Subaru readies 2019 Ascent SUV with Apple CarPlay standard

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    DAalseth said:
    I've liked Subarus since the '70s when they had a hippy counter culture vibe. Their later offerings, Foresters, Outbacks, and such are nice too, but getting a bit soccer mom-ish for my taste. Reguardless, I have a 2005 Prius that's running fine. I figure as long as it's paid for, it's reliable, and I trust it, why trade it in? I expect to get at least ten more years out of it, maybe 15. So I may never see or use CarPlay. Actually I'm waiting until somebody, maybe Apple, maybe somebody using Apple's software, has a true self driving car. Get in and say "Car take me to Tim Horton's." and it just goes. That would be enough to get me to sell my Prius and move on.
    It's already happening with true self-driving cars already chauffeuring families on Arizona streets: to school, to soccer practice, to work, to the store, and more....
    and no safety driver at the steering wheel. 
    edited February 2018 DAalseth
  • Reply 22 of 24
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    gatorguy said:
    It's already happening with true self-driving cars already chauffeuring families on Arizona streets: to school, to soccer practice, to work, to the store, and more....
    and no safety driver at the steering wheel. 
    Nice. I wasn't sure they had gone beyond Tesla's that drive themselves but you have to pay attention all the time. Glad to hear that it's going to the next step. Thanks..
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 23 of 24
    Car manufacturers, and Apple, might be purposely withholding whether a CarPlay system is wired, wireless, touchscreen, or knob/button.  A bit frustrating for comparison shopping, and so consistent that it feels intentional. If there’s a published list somewhere that contradicts me, please share it - I’d be grateful. 
  • Reply 24 of 24
    rob53 said:
    bshank said:
    When they bring CarPlay to the Forester I’m in
    It’s on the 2018 Outback a smoother driving vehicle. 
    A Forester is a better ride for some. Used to have a Forester before they got huge- the new ones are bigger than old Outbacks.
    My old Forester (with a skid plate)  would go where Jeeps feared to tread.

They are Soccer Mom cars now.