Fitbit preparing second foray into smart watches with new model having more 'mass appeal'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,121member
    Somewhere deepen the abyss of Fitbit’s HQ, some slick-talking manager said “let’s make it look like an Apple Watch” as if it were not a big deal.

big mistake.  Now you’re among the Samsungs of the world.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 27
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Apple likely sold ~9M Apple Watches in the last quarter.  Fitbit sold about 5.4M of total wearables - from their lowest priced tracker to the Ionic smart watch.

It is game over for Fitbit.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 27
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,407member
    Copycatsayswhat

jk. It’s only the natural convergence of design that leads us to something that apes the AW. Right?
    Actually, I agree with that. I mentioned the similarity with cars in another thread.

But as is often said of Apple, they use the Gretzky Principle. Pretenders say it's only copying if Apple adds something they already do, but didn't get quite right.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    it looks better than the blaze and ionic and i hope it spurs apple (not that it needs to) to up their game further with either a new model or additional must have features.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 27
    I’d buy one of these since I don’t like the battery life of the Apple Watch but if it’s close to the price of the Apple Watch then it’s a big NO since my Garmin does enough for me and I only have to charge it every 5 to 7 days depending my walks/runs. 
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Just think of how much time and money they could’ve saved if they’d paid more attention during the Apple keynotes. 

Still, it looks better than their last effort, but without HealthKit support, no sale. 
    This. I don't know why they're clinging steadfastly to not supporting HK. It makes no sense. 
    Well, it does from a pointy-haired manager's view on the world.

If they don't support Healthkit, then you're locked into their own platform. The more health data you have trapped there, then the less likely you are to leave the platform. 

Personally, I think it works against them: not being able to amalgamate data from other sources and apps means that folk are less likely to consider Fitbit.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Okay, now i understood the meaning of the "mass appeal". The Fitbit has already released 2 products for the kids (Ace) and adult (Versa). But lets just talk about the Versa because of i think the Ace might be not so mass appeal to kids.

The more compact watchcase of the Versa is designed to appeal to women and maybe men too that observed the Ionic too big. It’s more compact in most dimensions, along with lightweight, as well.The primary difference apart from dimension is the Versa’s absence of built-in GPS. As an alternative, it may utilize the GPS within your smartphone.The extras are better for the Versa I mean along– with steel straps options refused to Ionic owners.

It’s fundamentally an excellent choice for people who wanted the Ionic yet think it is exactly that bit too expensive.

But it is different story if you compare with the Blaze. It isn't a smartwatch in a similar manner as the Versa or even the Ionic because it can't accept additional applications, however for basic fitness tracking the Blaze still takes care of the business in spite of it being now-discontinued.