Analyst estimates average lifespan for all Apple devices at over four years

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    cgWerks said:
    I think lifespan, in this case, refers to useful, not just, 'does it still operate?'
    Of the 21 devices I listed that work and were older than five years old, only the four oldest iPhones, the 17-year-old iBook, and the Performa are rarely or never used. So that leaves 15 devices older than 4 years, that our household finds useful for an average age exceeding 10 years. 
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 42 of 44
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    flippysch said:
    Of the 21 devices I listed that work and were older than five years old, only the four oldest iPhones, the 17-year-old iBook, and the Performa are rarely or never used. So that leaves 15 devices older than 4 years, that our household finds useful for an average age exceeding 10 years. 
    Yes, you can sometimes find uses for them. But I'm finding older machines less and less useful these days. For example, if that LCII was still running, what would it be doing? Displaying your HyperCard inventory for the little museum? :)
  • Reply 43 of 44
    pk22901pk22901 Posts: 153member
    eightzero said:
    It is widely known (now) that the design lifetime of an iPhone is based on (about) a 2 year life of the battery...

4 years on average? Sure. But sort of a useless statistic.
    Hmmm....

I guess that means my 20 yr old flashlight died in 2000, 2 yrs after I bought it. Fortunately, iPhone batteries cost a small percentage of iPhone purchase price while the flashlight batteries exceed total flashlight purchase price.

edited March 2018
  • Reply 44 of 44
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    pk22901 said:
    eightzero said:
    It is widely known (now) that the design lifetime of an iPhone is based on (about) a 2 year life of the battery...

4 years on average? Sure. But sort of a useless statistic.
    Hmmm....

I guess that means my 20 yr old flashlight died in 2000, 2 yrs after I bought it. Fortunately, iPhone batteries cost a small percentage of iPhone purchase price while the flashlight batteries exceed total flashlight purchase price.
    I have no idea why anyone should only get 2 years out of their iPhone batteries. While I've only had one iPhone, I've had a bunch of other iOS devices and the batteries were going solid 4 to 5 years later. I'm over a year in on my iPhone SE and my battery health is at 98% yet. I'm going to have them replaced before the program ends, just in case, but the apps/OS will make it obsolete long before hardware problems.

Same with Macs. I used to keep Macs around for a decade sometimes. But, now app/OS incompatibility (or fear of security issues) has driven me down to more like a 5-6 year lifespan, I think.