New Apple 'Switch to iPhone' ads promote support & environmental footprint

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    pakitt said:
    Nice simple ads to the point.
    But regarding support, yes but... no. I have an issue with iCloud Calendar - it shows 3 birthdays in February of contacts I have deleted a couple of years ago.
    I call support, I get redirected to a manager. He takes the issue personally and pleads to help me. After 2 phone calls and several emails and giving him my availability one full day, I am still waiting him to call me back.
    And the birthday entries are still there.

The only solution I see is to delete all my contacts, resync with "nothing" and hope they disappear. Then reactivate my contacts. And hope nothing shows up from the dead.

PS: I never received an email to rate the support guy...or a reminder that my case is still open and if I want to do anything about it.
    Yea, I've had Apple support people really give fixing this kind of stuff an honest shot, but eventually, they seem to just give up. I went through 3 tiers of support on an problem with AppleID and software downloads, and they never were able to fix it. I ended up just having to start from scratch. Apple's 'cloud' - while it works much better than it used to - is still a very weak spot in the eco-system.

airnerd said:
    I got airpods and can't remember the last time I used my headphone port.  And I'm old, so I should be the hardest to convince to adopt new tech.  
    Hopefully your health will remain OK. But, it isn't a matter of new vs old tech. It's a matter of standards. There are many times to want something wired, and having to work through a non-standard dongle that's more fragile isn't an optimal solution. There's nothing more 'new tech' or 'high tech' about the Lightning vs 3.5mm jack. It's just Apple marketing baloney.

Notsofast said:
    Sorry to hear that. You might want to read the Samsung "privacy" statement first.  It will scare the hell out of you that basically everything you do on the phone gives them the right to scoop it up for their permanent use and to share with their "partners" or subsidiaries or successor companies.  They also admit to what the ultimate Big Brother, aka Google, is doing.  They are linking all of your data across sites, services, etc., into a master account under your name.  Of course, that's what Google is also doing, and to an even greater, previously unimaginable extent.    I can't believe anyone who read that statement would ever be comfortable knowing that Google and Samsung are amassing a massive dossier on you (Google calls it your "universal identifier"-- that in of itself is deplorable, but that dossier is available to law enforcement, as they concede in their privacy statements, but also to criminal hackers, intel agencies, despotic governments.   
    The only problem is that if you use the Internet, avoiding having this record built is darn near impossible. Yes, using an Android vs Apple will add *more* info to the stack, but there is going to be plenty there anyway.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    avon b7 said:
    On the environmental side, years ago (and I mean many years ago) I read that Apple dumped a lot of Macs in the desert.

Was that some kind of urban legend or was it true?
    I remember this story, but it wasn't about Macs -- it was about Lisa computers they could no longer sell because Macs came out so this was (ulp) 34 years ago now. I don't know if the Lisa story is true or an urban legend either, maybe someone here can verify or dispute.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 24
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    chasm said:
    avon b7 said:
    On the environmental side, years ago (and I mean many years ago) I read that Apple dumped a lot of Macs in the desert.

Was that some kind of urban legend or was it true?
    I remember this story, but it wasn't about Macs -- it was about Lisa computers they could no longer sell because Macs came out so this was (ulp) 34 years ago now. I don't know if the Lisa story is true or an urban legend either, maybe someone here can verify or dispute.
    Ah, thanks. That's probably why my searching came up blank too. I was searching with Mac instead of Lisa.

Thanks to visualzone and Fastasleep too for the links further up.
    edited February 2018 fastasleep
  • Reply 24 of 24
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Was that some kind of urban legend or was it true? If true, did they ever go and dig them out. That would be a nice story to tell if it were true.

Actively targeting Android users makes a lot of sense given how sales have stalled.

Note that YOY iPhone double digit sales growth expected for Apple's current quarter in a post below the graph.

As for that query about Apple dumping Macs in the desert, if it doesn't show up on Google, then it's likely an urban legend.
    Why are you responding with things that have nothing to do with what I say?

You are still stuck in one quarter. The one quarter that is misrepresentative of the year.

The iPhone X was only on sale for eight weeks in the last quarter. Don't you think that it's normal for demand for that phone to spill into this quarter? And that would affect YoY results (considering the X didn't exist last year and they now have three new models, plus the largest model spread ever)?

With regards to what I have been saying, recent pieces right here point in the direction of my view. For example, the possibility of a new SE in the spring, a possible budget level phone and Apple encouraging potential switchers.

BTW,  I think I saw my first iPhone X in the wild just now. Probably someone from MWC2018. The notch was there but the phone seemed larger than what I remembered from the Apple Store.

Maybe it was someone from Huawei with a pre release P20 Plus ;-)

edited February 2018