T-Mobile plans $200-plus discount on Apple's iPhone X starting Feb. 23

Posted:
in iPhone
Looking to snag a key demographic, T-Mobile is offering U.S. customers a discount of over $200 on an iPhone X, starting this Friday.

The deal is subject to a number of restrictions. Buyers must, for instance, trade in an older phone, and pay the regular price upfront -- in the case of a 64-gigabyte model, a $279.99 downpayment and $30 per month for two years, plus the associated data plan.

The discount comes in the form of a rebate issued via a prepaid MasterCard, and canceling service will automatically return the iPhone to full price. Similarly, the promotion may not be eligible in tandem with some other perks.

The iPhone X is Apple's most expensive iPhone to date, starting at $999 and topping out at $1,149 for a 256-gigabyte model -- more than some Macs. This is mainly because of its edge-to-edge, 5.8-inch OLED screen, but also because of its 3D-sensing TrueDepth camera used for tasks like Face ID and animoji.

Apple is expected to launch two OLED iPhones later this year, sized at 5.8 and 6.5 inches. It's not clear how much they'll cost, but a 6.1-inch LCD model should serve as a more affordable alternative.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    Clearly this means Apple Is Doomed™ and the iPhone X is not selling¡ /s
  • Reply 2 of 29
    jsmythe00 said:
    ...they need to do something to move that boring and buggy phone
    I want to attract new users so I offer the most boring and buggy phone at a discount to get them. Should I not have offered the most coveted phone to attract new users?
    randominternetpersonJWSCStrangeDayspscooter63RonnnieO
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Did I miss the "key demographic" this deal is targeting?
  • Reply 4 of 29
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    iPhone X,8,8 Plus,7,etc selling well so save your breath. I would take advantage of any iPhones deal. Here is one awesome deal at AT&T and expiring tomorrow. So, just get it. >> AT&T SMARTPHONE BOGO: Offer ends 2/22/18. Elig Devices: iPhone X 64 GB ($1,000), iPhone X 256 GB ($1,150), iPhone 8 Plus 64GB ($800), iPhone 8 Plus 256GB ($950), iPhone 8 64GB ($700) and iPhone 8 256GB ($850). May buy any combo of these elig. devices. Free/discounted device will be the lowest priced device, and credits will not exceed $1,000. iPhone X 256GB is discounted but not free
    edited February 2018 bshank
  • Reply 5 of 29
    I have the iPhone X and I love it. The fingerprint just never worked on my 7 plus, but the X facial ID is great.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    jsmythe00 said:
    Yawn. Next!

jsmythe00 said:
    Things aren't flying off the shelves. Can't be that coveted .Not seeing any sold out signs anywhere .

And although you can't take too much stock in supply chain movement, I'm willing to bet the huge drop in Samsung screen demand is due to lackluster demand for IPX
    You don’t know. When did you ever see “sold out signs” posted anywhere? And I’ll take that bet. 

jsmythe00 said:
    wood1208 said:
    iPhone X,8,8 Plus,7,etc selling well so save your breath. I would take advantage of any iPhones BOGO deal Here is better deal at AT&T and expiring tomorrow. AT&T SMARTPHONE BOGO: Offer ends 2/22/18. Select locations. Elig Devices: iPhone X 64 GB ($1,000), iPhone X 256 GB ($1,150), iPhone 8 Plus 64GB ($800), iPhone 8 Plus 256GB ($950), iPhone 8 64GB ($700) and iPhone 8 256GB ($850). May buy any combo of these elig. devices. Free/discounted device will be the lowest priced device, and credits will not exceed $1,000. iPhone X 256GB is discounted but not free
    I guess they are.  I've only seen 5 in the wild .
    You’re still here? I saw a bunch back in December in both Europe and the US. Way more than five. But anecdotes are like assholes, amirite?
    edited February 2018 StrangeDaysmac_dogpscooter63
  • Reply 7 of 29
    I'd be all over a 128GB model for $800.  Too bad Apple didn't make that the base model and only offers 64GB and 256GB.  As it is I'll wait until fall and see what the 6.1" LCD device looks like.  I'm also hoping for a smaller LCD model as well, something in the 5.6" range.  My wife doesn't care for the size of her 6 Plus and would prefer something smaller.
    mac_dog
  • Reply 8 of 29
    I can see why this is happening, some places. At the carrier store I work at, the iPhone X barely moves at all. We've sold maybe 3 since November. The starting price of $1329CDN scares off most buyers, and even the subsidized price of $600 over a 2 year contract is still a far cry from most other iPhones. The iPhone 8 for instance, can be had for as low as $0 subsidized. To be honest, our biggest sellers are the iPhone 7 and iPhone 6. I do understand, however, the iPhone X isn't for everyone and I highly doubt it was positioned that way. So, lower sales are to be expected. 
  • Reply 9 of 29
    jsmythe00 said:
    That why they're selling Note 8s for $350?

• Reply 10 of 29
    How is the deal $200 off an iPhone X when you have to trade in a phone that, in looking at the list of eligible devices, is probably worth more than $200 to begin with?

