.

If you come across something compatible with a ceiling fan too please do post it. 

Oh. from your link in case it matters:
    1. Note: Apple TV (3rd Gen or greater) required for Remote Accessibility
  • Reply 18 of 31
    gatorguy said:
    tzm41 said:

If you come across something compatible with a ceiling fan too please do post it. 

Oh. from your link in case it matters:
    1. Note: Apple TV (3rd Gen or greater) required for Remote Accessibility
    Yes, that’s for HK. Oddly they don’t mention HK at all in their product copy, only their own thing (confusingly) called CommandKit. Still emailing to confirm it can be used as one would hope — use the switch or motion sensor to trigger HK scenes. 
  • Reply 19 of 31

fallenjt said:
    I'd skip all smart switches and go straight for the Philips Hue bulbs. No wiring required.
    I have plenty of Hue accessories but they don’t really meet all home decor use cases. For the overhead lighting plan in our living room we want to use particular lighting fixtures that will never have Hue bulbs. Enter a HK dimmer, so that I can hopefully issue Siri commands to, etc. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 31
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    bsimpsen said:
    polymnia said:

Sweet!

The photo in the AI article made the switch look too wide to fit a standard plate.

This is exactly what I've been looking for.

Thanks for interneting for me :)
    williamlondonwatto_cobra