Apple HomePod sales 'underwhelming,' AirPods still growing, analyst says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    bitmod said:
    Man, surprising news - considering people can get the equivalent of a $50,000 audiophile system for $350 - plus the added bonus of a smart system (according to the usual AI fanboys). 
    Meanwhile, back in reality - I think there are a few barriers:
    - Privacy. Not a lot of people want an 'always listening' device. 
    - Competition. There are better 'smart' systems out there.
    - Sound Quality. It's good for a smart speaker - but audiophiles don't buy toys to listen to audio. If sound quality is your main priority - a smart speaker isn't on your radar. 
    - Limitations. No Spotify or 3rd party native support. Extremely limited connection capabilities. 
    - Requires Apple Music Subscription to take advantage of 'smart' functionality. 

But it sure fills a hallway with good sound... 
    Utter nonsense...

Privacy: wrong! The reason Siri doesn’t work as well as some others out there in some situations only BECAUSE of Apple’s strong focus on privacy!
    - Competition: wrong again. As said over and over, the main focus is on audio quality and that is where Apple nailed it. The others are the equivalent of AM radios of the past.
    - Sound Quality: wrong again. Audiophile reviews give it the highest praise for sound quality, competing with exponentially more expensive speakers.
    - Limitations: Spotify or third party support. Seriously? You can do that through your iPhone  or other Apple devices that support AirPlay. And no telling what Apple has in store for the future.
    - Airplay also solves your last point.
    equality72521kevin kee
  • Reply 22 of 91
    tylersdadtylersdad Posts: 310member
    freerange said:
    > It's a shame if this is true, because the HomePod does sound amazing

Sure, but my Yamaha stereo with two nice Mirage speakers sounds better. And that setup cost the same as a Home Pod.

It's just too expensive. This is an accessory, it can't cost as much as a full-blown iPad. And everyone knows it.

If you can't do it $199, don't do it. It's not like someone was forcing them to sell one.
    Yes, and mobile phones costing upwards of $1,000 will never sell! /s
    The difference is that most people don't pay that $1,000 up front for their phone--they pay with some sort of installment plan which makes it a little easier. And, frankly, most decent phones are well under this price. The X seems to be the only one that starts at such a premium price and it's sales have been lackluster. 

Time will tell how well this product performs for Apple from a sales standpoint. Personally, I just can't see adding one to my house. I have thousands of dollars in home theater equipment that eclipse the HomePod and I'm not about to spend $350 to listen to music in some remote room in my house that happens to be too far away from my home theater equipment. 
  • Reply 23 of 91
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    It's a shame if this is true, because the HomePod does sound amazing

Sure, but my Yamaha stereo with two nice Mirage speakers sounds better. And that setup cost the same as a Home Pod.

It's just too expensive. This is an accessory, it can't cost as much as a full-blown iPad. And everyone knows it.

If you can't do it $199, don't do it. It's not like someone was forcing them to sell one.
    Can you tell your Yamaha stereo to turn off the lights, lock the door or close the garage? Can you tell it to play a song list or answer some trivia questions? Can you tell it "good night" and your bedroom light dimmed down and bedtime music started? I guess not.
    equality72521colinng
  • Reply 24 of 91
    bitmod said:
    Man, surprising news - considering people can get the equivalent of a $50,000 audiophile system for $350 - plus the added bonus of a smart system (according to the usual AI fanboys). 
    - Sound Quality. It's good for a smart speaker - but audiophiles don't buy toys to listen to audio. If sound quality is your main priority - a smart speaker isn't on your radar. 
    - Limitations. No Spotify or 3rd party native support. Extremely limited connection capabilities. 

Couldn't agree more.
  • Reply 25 of 91
    fallenjt said:

Can you tell your Yamaha stereo to turn off the lights, lock the door or close the garage? Can you tell it to play a song list or answer some trivia questions? Can you tell it "good night" and your bedroom light dimmed down and bedtime music started? I guess not.

