Apple's success has generated hundreds of billions of dollars, but not many billionaires

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    As others noted, the people listed above are exceedingly wealthy because they had/have large stakes in valuable companies, not because they're "in position to demand overwhelming compensation." I can't find figures for everybody quickly, but according to various SEC filings, Bill Gates took a salary of less than $1 million in 2004, and as director in 2014 took $250,000. Nadella took home about $8.5 million in cash last year and a bit more than that in stock. That kind of compensation will never get you into the billions; only ownership and growing share value will.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    adam594 said:
    Actually they’ve generated billionaires from the App Store and their heavily supported device ecosystem. 
    Possibly the founders of Zynga or whatever are billionaires, but again they didn't get there from their 70% of sales on the App Store. If anybody's really gotten there from the App Store, it's because of their ownership stake in a company, not from salary or sales.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    This means employees & the leadership of Apple love their work quite a lot.
    I hope to invest more in Apple in the near future.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    65026502 Posts: 380member

I was really young back then (like early teens!)...but I wish I could have purchased shares of Apple when it was around $12-14/share. Even if it was $1000 worth back then, it would be worth a hell of a lot more today. I think around the Mac OS X era, wasn't it around $25-30/share'ish for a while?
    Not bragging or anything but I was so impressed when I saw my first Mac in high school (Mac Plus in ~1988) that I bought stock in the company with what little money I had. I kept it all this time despite my parents stock broker advising me in the early 2000's to sell it and invest in an telecom instead (which has probably since gone out of business). I bought more when the iPhone was announced but before it went on sale. I've made low 6-figures on it, which is great, but nothing life changing (and can't even use it for a down payment as I live in the bay area).