New 9.7" iPad expected to support Apple Pencil, be 70 percent of 2018 sales

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    A pair of bank account gobblers? You should try the effect three teenagers has on your Apple addiction!
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 22 of 31
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    ascii said:
    I have to laugh at anyone thinking Apple has designed a new form factor for education. No. It will most likely be a cheaper iPad (in current form factor) that might have Pencil support and a bunch of software updates. I would be incredibly surprised if Apple started pushing Macs in the classroom. If they did they would be signaling the death of iPad. That seems odd considering they ran an iPad commercial last year featuring a young student with the tag line “what’s a computer”. 
    Yep, they keep trying and trying until they're blue in the face to find someone, some market, just anyone, who cares about the iPad.
    I love my iPad Pro. I don’t own a Mac and have no plans to but one.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I have to laugh at anyone thinking Apple has designed a new form factor for education. No. It will most likely be a cheaper iPad (in current form factor) that might have Pencil support and a bunch of software updates. I would be incredibly surprised if Apple started pushing Macs in the classroom. If they did they would be signaling the death of iPad. That seems odd considering they ran an iPad commercial last year featuring a young student with the tag line “what’s a computer”. 
    If Apple wants to remain a player in lower tier education they need a device with a keyboard!!!!   That is the primary reason Chrome Books are doing so well against Apple and their iPad in education.   As long as we expect student to learn to read and write, do math and achieve in other studies requiring the creation of text you will need devices with a keyboard.

The second problem is competing against devices with ARM processors while Mac Books are saddled with Intel hardware.   Obviously iPad has an advantage over Mac Books hardware wise but they lack that very important keyboard.   So I see a high probability of a IOS laptop coming, it is the only way that Apple can offer respectable performance and keep cost low.   Low here is well under $300.   IPad will never sell into education without a keyboard, the only way that would happen is if IOS and voice handling advanced to the point that voice input resulted in high quality operation.    Even a system relying upon voice input is really limited to students much farther into their educational careers as the skills to be learned in the lower grades require a bit of hands on.

By the way it isn't about Apple pushing Macs the problem is educators rejecting the iPad and the limitations that device has.   As for iPad dying I'm not sure what the education market has to do with that, few if any of those devices are being sold into education now.   As for Apples marketing department they have demonstrated supreme idiocy over the years so I pretty much ignore any ads I see from Apple.   One fact they seem to not understand marketing wise is that if you shove the wrong product down someones throat they are very likely to get pissed off.   IPad is the wrong product for education and has been pretty much rejected by public education.  
  • Reply 24 of 31
    If Apple wants to remain a player in lower tier education they need a device with a keyboard!!!!   That is the primary reason Chrome Books are doing so well against Apple and their iPad in education.   As long as we expect student to learn to read and write, do math and achieve in other studies requiring the creation of text you will need devices with a keyboard.

The second problem is competing against devices with ARM processors while Mac Books are saddled with Intel hardware.   Obviously iPad has an advantage over Mac Books hardware wise but they lack that very important keyboard.   So I see a high probability of a IOS laptop coming, it is the only way that Apple can offer respectable performance and keep cost low.   Low here is well under $300.   IPad will never sell into education without a keyboard, the only way that would happen is if IOS and voice handling advanced to the point that voice input resulted in high quality operation.    Even a system relying upon voice input is really limited to students much farther into their educational careers as the skills to be learned in the lower grades require a bit of hands on.

By the way it isn't about Apple pushing Macs the problem is educators rejecting the iPad and the limitations that device has.   As for iPad dying I'm not sure what the education market has to do with that, few if any of those devices are being sold into education now.   As for Apples marketing department they have demonstrated supreme idiocy over the years so I pretty much ignore any ads I see from Apple.   One fact they seem to not understand marketing wise is that if you shove the wrong product down someones throat they are very likely to get pissed off.   IPad is the wrong product for education and has been pretty much rejected by public education.  
  • Reply 25 of 31

• Reply 26 of 31
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    Because obviously no one ever learned to read and write before 1980 when there were no keyboards in classrooms.

How does a keyboard help you learn to write anyway?
    bb-15
  • Reply 27 of 31
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    wizard69 said:

There are many reasons why Chromebooks are eating Apple's lunch in lower-tier education, price & keyboards only being two.  This podcast has a great discussion with someone that has many years' experience deploying Chromebooks and Apple devices in education and is worth the listen;  https://www.imore.com/state-apple-education

"So I see a high probability of a IOS laptop coming," => Either that or an ARM-based Mac

"
    Low here is well under $300." => You and I both know there is no way Apple will sell such device at that price. Not even for education.

"
    As for iPad dying I'm not sure what the education market has to do with that, few if any of those devices are being sold into education now." => The tablet / iPad market at best is showing negative growth and at worst, growth is stagnant.  It pretty much resembles the PC market in terms of growth (or lack thereof).
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 28 of 31
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    wizard69 said:

The tablet / iPad market at best is showing negative growth and at worst, growth is stagnant.  It pretty much resembles the PC market in terms of growth (or lack thereof).
    The iPad market in the last few quarters has stabilized.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/269915/global-apple-ipad-sales-since-q3-2010/

iPad sales growth may be close to stagnant but it's still a viable product sector.
    I expect Apple adding Pencil support to a low priced iPad to give iPad sales a small (year over year) increase in the next 12 months.  
  • Reply 29 of 31
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Another article about the education market and more screeds from the naysayers who claim that Apple must go cheap to survive. Cheap iPads with keyboards is the only way Apple can survive in the education market? Apple had to go cheap in the desktop market to survive. Apple had to go cheap in the laptop market to survive the notebook “revolution”. Apple had to go cheap in the smartphone market or be killed by Chinese knockoffs. Apple must produce a cheap speaker or lose against the $50 Echo Dot. When are you people going to get off your el-cheapo hobby horses? How may times must Apple succeed without following your advice to go cheap before you get it?
    edited March 2018 crosslad
  • Reply 30 of 31
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    An iPad 9.7" with Pencil Support sounds to me exactly like the 9.7" iPad Pro.  So essentially Apple is going to re-brand the 9.7" iPad Pro & sell it at a lower price($399?).

And what about the existing smaller iPad Pro. You know the one that’s 10.5 or whatever the exact measurement is. 

I feel like an iPad Mini Pro is more likely. Better size for smaller hands. And if it’s possible with the tech a slighter shorter Pencil for smaller hands. 

Perhaos even drop the non Pro lineup and make the Pros THE iPads. With or without doing a lineup of OLED Pros in the fall. Maybe just make that one the big one and keep the smaller two the current display tech. At least until the prices come down. Like they did with the 8 and X