Cumulative App Store titles declined for first time in 2017, report says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    thrang said:
    lkrupp said:
    How many solitaire apps are need exactly?
    The correct answer would be one, right?
    Well I think once you have at least 10 of them to pick from, it starts to be overkill. 10 gives you a good overall choice.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 27
    ChrispyappleChrispyapple Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I feel that the amount of apps for Android is bit on the skewed side. I mean after all, icon packs and themes are also still technically considered apps as well and when I browse the Google Play Store, I tend to see LOTS of those. If there was a way to separate icon packs and other customization from these numbers, I wonder what the true amount would be? 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 27
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Yawn - quality over quantity.  Who cares about the total number of apps.  I want decent apps.  And more importantly I want to be able to find them. 

As others have commented, I think this simply shows Apple is doing a better job of curating their store.  It's been obvious for years now that Google pays cursory attention to the Play store, only taking action when a particular issue gets out of hand.  If people are shallow enough to attribute value to raw numbers without further context then they get what they deserve.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 27
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Still far too much junk in the App Store... including shit that Apple claims to be removing. Akai Synth Station is still there... and that's one of the LEGIT apps; it should be gone because of developer stupidity.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    This decline is 100% the result of the iOS deprecation of 32-bit apps.  Probably 20% of the apps on my phone (mostly older games) no longer run.  And the 4 apps I had in the app store that I hadn't updated since iOS 7 are similarly gone.  That automatic elimination of no-longer supported apps dwarfs any other "curating" Apple may be doing.

I'm not complaining or applauding this fact.  Apple did this for technical reasons so they can advance the platform, not to "clean up" the App Store.  It's too bad some old (but perfectly functional) apps (e.g., Civ Revolution) got lost in the shuffle, but c'est la vie.  
    watto_cobradocno42
  • Reply 26 of 27
    I've noticed a lot of iPad apps being dropped (not to mention Apple Watch apps) leaving only the iPhone app.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    You can literally write your first ever android app printing “hello world” and have it on google play in less than an hour. This metric is hopeless. 
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobradocno42