Failure of Pixel 2 exposed a larger problem: Google's ads don't work

Comments

• Reply 21 of 96
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    What is the purpose of writing a Google bashing article other than it makes some people feel good to knock one of Apple’s competitors? Is there some worry about the iPhone X that AI feels it necessary to trash the Pixel?

Since no other website ever publishes criticisms of Apple’s competitors and all we ever see are articles predicting Apple’s eventual demise I don’t see the problem here. Mr. Dilger writes well and I have seen his AI work pop up on news media sites from time to time. It’s about time the competition got bashed instead of being declared Apple killers all the time. If all these Apple killers’ products are so good then why does Apple continue to thrive and grow?

If you want to read about and discuss Apple’s failures all day long then head on over to 9TO5Mac or MacRumors.
    airnerdtmayGG1ericthehalfbeewilliamlondonbrucemcpropodpscooter63andrewj5790racerhomie3
  • Reply 22 of 96
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    What is the purpose of writing a Google bashing article other than it makes some people feel good to knock one of Apple’s competitors? Is there some worry about the iPhone X that AI feels it necessary to trash the Pixel?

Considering this is an Apple centric site I’d love to see an editorial about, say, Siri and what Apple can and should do to make it better or maybe a discussion on the rumored software changes and how Apple can improve their software processes and quality going forward. Or maybe a piece about what would be good to see software wise in the future for the HomePod. A Siri intent for music and podcasts? The ability to recognize different voices and offer multi user support? These are just a few examples. There are plenty of editorials and pieces about Apple that could generate good discussion. I wish more rumor sites would run  pieces that could generate this kind of discussion. 9to5Mac does on occasion but they seem to be the only one.

I personally love the new style I've seen as of late.  It's factual and aggressive, and relatively brief.  It's about time Google is called out on their shit.  
    airnerdbrucemcpscooter63watto_cobrajony0gilly33
  • Reply 23 of 96
    saltyzip said:
    The pixel 2 is only sold in a few countries which are Australia, Canada, Germany, Italy, Puerto Rico, Spain, United Kingdom and United States, so you have to take that into account with the sales numbers.

At the end of the day the pixel 2 has been rated as a superb phone, and most of those educated in this business seems to carry one and use it as their main driver, stipulating the camera is incredible.

Also Samsung makes prettier phones at the pixel 2 price range, the uneducated don't take into account software updates or unlimited photo and video backups and no bloat at the point of sale.

Unless the sales staff advise their customers of this the customer will walk out with a Samsung everytime.
    I take into account that I don't put any of my photos, documents, or anything on googles servers.  My photos stay on my iPhone.  I don't even put them on Apples cloud.  I don't take any racy photos or anything, but I just like knowing I am in complete control of everything mine.  I'm a bit older, just outside of the Millennial demo so maybe I'm just screaming "get off my lawn".  But I've said it before that i don't trust Google with my data.  I do trust Apple until they give me a reason not to trust them.  THAT is what keeps me off any Android devices.  Sad too, because I like a lot of Samsungs products.  Have many of their TV's in my house.  But as long as they are running google software they are a non-starter for me. 
    tmayGG1pscooter63zoetmbwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 96
    Muntz said:
    saltyzip said:
    The pixel 2 is only sold in a few countries which are Australia, Canada, Germany, Italy, Puerto Rico, Spain, United Kingdom and United States, so you have to take that into account with the sales numbers.

At the end of the day the pixel 2 has been rated as a superb phone, and most of those educated in this business seems to carry one and use it as their main driver.
    Educated in what business? Shilling? I’ve seen like 3 pixel phones in the wild in NYC.
    My boss has a Pixel, the first version.  Not sure why as he uses a MacbookPro and the rest of his family is on iPhones and apple watches.  He likes to think he is more "techy" than the rest of us though, so I think that plays into it.  It's funny when we are in a meeting and we all have our phones on the table and there will be a dozen people in the room and he's the only non-iPhone on the table.  
    tmayracerhomie3randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 96
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Setting the quality, or lack thereof, of the Pixel 2 aside for the moment, you make a superb point about what this means for Google Advertising. I saw these ads everywhere, on the web, on TV, in print. For this much publicity to generate this little in sales only means one thing. The Emperor has no clothes. Google advertising is not as effective as, well, advertised. And THAT is going to be a far bigger problem for them in the long run than another in a long line of hardware and software initiatives that were abandoned after a few years. From what I've read there is a growing uneasiness about how effective web advertising is among companies that place ads. This cannot do anything but deepen those reservations, and tighten their wallets
    brucemcpropodwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 96
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Can't say we're surprised, right folks?  It's another "[Apple product]-Killer" that will soon be...dead.  Remember the Zune?  Remember Micro$oft's bashing the original iPhone? Windows Phone?  Not even mighty Google can be a real competitor.  I've said this for years...the issue isn't the product or even the marketing, it's the goal from which the product and marketing came.  They aren't interested in making a great, special product and selling as many as possible.  They are interested in attacking Apple and taking marketshare.  It never works.  Apple makes products that are more than the sum of their parts, brilliantly branded and marketed, and sold through a network of stores that are destinations unto themselves.  You just can't compete with that.  