Perhaps not, but all he has to do is add a $50 Echo Dot ($30 on sale) and he can. And, frankly, it will work much better than Siri.
    larrya
  • Reply 26 of 91
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 809member

I've never used a Google or Amazon smart speaker (I have no need for what they offer) -- how do they handle requests for names like: Estrellita or La Paloma by Julio Iglesias?
    I tried playing a German song a few days ago on Alexa. At first it did not understand me, then I said "play the German song blah blah" and it understood. Haven;t tried it with Siri yet. I am wondering, though, how Siri interacts with Germans (ie Siri language set to German) that request to play English music titles (possibly pronounced with a German accent). Does it work?
  • Reply 27 of 91
    sandorsandor Posts: 659member

What is the footprint of your system? 

I have a pair of M-Audio AV-40s hooked up to my U-turn turntable, and it sounds wonderful, but i don't pretend that it is a setup that has the same audience as a pint sized device that is smaller than one of my speakers, let alone a set of speakers & receiver/amp.

As we all know, size is one of those elements that affects price.

My reasons for not jumping on it have more to do with the "connectivity"... i do not want my locks, lights, outlets, refrigerator, etc wired to the internet.

edited March 2018 equality72521
  • Reply 28 of 91
    bitmod said:

Have you ever personally tried a HomePod?

- Privacy:  Siri encrypts and anonymizes all communication between the HomePod and apple servers

- Competition:  name a better sounding speaker at that price -- dumb or smart 

- Sound Quality: there is a market for speakers between audio crap and so-called audiophiles

- Limitations: you can airplay any audio source to the HomePod

-- Requires Apple Music Subscription: Wrong -- I have 2 HomePods and, no Apple Music Subscription -- Siri plays, music from my iTunes library just fine -- all currently implemented features.

However, Siri has trouble identifying Spanish names like: Estrellita...  Though you you can spell out the name and 
    Siri will respond.

I've never used a Google or Amazon smart speaker (I have no need for what they offer) -- how do they handle requests for names like: Estrellita or La Paloma by Julio Iglesias?

Can you say: "Hey Siri, play my Workout channel on Spotify"? 

No. You can't. Not without first telling your iPhone or iPad to play it and then selecting the HomePod as the playback device.

Compare that to the Echo which WILL play back my workout channel from Spotify. 

For $350, I expect more than just a great speaker...though I have no doubt that the speaker is fantastic. I want something that--at least from a feature standpoint--competes with the other smart speakers on the market. The HomePod just doesn't.

That doesn't make it a bad speaker, it just means the potential market is a bit smaller. Most people can't tell the difference between 128Kbps encoded audio and VBR encoded audio. Do you really think they'll be able to tell the difference between the HomePod and something like the Echo? The vast majority will not.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 91
    epicurusepicurus Posts: 29member
    Some items take a little longer to gain a foothold and start selling, if Apple stopped products when they didn’t take off how fast analyst expected then apple wouldn’t be here today.. i personally can’t afford a homepod at this time but it’s on my list and if they ever make it to work like a soundbar i’d be quicker to get one, play off the tv, the apple tv, play movies easily i’m all in.. it took me a while but just got an iwatch and am now more inclined to workout.. i can’t afford the new iphone x, but next year i’ll be able to upgrade to the top phone, not everyone has the disposable income these analysts expect
    sflagelequality72521
  • Reply 30 of 91
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    I don't get why people think this is a "hit piece". Everybody already agrees that the HomePod is a marvelous piece of technology, sound-wise. But that fact, right there, is also what limits its appeal. No doubt, Apple will sell a few million units to those folks who care about the deeper "emotional connection" to the music that another commenter crows about. But, come on, most of us are happy with the music coming out of our mediocre headphones. Or the mediocre stereo that some folks still listen to. Heck, my daughter is even happy listening to (free) youtube songs on the terrible speaker on her iPhone SE. Even the HomePod is mindblowingly good - won't care, much less do a comparison listen. So the only way HomePod can sell in great volume (e.g. volumes like AirPod or Apple Watch, not iPhone) is if it had a feature that people want and/or need. One such feature would be the smart speaker angle. But Siri appears to be woefully inadequate (at this time) compared to Google Assistant & Alexa. Another possibility - and a more likely one, since Siri progress is measured in glacial time - is for the HomePod to be able to act as a sound bar. Personally, that's what I'm holding out for. I own just about every gadget Apple currently makes and I could easily afford the $350 asking price, but I don't really listen to music through speakers (AirPods have become a near constant companion) - the only time I wish for better speakers is when I'm watching a movie. I could really use a sound bar - but if I could use the HomePod I'd do so in a minute! Since we're 99% streamers, I'd be satisfied if the HomePod only provided the sound when using Apple TV - but even that doesn't seem to be quite there yet :-( As another poster said: most of the shortcomings are in software and can be remedied. I (and maybe others) will buy it when they actually are fixed.
  • Reply 31 of 91
    In the Apple Store it sounds like an off brand boom box.  If you want to pay $350 for something that sounds like a $100 Wal-Mart Bluetooth speaker, feel free.

Don’t forget that the $350 speaker costs $275 to repair out of warranty, so be sure to put out some more $ for the extended warranty.

Pass. I smell a flop. At least the old Spple HiFi was stereo.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 32 of 91
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    foggyhill said:
    bitmod said:

Blah blah blah, show the receipt or you're just blowing wind. At the end of the first year of sales, when Cook will give a hint at actual sales numbers (like he did for the Watch and airpods) I'm sure you'll be here to let me beat you up with that hmm. Not counting on it of course.
    Nothing to "beat me up" about... the HomePod is a fine product for some people I'm sure. 
    I'm just saying it's not for a lot of people - not with the barriers I've listed.
    It's a confusing product, and definitely not Apple's best foot forward out of the gate. 

I'm just not sure where the market is for the HP? It's not reference sound, it's not as smart as the competition...
    Admit it... it's kind of in an awkward spot at the moment. 

It's a perfect dorm-room toy for some kid who wants something other than headphones thou. 

Will it get more than 3% of the smart speaker marketshare? Probably a bit more. It just came out. 

sflagelmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 33 of 91
    bitmod said:

Have you ever personally tried a HomePod?

- Privacy:  Siri encrypts and anonymizes all communication between the HomePod and apple servers

- Competition:  name a better sounding speaker at that price -- dumb or smart 

- Sound Quality: there is a market for speakers between audio crap and so-called audiophiles

- Limitations: you can airplay any audio source to the HomePod

-- Requires Apple Music Subscription: Wrong -- I have 2 HomePods and, no Apple Music Subscription -- Siri plays, music from my iTunes library just fine -- all currently implemented features.

However, Siri has trouble identifying Spanish names like: Estrellita...  Though you you can spell out the name and Siri will respond.

- Yes tried it.
    - Snowden
    - At that price, don't know of any. But for a few hundred more... there is a world of better sounding speakers. 
    - You are probably right.
    - It is limited man. Nobody but AI readers disputes that. 
    - Mute point. It does require an AM subscription to take advantage of the 'smart' functionality from a streaming service (which Apple markets it as) and entire purpose of the device. 

• Reply 34 of 91
    freerange said:
    bitmod said:

Utter nonsense...

Privacy: wrong! The reason Siri doesn’t work as well as some others out there in some situations only BECAUSE of Apple’s strong focus on privacy!
    - Competition: wrong again. As said over and over, the main focus is on audio quality and that is where Apple nailed it. The others are the equivalent of AM radios of the past.
    - Sound Quality: wrong again. Audiophile reviews give it the highest praise for sound quality, competing with exponentially more expensive speakers.
    - Limitations: Spotify or third party support. Seriously? You can do that through your iPhone  or other Apple devices that support AirPlay. And no telling what Apple has in store for the future.
    - Airplay also solves your last point.
    - Privacy: Wrong. Snowden. History. Don't be naive. 
    - Sound Quality: Highest praise for sound quality for a 'SMART SPEAKER'. Again, a smart speaker. Smart Speaker... smart speaker. Get it? 
    - The point of this device is that it is a 'Smart Speaker'... yes it has Airplay, but it is just a speaker if using anything other than AM for streaming services. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 35 of 91
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,713member
    Here is one person's anecdote:  https://512pixels.net/2018/03/a-homepod-intervention/

"In short, the increase in sound quality doesn’t make up for the frustration of using Siri. The HomePod is going to live in my studio; the Echo is back in its rightful place in the kitchen."

This is Gruber's response to that: https://daringfireball.net/linked/2018/03/05/hackett-homepod

"
    This suggests a rather simple summation: that Apple miscalculated that audio quality should be the top priority of a smart speaker. It’s the “smart” part that needs to be the top priority."

edited March 2018
  • Reply 36 of 91
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    sflagel said:

I tried playing a German song a few days ago on Alexa. At first it did not understand me, then I said "play the German song blah blah" and it understood. Haven;t tried it with Siri yet. I am wondering, though, how Siri interacts with Germans (ie Siri language set to German) that request to play English music titles (possibly pronounced with a German accent). Does it work?
    Siri vomits on Bie Mir Bist Du Schoen...

Me: Siri, Das ist Scheiße

Spelling the name or prefixing with the request with German song -- did not help.

Also, no success setting up Siri to speak German.
    sflagel
  • Reply 37 of 91
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    bitmod said:
    foggyhill said:
    bitmod said:

Blah blah blah, show the receipt or you're just blowing wind. At the end of the first year of sales, when Cook will give a hint at actual sales numbers (like he did for the Watch and airpods) I'm sure you'll be here to let me beat you up with that hmm. Not counting on it of course.
    Nothing to "beat me up" about... the HomePod is a fine product for some people I'm sure. 
    I'm just saying it's not for a lot of people - not with the barriers I've listed.
    It's a confusing product, and definitely not Apple's best foot forward out of the gate. 

I'm just not sure where the market is for the HP? It's not reference sound, it's not as smart as the competition...
    Admit it... it's kind of in an awkward spot at the moment. 

It's a perfect dorm-room toy for some kid who wants something other than headphones thou. 

Will it get more than 3% of the smart speaker marketshare? Probably a bit more. It just came out. 

The market is the god damn speakers + speaker amp market, even $2000 fucking dollars worth of audio crap doesn't beat it.

It will get 10-15% of market share of (speaker + speaker + amp) and 90% of industry profits , same fracking tune as usual and people like you will declare a failure because it doesn't sell as much volume as an Iphone.

edited March 2018
  • Reply 38 of 91
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    jsmythe00 said:

Siri isn't a feature.  It's a bug
    Thanks for that butt nugget.
    Isn’t it amazing how trolls can’t think for themselves and parrot talking points spoon fed them by tech pundits (who are almost alwayts wrong about anything Apple)?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 39 of 91
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Here is one person's anecdote:  https://512pixels.net/2018/03/a-homepod-intervention/

"In short, the increase in sound quality doesn’t make up for the frustration of using Siri. The HomePod is going to live in my studio; the Echo is back in its rightful place in the kitchen."

This is Gruber's response to that: https://daringfireball.net/linked/2018/03/05/hackett-homepod

"
    This suggests a rather simple summation: that Apple miscalculated that audio quality should be the top priority of a smart speaker. It’s the “smart” part that needs to be the top priority."

No, it sums that Gruber is a techhead who doesn't give a crap about sound quality and is not the market for this thing.

Again, I'll be happy to see so called geniuses like you and Gruber (who has been more wrong than right these days) finally admit being wrong.
  • Reply 40 of 91
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member

Here we go again.. someone giving their 2c on a speaker they don't own and haven't heard..Why!!

If I may ask  where did you buy a pair of Mirage bookshelf ( I assume ) speakers and Yamaha receiver for less than 350.00?  Buying it used, or 15 years ago doesn't count..sorry. 

I have a middle of the road Yamaha receiver, Polk bookshelves and center channel, with a Polk 10in sub and Infinity rear bookshelves and it cost way more than 350.00 and that was 5 + years ago.

Lastly calling this speaker and accessory when you have never heard or used it just makes you come off as ignorant.  Homepod is a great little speaker that sounds solid and has a nice small footprint. I have it on the 2nd floor of my place and it fills the whole area nicely with sound.
    sandorwilliamlondon