Apple picks Sony's Angelica Guerra to head up Latin American video programming

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
The latest executive recruit for Apple's worldwide video division is Angelica Guerra, who will take charge of Latin American programming, according to a report on Friday.

Guerra is starting this month, and will report to head of international creative development Morgan Wandell, Variety said on Friday. Previously Guerra was Sony Pictures Television's senior vice president and managing director of production for Latin America and U.S. Hispanic.

While many of Guerra's credits may not be familiar to English-speaking audiences, one of them is "Metastasis," a Spanish-language version of AMC's "Breaking Bad."

Sony has been very fertile recruiting ground for Apple. Some past hires include development executives Max Aronson and Ali Woodruff, documentary series chief Kim Rozenfeld, and the people ultimately in charge of Apple's original video, Jamie Erlicht and Zack Van Amburg.

Although Apple was once reported to be working on a "small" slate of original TV shows for 2019, that list has been growing continuously, most recently with a 10-episode thriller produced by M. Night Shyamalan. Other shows on the way include an "Amazing Stories" reboot, a sci-fi show by "Star Trek" and "Battlestar Galactica" veteran Ronald Moore, and a sketch comedy show with Kristen Wiig.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    Shouldn’t there be some sort of citation for the imbedded image? I’m guessing it’s from the show Metastasis mentioned in the article but I think a proper link tagged to the image is called for. 
    wonkothesane
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I honestly cringe when I see a programming with such a broad scope as “Latin America”. Even for the majority of Spanish speaking nations. Being from Brazil, with its even more distinct culture, it gives me the jitters to have someone, from an altogether different culture, in charge of media content for such a vast region.

Even though Brazil is a Portuguese speaking nation of 200M+, Hollywood still has no idea of what we look like, speak, etc. Most of the time, a Brazilian is portrayed by a clearly Hispanic person, with a Portuguese so broken that even we can’t understand it without subtitles.

So, as a long time Apple customer, I really hope that Apple does this job right, because their track record on content, and equality on media distribution (we still don’t have TV Shows on iTunes here!!!), isn’t exactly spotless.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    >"I honestly cringe when I see a programming with such a broad scope as “Latin America”.

For good reason: when they say "Latin America," what they mean is "Mexico." There is no distinction because Mexico's footprint is much, much, much larger than all of the other countries combined, even yes, than Brazil. A country and audience, by the way, they certainly do *not* care about. (And by "they", I refer to any broadcaster or media company/group, not necessarily Apple.)
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 4 of 4
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Are they sure a Hispanic woman is the best choice for the job? Seems like ‘typecasting’.

/s
    edited March 2018