The only legit competitor is Samsung, and we know how they got there.  If the patent system and courts weren't utterly broken, Samsung would have paid billions in damages and been barred from selling smartphones in the U.S. at all.  Regardless, they are a real competitor who makes good products overall.  
    edited February 2018 DAalsethpropodwatto_cobragilly33
  • Reply 27 of 96
    I agree on the point that shaming Google and the sales of the pixel in an Apple centric website is not the best. I'd also would like to see more editorials regarding things that actually work (and don't work) of Apple - like the mentioned mostly useless Siri, lack of features in iOS announced and "forgotten" or "postponed" etc, or how things work (e.g. how does an iPhone cache content and use it in lack of coverage; how does the iPhone handle streaming in low coverage areas and so on).

On the other hand, the article is spot on. I think Google is so big and makes so much money, that the Pixel department is not really taken seriously by any of the upper management or Marcom department at Google. And their marketing needs to better know their users. Which is ironical, since their users give away all their information, anonymously or not, by using Google services all the time.
    The point is that reviews came out with bad screens, forced reviews saying the pics were amazing when they clearly were not, and that they are incredibly expensive. Apple is expensive, but it delivers excellent quality hardware. Samsung delivers excellent hardware (when it doesn't catch fire) but it is riddled with Samsung nonsense software. And they are expensive too.

And those who like to use the "openness" of Android, are usually students and geeks that might not necessarily have the money to buy such expensive pieces of hardware, or look for other (better) solutions out there, like a Oneplus, or other not super expensive phones.

One thing is clear - marketing for Pixel phones at Google did a really bad job. And management has forced them to make very bad compromises (e.g. bad screens) for whatever (political?) reasons.
  • Reply 28 of 96
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    saltyzip said:
    Muntz said:
    saltyzip said:

At the end of the day the pixel 2 has been rated as a superb phone, and most of those educated in this business seems to carry one and use it as their main driver.
    Educated in what business? Shilling? I’ve seen like 3 pixel phones in the wild in NYC.
    Everybody in the tech industry knows the Pixel 2 is the best smartphone camera

I've just read this tweet #shotonpixel

Be different not the same!

LOL, if you want to troll, please have real ammo, not spitballs. As a NY to NYC commuter , I have seen - maybe - one Pixel on the NJ Transit buses. I see an abundant number of iPhone X's however, along with countless 8's, 7's, and some 6's, Ratio of iOS to Android devices is about 30-1, as an Apple stockholder, I always make it a point to see trends around me.

As someone that works in IT with mobile oversight at a major Wall Street firm with an international footprint, I can tell you the firm formally moved from BB to iPhone's two years ago. As did every other firm in the industry I'm aware of. No corporate Android devices. For those that BYOD, 95 percent are iOS. Of the 5 percent that are Android, there are about 5 Pixel's. Overall mobile footprint is 30k+ devices.

And by the way, it's not about "being different." That's what all the idiots on social media and YouTube are trying to be to gain attention for themselves. If you want to make a play on Apple's defining ad campaign, it's about "thinking different." And done correctly, you will "be better"

edited February 2018 tmaybrucemcpscooter63watto_cobrajony0frumiusgilly33
  • Reply 29 of 96
    saltyzip said:
    Muntz said:
    saltyzip said:

Everybody in the tech industry knows the Pixel 2 is the best smartphone camera

I've just read this tweet #shotonpixel

Be different not the same!
    Looks no better than any photo shot on a modern smartphone to me. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 96
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    sdw2001 said:

Considering this is an Apple centric site I’d love to see an editorial about, say, Siri and what Apple can and should do to make it better or maybe a discussion on the rumored software changes and how Apple can improve their software processes and quality going forward. Or maybe a piece about what would be good to see software wise in the future for the HomePod. A Siri intent for music and podcasts? The ability to recognize different voices and offer multi user support? These are just a few examples. There are plenty of editorials and pieces about Apple that could generate good discussion. I wish more rumor sites would run  pieces that could generate this kind of discussion. 9to5Mac does on occasion but they seem to be the only one.

I personally love the new style I've seen as of late.  It's factual and aggressive, and relatively brief.  It's about time Google is called out on their shit.  
    Yeah, no one here ever does that...
    /s

... while using the other side of their mouths to complain when Google sans bashing is brought up by others on an Apple-centric site. Consistency is somewhat lacking.
    edited February 2018 rogifan_new
  • Reply 31 of 96
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    darelrex said:
    Note that Apple's original goal for iPhone's first full calendar year was a very modest 10 million units (it sold 13). And that was a few years before iPhone took off like a rocket, and even more years before everybody and their sister absolutely had to have a smartphone in their pocket. The product category is a decade and running, but Google sells 3.9 million units its first calendar year.
    Wrong. The Pixel is really Nexus 2.0, so this is not Google's first foray into hardware, no matter how it's spun. 
    Furthermore you can not compare what Apple sold in 2007, with what Google sells in 2018. Different eras. 
    Like comparing an up and coming swimmer's personal bests to Mark Spitz's records from 1972, when you should be comparing them to Michael Phelps's times from 2016.  

jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 96
    SendMcjakSendMcjak Posts: 66unconfirmed, member
    It seems like the intention of this article (aptly: "piece") was to assert that Google's advertising doesn't work, but the article speaks out of both sides of its mouth.

