intel have problems to increase Mhz !!

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    All I want to say here is that if IBM's chip lives up to the hype, and can REALLY take advantage of a high bandwidth memory and bus, then a MP mac will be all I ever need in terms of raw power. Intel can go ahead and release a 3.6 Ghz chip, but if I buy a PPC 970 dual @ 1.8Ghz and get roughly the same performance, who cares how fast their single chip is?

My experience so far is that Multi-processing works quite well on the mac, and can only improve with a vastly bigger FSB and faster memory.

Yes, the G4 era is almost at a close. Amen to that.

• Reply 42 of 47
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    [quote]Originally posted by Powerdoc:

<strong>Right that's why my car has a turbo-diesel. High torque low consomption. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I have a nice VW Passat that runs around 1200 km with one fuel load. Cheap!

[ 12-13-2002: Message edited by: xype ]</p>
  • Reply 43 of 47
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    to topic:

could be that IBM won't have this problem. this is from IBM:

"IBM Announces World's Smallest Working Silicon Transistor

Yorktown Heights, N.Y., December 9, 2002 -- IBM today announced the world's smallest working silicon transistor. With this transistor IBM has been able to push silicon to limits on a molecular scale not previously achieved.

At six nanometers in length, this new transistor is at least 10 times smaller than the state-of-the-art transistors in production today. A nanometer (nm) is one billionth of a meter. The Consortium of International Semiconductor Companies in its 2001 International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors projected that transistors have to be smaller than 9 nanometers by 2016 in order to continue the performance trend. IBM is the first company to make working transistors below that gate length."

[ 12-15-2002: Message edited by: Krassy ]</p>
  • Reply 44 of 47
    When I look at the past year at Intel's increase of Mgz I

laugh. Why, becuase there only creating chips that have

all kinds of speed but no stability and high voltage consumption. When the president of the company stated that there where problems with voltage loss i could'nt stop laughing. How many watts is that new chip comsuming... :eek: :eek:

This is why IBM and Moto have such low Mgz ratings. Efficiancy, stablity and low energy consumption is something that we have all come to know and love, and thats one reason why we use Apple's products.

All you PC/Mgz zealots can ****off with your made for Xp products and your 3rd party OS...your polishing the

brass on your burnt crispy heatsinks....its going down man....but thats just my opinion....and I might be wrong.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    what everyone is missing in this argument is the G4 is classed as a super computer, the p4 aint.

Yeah intel and amd have higher speeds but they cant nearly do half the calculations that the G4 can do at speeds.

Then you have the OS, if you use windows you arent using all of the processor speed on the x86 which leaves you with a unix variant to take advnatage of memory and power, but even then your still way behind the power mac in speed. As for the sound goes, i've been using PCs for years and have had various sound cards from cheap £20 creative cards to £200 herculese cards and non of these compare with the built in sound on my first powermac.

My last computer was a P4 2ghz and an AMD 1.8XP.

My new computer is a Dual 867mhz G4 tower and wipes the floor with the PCs in speed. If you have a mac there is really no need to buy a pc. If its games your after get a xbox or playstation.