Google search iPhone app gets iMessage support, iOS 11 drag-and-drop & share sheet option

Posted:
in iPhone
Google on Monday announced several upgrades for its iPhone and iPad search app, designed to weave it more deeply into everyday use.

One of these is an iMessage extension, which lets people find and share content such as videos and nearby restaurants in the middle of a text conversation. In the case of a restaurant, a card will appear in the chat window, which the other person can tap on to see more detailed information such as reviews and typical busy times.

When using Safari, Chrome, or another iOS Web browser, tapping "Search Google" after opening the share sheet will pop up items related to the page a person is on, eliminating the need to copy and paste or manually enter search queries.

iPad owners with iOS 11, lastly, can now drag and drop text, links, and images into other compatible apps.

The iMessage extension is only available in the U.S. for the moment, Google clarified. The Google app is a free download and runs on any device with iOS 10 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Never actually seen the point in this google search app, cause you can just use Safari to do the same thing.
    magman1979macseekerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    mavemufc said:
    Never actually seen the point in this google search app, cause you can just use Safari to do the same thing.
    You beat me to it...

The only reason I can see for this app is, finding a way to force Google Now onto iOS, and collecting / aggregating all the user's usage / search data, as that can be blocked if a user has a Ad Blocker installed on their iOS Safari...

Good ol' Google doing evil as always!
    macseekerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I always use Google app on iOS because Siri sucks so bad. I hate typing on an iPhone so I want good voice features and only Google delivers. Haven't tried the new app yet but I will when I get time.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    I stopped using Google search on my iPhone and i don't think i will ever switch back. The adds are so annoying.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    I have never used anything Google on an iPhone and its been like more than 8 years now. In fact I don't even have Google search as my default internet search engine on my Macs. The only Google product I use on my computers is their YouTube service, as there is simply no alternatives.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    aegean said:
    I have never used anything Google on an iPhone and its been like more than 8 years now. In fact I don't even have Google search as my default internet search engine on my Macs. The only Google product I use on my computers is their YouTube service, as there is simply no alternatives.
    Well, the majority of people do use Google.