Best case, you're breaking even.  Worst case, trade in your 7+ 256GB to get $200 off a phone?  
    fastasleepmuthuk_vanalingampscooter63
  • Reply 11 of 29
    jsmythe00 said:
    jsmythe00 said:
    Yawn. Next!

jsmythe00 said:
    Things aren't flying off the shelves. Can't be that coveted .Not seeing any sold out signs anywhere .

And although you can't take too much stock in supply chain movement, I'm willing to bet the huge drop in Samsung screen demand is due to lackluster demand for IPX
    You don’t know. When did you ever see “sold out signs” posted anywhere? And I’ll take that bet. 

jsmythe00 said:
    wood1208 said:
    iPhone X,8,8 Plus,7,etc selling well so save your breath. I would take advantage of any iPhones BOGO deal Here is better deal at AT&T and expiring tomorrow. AT&T SMARTPHONE BOGO: Offer ends 2/22/18. Select locations. Elig Devices: iPhone X 64 GB ($1,000), iPhone X 256 GB ($1,150), iPhone 8 Plus 64GB ($800), iPhone 8 Plus 256GB ($950), iPhone 8 64GB ($700) and iPhone 8 256GB ($850). May buy any combo of these elig. devices. Free/discounted device will be the lowest priced device, and credits will not exceed $1,000. iPhone X 256GB is discounted but not free
    I guess they are.  I've only seen 5 in the wild .
    You’re still here? I saw a bunch back in December in both Europe and the US. Way more than five. But anecdotes are like assholes, amirite?
    Err Signs as in blog or news reports of sell outs 
    After nearly 4 months on the market? Has that ever happened with any iPhone model?
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 12 of 29
    jsmythe00 said:
    ...said the troll. 

Troll Score: 2 of 10. Lacking creativity. 
    RonnnieO
  • Reply 13 of 29

jsmythe00 said:

Sorry but you’re full of shit — Cook contradicts your troll claim directly, saying it was the best selling of all iphones every week it was out last quarter. Oops. 

What other narratives are you pushing?
    mac_dogpscooter63
  • Reply 14 of 29

jsmythe00 said:

Sorry but you’re full of shit — Cook contradicts your troll claim directly, saying it was the best selling of all iphones every week it was out last quarter. Oops. 

Here's something to blow your mind...another perspective!  Yes, the ONE quarter that the iPhone was available, it was 1) Brand new, so will sell heavily, and 2) Christmas, so everyone is looking for a present to give.  Tim was right.  THAT quarter is was HOT!  NOW, sadly, that quarter is over.  Possibly, just possibly, most everyone that wanted one, got one in the 1st three months.  Christmas gift-giving is over.  Is it plausible that sales will be down this quarter and the next and the next?  Of course it is if you remove your bias...

How do you like your iPhone X, btw?
    edited February 2018 avon b7
  • Reply 15 of 29
    deminsd said:

jsmythe00 said:

Here's something to blow your mind...another perspective!  Yes, the ONE quarter that the iPhone was available, it was 1) Brand new, so will sell heavily, and 2) Christmas, so everyone is looking for a present to give.  Tim was right.  THAT quarter is was HOT!  NOW, sadly, that quarter is over.  Possibly, just possibly, most everyone that wanted one, got one in the 1st three months.  Christmas gift-giving is over.  Is it plausible that sales will be down this quarter and the next and the next?  Of course it is if you remove your bias...

How do you like your iPhone X, btw?
    The ‘reports’ and the regurgitations by people who have no interest in being accurate are too easily believed. They simply want to say something bad about Apple. Why? Because it gets clicks and attention—spin some data (partially true or completely fabricated) as the doom of Apple and you get attention by Apple haters who love it and Apple lovers who are annoyed by it. Yes it’s that petty and childish. Don’t be so eager to believe the stories you’re hearing.

And BTW, I like my iPhone X. I liked my Jet Black 7 a little better but I wanted the bigger screen and the X is a nice phone. I like the gestures a lot more than the home button and FaceID works easily for me even at most angles. I have no reason to complain and don’t regret upgrading at all. 
    mac_dog
  • Reply 16 of 29
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    jsmythe00 said:

Ha. Or Sammy overestimated demand from non-Apple vendors. 
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Cmon, AI. The proper headline is "T-Mobile to SLASH iPhone X prices to boost flagging sales"
    Rayz2016pscooter63
  • Reply 18 of 29
    deminsd said:

jsmythe00 said:

I bet you say that about every iPhone this time of year. BTW, Chinese new year (big gift giving holiday) is this quarter, so you'll just save your pessimism for next quarter. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 19 of 29
    The $200 off has a lot of limitations.  The type of smartphone, if you are a current customer and what plan you are currently on, etc...  I did not qualify because I an on an individual $75 a month plan.  I don't care since I thinking of moving to another carrier anyways.  Been with T-Mobile for 12 years and time for a change!
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    This looks like a company using the popularity of the iPhone to hide a deal that isn’t that great.  The rebate will be more than cancelled out by the data plan you’re tied to. 

These days it makes more sense to buy your phone and plan separately. 

muthuk_vanalingampscooter63