If the Pixel is a lackluster piece of hardware ("a turd"), then even the world's best advertising won't work, especially -- as the article points out -- when one considers the limited target demographic (high-end, premium priced Android).
  • Reply 33 of 96
    They have been trying since 2008.
    Its time to stop Google!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 96
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    saltyzip said:

At the end of the day the pixel 2 has been rated as a superb phone, and most of those educated in this business seems to carry one and use it as their main driver, stipulating the camera is incredible.

Also Samsung makes prettier phones at the pixel 2 price range, the uneducated don't take into account software updates or unlimited photo and video backups and no bloat at the point of sale.

Unless the sales staff advise their customers of this the customer will walk out with a Samsung everytime.

Why doesn't Google sell in any other country's? What's stopping them? It's not like they are selling so many that don't have enough to start selling in new markets. The simple fact is the phones are hardly selling in the current markets they're in now. If Google sold the phone everywhere they possibly could in the world, would they even get another million sold?

For a advertising company, they sure can't even sell their own phones all that well.
    randominternetpersonmacky the mackywatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 96
    The only thing I don't like about this article is that it is so short! Great work, Dilger - you always hit the nail on the head! It is astonishing that Goophabet receives such praise: definitely another indication of an intellectually weak and disingenuous media. Poor htc - the next bonfire.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 96
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    SendMcjak said:
    It seems like the intention of this article (aptly: "piece") was to assert that Google's advertising doesn't work, but the article speaks out of both sides of its mouth.

If the Pixel is a lackluster piece of hardware ("a turd"), then even the world's best advertising won't work, especially -- as the article points out -- when one considers the limited target demographic (high-end, premium priced Android).

So what's the excuse for the poor sales of their low-end Nexus Phones?  You know before they decided there was no money in doing that, and figured they would be better off copying Apple and releasing the Pixel phones.   Nothing has changed.

How is it that Google mocks the iPhone last year for not having a headphone jack, and then the following year, doesn't have a headphone jack?  Not only that but selling the phones that have half the storage of the iPhone for the same price.  Phone adapters that cost twice as much as Apple's and don't even come with a pair of wired headphones?
    Not to mention their Bluetooth Headphone offering is a joke in comparison to Apple's AirPods.

How does a company, who is in advertising,  who make most of their money in ads, can't seem to sell their own hardware?   You'll even notice that there's not a single Android Wear Watch in their store anymore.  Nothing, like that whole market, no longer exists.   What is going on with Google?   Know anyone with an AndroidTV?  I don't!!!  Maybe a Chromecast.    I'm on Youtube a lot, and there's more ads than ever.  Google is always trying to get me to sign up for their paid service, NOPE!!!!

randominternetpersonwatto_cobragilly33
  • Reply 37 of 96
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    thedba said:
    darelrex said:
    Note that Apple's original goal for iPhone's first full calendar year was a very modest 10 million units (it sold 13). And that was a few years before iPhone took off like a rocket, and even more years before everybody and their sister absolutely had to have a smartphone in their pocket. The product category is a decade and running, but Google sells 3.9 million units its first calendar year.
    Wrong. The Pixel is really Nexus 2.0, so this is not Google's first foray into hardware, no matter how it's spun. 
    Furthermore you can not compare what Apple sold in 2007, with what Google sells in 2018. Different eras. 
    Like comparing an up and coming swimmer's personal bests to Mark Spitz's records from 1972, when you should be comparing them to Michael Phelps's times from 2016.  

In some ways you are correct, noting of course that Google has never been in control of any Nexus or Pixel engineering, design and manufacturing up to now.  They've been reliant on selected Android OEM's to submit proposals to engineer and build what Google says they'd like to have. Now Google is running out of excuses since taking control of an experienced team a few months ago, one perfectly capable of engineering a smartphone to Google's exact specifications and design.

This year will be the first where a Google Pixel will be largely a Google product and not just one with some Google engineered Android features. As smartphone manufacturing is reportedly a two year process, 2019 will be the year Google runs out of any remaining excuses for an inferior product. Let's see how committed and capable they really are. Personally I'm not convinced they're "in it to win it"  but would be pleased to be surprised.  
  • Reply 38 of 96
    shevshev Posts: 84member
    at least their assistant isn't a waste of time and processing power tbf.
    cropr
  • Reply 39 of 96
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    I agree that Google Pixel phones are not really a success, but calling Android a failure is plain BS. It is the most successful mobile OS on the planet with a market share of 75% and it is generating massively ad income for Google. Would love to have such a failure in my product portfolio.
    edited February 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 40 of 96
    sdw2001 said:

Why? How are they threatening Apple in any way. If this phone is as bad as DED says why even waste any time on it?
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam