Proposed reforms could force Apple to pay taxes all over EU, instead of just in headquarte...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    adm1 said:
    the 'merica! first sentiment is strong in this thread :lol: 

99% of companies will pay no additional taxes here, just instead of it all going to 1 member state, the taxes are spread between the countries relative to the sales in each country - seems the fairest way to do things. It's more about putting a stop to the "tax haven" status Ireland and Luxembourg have been known for, for years now.
    Sounds like an admission that what U.S. corporations were doing tax wise was in fact legal
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 22 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jbdragon said:
    Whatever,.. Apple Pays out the Taxes, The people in the EU are the ones paying for the products in higher prices.  Apple is going to get their money.  Really, the people that want this are taxing themselves more.  Corporations don't pay taxes.  They pass those taxes right on down to YOU, the customer.  So YOU the customer are paying for Apple's taxes.  

I'm fine with it.    If that's what the people want.  Giving more money to the EU, I'm sure they'll love it and have more money to waste on crap.   I think the EU should just throw on another 20% on everything in taxes.  People seem to like them there.

Apple would presumably be charging prices that garnered them the highest profits already. That's what most large companies would typically do. Whether Apple could charge even more without negatively affecting demand and in turn reducing profits would seem to be something they would already have determined. 
    edited March 2018 avon b7
  • Reply 23 of 27
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    maestro64 said:
    I thought the EU was built on the idea of free flow of people and money, now this is building walls instead.

EU companies are not funneling content across borders. 
    So are you saying that each company in Europe pays taxes in the country for which its sales occurred? Eg, if an Irish company sells widgets in Germany you are saying they pay taxes for the profit in Germany? That's what "not funnelling content across borders" seems to say to me. I view this new rule as an inconsistent application of tax law to non-EU companies. Am I wrong?

content is not a widget, content is music and movies. an most all streaming content is originating mostly from US companies like Apple, Google, Amazon, netflex, Hulu. I know there are EU type services but they competing with these guys so it just EU protecting the local companies yet again.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    maestro64 said:
    content is not a widget, content is music and movies. an most all streaming content is originating mostly from US companies like Apple, Google, Amazon, netflex, Hulu. I know there are EU type services but they competing with these guys so it just EU protecting the local companies yet again.
    Oh I understand now. You were talking about taxes on digital sales and services, while I was talking about hardware sales (the big ticket items.)
  • Reply 25 of 27

So what the EU is essentially saying is that companies should treat the EU as a bunch of separate countries rather than as one Union. You know, like how the rest of the world is?

It looks like all the financial advantages of the EU are just dissipating and it will simply become Europe again - a continent with several countries.

• Reply 26 of 27
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member

So what the EU is essentially saying is that companies should treat the EU as a bunch of separate countries rather than as one Union. You know, like how the rest of the world is?

It looks like all the financial advantages of the EU are just dissipating and it will simply become Europe again - a continent with several countries.

The EU is a bunch of countries. It is also the union of those countries.

Laws are national laws. Yes, some are derived from EU directives but they get transposed into national laws.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    This seems to be a sales tax on top of the VAR (European version of sales tax).   It will certainly complicate Apple pricing since this essentially allows local tax variations without allowing local price variation.  

Looking forward to how Europeans sort this out.