BEWARE!! BH Photo reporting purchases to State

Posted:
in General Discussion
I think it is really wrong of both BH Photo and Apple insider to market that BH doesn’t charge sales tax outside of NY and NJ. I just got a tax notice from BH saying that they are reporting my $142 in purchases from last year to my State of Colorado so I’m reported as needing to pay sales tax.

that feels like a privacy violation. No other vendor does that which I’m aware of.

I emailed appleinsider to inquire but was ignored.
BEWARE!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    1) B&H doesn't charge state tax at the point of purchase. That doesn't mean that your state won't come after you for it.
    2) This is actually a law, that an out-of-state vendor report to the state of purchase
    3) We got no email from anybody talking about this
    4) This is between you, B&H, and the state
  • Reply 2 of 3
    1. Right, but seriously, a retailer sending personal info to a state tax agency is a new paradigm. I think it is more than disingenuous to advertise with great hype all over your site that BH doesn't charge state taxes. What they do it worse, because at least that would be anonymous beyond BH. Instead they send your personal info to a state tax agency and report your purchase. The fact is that you would be better off buying from some other vendor that doesn't do that. You would be considerate to your viewers to make that clear.

2. Fine. But BH does it, most others do not, and their advertising makes it look like you are getting the benefit of no tax on your purchase. But they report you.

3. Strange, I think I sent it to a woman who posted the pricing from BH as an Appleinsider article on your homepage about getting great deals from BH.

4. Hmmm. You guys and them are clearly joined at the hip. All I'm saying is that you should do your readers a service and explain the truth about buying from BH, especially since they appear to be the only online retailer to have a process like this, law or no law. Perhaps stop trying to advertise that give appleinsider viewers the best deals. Recalibrate to advertise what the truly best deals are....there are many others.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    comtn said:
    1. Right, but seriously, a retailer sending personal info to a state tax agency is a new paradigm. I think it is more than disingenuous to advertise with great hype all over your site that BH doesn't charge state taxes. What they do it worse, because at least that would be anonymous beyond BH. Instead they send your personal info to a state tax agency and report your purchase. The fact is that you would be better off buying from some other vendor that doesn't do that. You would be considerate to your viewers to make that clear.

2. Fine. But BH does it, most others do not, and their advertising makes it look like you are getting the benefit of no tax on your purchase. But they report you.

3. Strange, I think I sent it to a woman who posted the pricing from BH as an Appleinsider article on your homepage about getting great deals from BH.

4. Hmmm. You guys and them are clearly joined at the hip. All I'm saying is that you should do your readers a service and explain the truth about buying from BH, especially since they appear to be the only online retailer to have a process like this, law or no law. Perhaps stop trying to advertise that give appleinsider viewers the best deals. Recalibrate to advertise what the truly best deals are....there are many others.
    E-retailers reporting large purchases to a state taxation commission has been happening since 2012. They are not the only online retailer to do so. In fact, you're supposed to self-report in Colorado and it is literally not our responsibility to make sure that you are compliant with your state's taxation laws.

In any event, see point 4. Take it up with your state taxation commission. 
    edited February 2018
This discussion has been closed.