California police turn to decoys & undercover agents to trap person shooting at Apple & Go...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    spice-boy said:
    Did any of you read the part about the economic class disruption these buses are assisting? Public bus stops, the kind that use public funded tax dollars are being used by private bus companies and possibly tech companies to shuttle their employees. Why must taxpayers subsidize companies like Apple and Google. I live in NYC and hyper gentrification has pretty much ruined the city I love. Google, Facebook and other tech companies are invading my residential neighborhood and lobbying city hall to change zoning laws which will allow for glass and steel offices building in our low rise, historic neighborhood. Community grass roots efforts are working to prevent this from happening but money usually wins in our capitalist society. Employees of Facebook are now living in newly built one bedroom apartments which sell for $1.5 million. A Catholic school, rectory and circa 1900 church were all demolished to make way for this condo. Meanwhile prices have soared as landlords know they can charge any price to get chain stores (something unheard of in NY until recent years) in commercial spaces, rent stabilized long term residents are either being bought out of their leases, or illegally forced out by gas and heating shut offs which extends for months. If you do not live in a major city you might not be experiencing this dramatic attack on how you live but I know that citizens of cities like San Francisco has suffered dearly from the tech boom. I pity the city which Amazon decides to gut. 

Finally, I do not condone shooting buses, however someone needs to disrupt the disruptors and bringing the fight more public is the first step. 
    One of the huge issues that's happening in the Bay Area and other cities along the west coast of the U.S. and Canada is the huge surge of people coming over from China. With so many middle and upper class Chinese now, they are flocking to the U.S. and Canada to send their kids to school. They buy up everything and make housing unaffordable. It's happening in places like San Francisco, Cupertino, Stanford, Vancouver, etc. 
  • Reply 22 of 55
    Yeah. Just tell it was NRA and from legal guns. Why not? Maybe police should take care of what happens in Oakland and cargo ship smuggling trail.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    fred1 said:

The solution is simple.

Start arming the bus drivers.
    There's an even better solution: disarm the perpetrators.  
    Not disarm. Prosecute. Just disarming will not making them stop.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,520member
    The solution is simple.

Then everyone who ever cut off a bus would be dead. 
    No, then you just arm everyone. It's the principle of mutually assured destruction. Everyone would know that if you ever used your gun, you would instantly be shot by everyone around you. And so that would ensure that nobody would ever use their gun. We know this would work because all people are rational game theorists, and carefully consider the costs and benefits of every decision they make. 

I suppose another option would be for nobody to have guns, but that's just silly -- people love guns! And it's clear why -- they're so useful for so many things! You can kill animals with them, add holes to things that need holes but don't currently have holes, etc. 

singularityGeorgeBMaccolinng[Deleted User]
  • Reply 25 of 55
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    blastdoor said:
    Yay guns! 
    In California, of all the states!...the state that is not pro-gun, but it is pro anti-fa, for example. Oh, the irony.
    California is not anti-firearms in the least. There are more registered firearms in CA than there are any other US state, expect Texas.

I'd hope every American is anti-fascism, but you do you wherever that may be.

There's no irony in any of those 4 potential pairings.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 26 of 55
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    My rent has gone up 40% in the past 4 years.  Damn you Apple!

Wait I don’t live in California...
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 27 of 55
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    fred1 said:

The solution is simple.

Nope.  

Since they can’t even identify the shooters they should give the drivers automatic weapons, so they can spray the neighborhoods (with bullets) as they drive through them.

I always wanted my country to look like a 3rd world nation.  Think about all the money that could be saved on air conditioning...
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 28 of 55
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,500member
    spice-boy said:
    ... Public bus stops, the kind that use public funded tax dollars are being used by private bus companies and possibly tech companies to shuttle their employees. 
    These stops do not impede the use of public transportation, I’ve seen many services and people who pick up at bus stops. Also, large corporations pay taxes too, and their highly paid employees also pay taxes, even though they may never use public transportation.

Frivilous large corporations drastically improve local infrastructures, even if they receive drastic tax cuts, their highly paid and taxed employees foot the bill. They also enrich the local economy with restaurants, coffee shops, movie theatres, and other businesses.

Cancerous corporations are the likes of Walmart, which basically bankrupts small businesses and suck the life out of city taxes by demanding free roads and real estate. Then they shutdown and look for a new gullible, bribable local governors.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    dws-2 said:
    lkrupp said:

blastdoor said:
    Yay guns! 
    So ban pellet rifles too? How about rocks?
    Those are not equal in the amount of damage they can do. You might have heard the old saw, "Don't take a pellet rifle to an assault rifle fight."
    frankie said:
    The solution is simple.

HAHA so true,.  That would be the NRA, and thus the GOP's response.
    Steideard said:
    lkrupp said:
    airnerd said:
    This is not the same issue. There has been a long running battle between social activists wanting affordable housing and big tech companies who’s highly paid employees they blame for the rising cost of housing. Apple, Google, and other have been busing their employees to work from San Francisco and surrounding area. So this is likely some unhinged activist who has taken things too far.
    Anarchists calling themselves social activists even lose what "respectability" they have among social historians. Among legitimate activists, women and men striving for social and economic change, anarchy is nothing more than dimwits trying to justify political masturbation.

EDIT: Okay, I edited these quotes, I wrote a post, I hit submit, and everything was reverted to just the bare quotes. I’m leaving it. Fucking Quiller.
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 30 of 55
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Soli said:
    blastdoor said:
    Yay guns! 
    In California, of all the states!...the state that is not pro-gun, but it is pro anti-fa, for example. Oh, the irony.
    California is not anti-firearms in the least. There are more registered firearms in CA than there are any other US state, expect Texas.

Texas requires firearm registration?
  • Reply 31 of 55
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Holy jeez, AI....  Change the title to include air-gun or pellet gun so the genius trolls who don't read the article stop embarrassing themselves.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 32 of 55
    frankie said:
    The solution is simple.

HAHA so true,.  That would be the NRA, and thus the GOP's response.
    You will have a smaller desire to do something stupid to a car, if you know that an armed person is in that car. Just saying. Self preservation is a good deterrent. A gun in 98% of cases is a good deterrent that helps prevent the use of violence. Yeah, such a weird concept....that somehow works (not only in humans, but in animal kingdom, as well).
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 33 of 55
    fred1 said:

The solution is simple.

The real solution is to ban pellet guns altogether! Alone with rocks and stones and other throw-able objects lest they might be used by someone for something terrible.
    airnerd
  • Reply 34 of 55
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,130member
    blastdoor said:
    The solution is simple.

Then everyone who ever cut off a bus would be dead. 
    No, then you just arm everyone. It's the principle of mutually assured destruction. Everyone would know that if you ever used your gun, you would instantly be shot by everyone around you. And so that would ensure that nobody would ever use their gun. We know this would work because all people are rational game theorists, and carefully consider the costs and benefits of every decision they make. 

I suppose another option would be for nobody to have guns, but that's just silly -- people love guns! And it's clear why -- they're so useful for so many things! You can kill animals with them, add holes to things that need holes but don't currently have holes, etc. 

Yea, great idea except that the shooter gets shot *after* he or she has killed other people.  Sure he/she won't do it again, but that doesn't bring back the dead.  Plus the problem of the danger that exists when everyone holds a lethal device.  Can we take away all the guns and replace them with swords?  At least the potential victims will have a chance.  
  • Reply 35 of 55
    fred1 said:
    spice-boy said:
    Did any of you read the part about the economic class disruption these buses are assisting? Public bus stops, the kind that use public funded tax dollars are being used by private bus companies and possibly tech companies to shuttle their employees. Why must taxpayers subsidize companies like Apple and Google. I live in NYC and hyper gentrification has pretty much ruined the city I love. Google, Facebook and other tech companies are invading my residential neighborhood and lobbying city hall to change zoning laws which will allow for glass and steel offices building in our low rise, historic neighborhood. Community grass roots efforts are working to prevent this from happening but money usually wins in our capitalist society. Employees of Facebook are now living in newly built one bedroom apartments which sell for $1.5 million. A Catholic school, rectory and circa 1900 church were all demolished to make way for this condo. Meanwhile prices have soared as landlords know they can charge any price to get chain stores (something unheard of in NY until recent years) in commercial spaces, rent stabilized long term residents are either being bought out of their leases, or illegally forced out by gas and heating shut offs which extends for months. If you do not live in a major city you might not be experiencing this dramatic attack on how you live but I know that citizens of cities like San Francisco has suffered dearly from the tech boom. I pity the city which Amazon decides to gut. 

Finally, I do not condone shooting buses, however someone needs to disrupt the disruptors and bringing the fight more public is the first step. 
    These companies with buses are already being charged something like $1 per bus per stop to help relieve the economic strain on the city of San Francisco.  As for housing prices as a result of these people, I don't have a solution except that many cities require a percentage of new housing to be for low income people.  San Francisco is one.  And you can bet that the Catholic school, rectory and church building were bought for a pretty penny, more than enough for them to be rebuilt elsewhere.  
    Yeah, because forcing the market with a s-turdy hand always works.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    Soli said:
    blastdoor said:
    Yay guns! 

Texas requires firearm registration?
    Has? Yes. Requires? Well that depends on the firearm. In general they are very loose with their allowance of unregistered, concealed handguns and rifles.

More to the point, it's unclear whether my use of registered from the source is accurately using the word register, so it's possible that the number of firearms per state are considerably higher if it doesn't count unregistered.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,658member
    spice-boy said:

Thanks for clearly articulating one side of the situation. It would also be good to hear someone describe the other side, i.e., the regular Joe/Jane working stiff at FB, Apple, Google, etc., trying to provide a decent standard of living and quality of life for themselves and their families in a highly competitive and costly enviroment. It's a tough situation where municipalities are pitting one side against the other. Both sides need to have empathy, and many individuals do, but when the ones who are causing the situation, developers and municipalities, just stand idly on the sidelines and reap the economic benefits the opposing sides quickly transition from empathy to resentment. Resentment is a root cause trigger for people to engage in very ugly actions. So what's the solution? There is no easy one, but getting all sides engaged at the planning stages and looking for compromises and balance would be a move in the right direction. Unfortunately greed and selfishness usually trump empathy, compromise, and balance.
    edited March 2018 airnerd
  • Reply 38 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    The real solution is to ban pellet guns altogether! Alone with rocks and stones and other throw-able objects lest they might be used by someone for something terrible.
    I can throw my voice with insults. Better ban assault tongues.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    I can throw my voice with insults. Better ban assault tongues.
    How many deaths are associated with your words? There might be more federal laws regulating speech than there are firearms. Hell, we have an entire agency that regulates communications, the FCC, and yet the federal agency that deals with firearms has to share it with tobacco and explosives. Tobacco! Nicotine is a drug so it should be under the FDA umbrella. I'd think the FCC is also more adamant about regulating speech as seen by the number of fines Howard Stern has received over the decades.

PS: Ironically, the people* that are all for a blanket allowance of the 2nd Amendment typically don't feel the same way about the 1st Amendment. These are people that are actually for not allowing certain words like vagina and shit on TV because it will corrupt the youth. Oh the humanity!

PPS: Also ironic, 8 years of claiming that Obama is coming for your guns and claims that Hillary would do if prescient and yet the person to even suggest taking guns away from any US citizen without due process is Trump. I'm not sure if that's more funny or more sad.

* Bible thumping ammosexuals.
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 40 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    airnerd said:
    Sounds like bored/stupid people doing stupid stuff.  Boeing had this issue, I think they still do.  As they would move their fuselages via rail, they would end up at the end of the line with .22 holes in them.  People were shooting at the trains as they rolled by.  
    When a person was shooting at cars on the freeways in Arizona, the people fought back by forming posses and the perpetrator was found quickly. No, they didn’t just kill the idiot. However, bounty hunters could just as easily be hired to find the scum shooting at these buses.
This discussion has been closed.