Kuo: Apple losing AR lead to low-cost competitors, lack of software innovation to blame

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    palegolas said:
    I think AR needs glasses to truly be interesting. Anything up until that feels to me more like research for the real deal.
    Sure, there are probably applications where it can still be useful on a phone, but I think when the lightweight AR glasses start to arrive, that's when we'll see how well it works. Magic Leap seems interesting.
    Magic Leap has been the biggest vaporware story since the Moller Skycar.
    watto_cobraasdasdbrucemc
  • Reply 22 of 30
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    So the two platforms that can run this start of the art title are tens of millions of iPhones and some phone by a company that made a name for itself with a niche upscaling DVD player?   Can anyone in America even buy an OPPO phone?  Oh, is OPPO the latest iPhone killer??
    Those are two different divisions. Oppo Digital only makes top of the line blu ray players and other audio/video equipment. Oppo Electronics makes the phones. Although both are owned by the same company, Oppo Digital (Blu ray players) is run independently here in California. Oppo blu ray players, espeically their 4K blu ray players are the best in the industry imo. It's too bad they decided to end manufacturing. 
    edited April 2018 retrogusto
  • Reply 23 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    So the two platforms that can run this start of the art title are tens of millions of iPhones and some phone by a company that made a name for itself with a niche upscaling DVD player?   Can anyone in America even buy an OPPO phone?  Oh, is OPPO the latest iPhone killer??
    LOL. Yes I bought one of those upscaling DVD players for some reason. First and only exposure to the Oppo brand. (At least I can pronounce it, unlike some of the other knockoffs)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member

avon b7 said:
    As for Oppo being a niche DVD player manufacturer, remember Apple used to be a niche computer manufacturer and it doesn't even have the word computer in its name now.
    Nah, your comparison is just wishful thinking. Apple isn’t a niche computer maker the way Oppo was a niche DVD maker. Apple helped pioneer the PC revolution and made major contributions to accepted modern computing paradigms. Oppo has not. Apple is the only still-standing PC maker from those days, with us 40 years later and still killing it, financially and with innovative advancements in PC hardware. Does Oppo even still make DVD players? Who knows. Despite minority market share I’d bet Apple had more PC market than Oppo’s DVD share, tho I’m only guessing there. 
    watto_cobrabrucemc
  • Reply 25 of 30
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,666member

avon b7 said:
    As for Oppo being a niche DVD player manufacturer, remember Apple used to be a niche computer manufacturer and it doesn't even have the word computer in its name now.
    Nah, your comparison is just wishful thinking. Apple isn’t a niche computer maker the way Oppo was a niche DVD maker. Apple helped pioneer the PC revolution and made major contributions to accepted modern computing paradigms. Oppo has not. Apple is the only still-standing PC maker from those days, with us 40 years later and still killing it, financially and with innovative advancements in PC hardware. Does Oppo even still make DVD players? Who knows. Despite minority market share I’d bet Apple had more PC market than Oppo’s DVD share, tho I’m only guessing there. 
    Wishful thinking? Nah!

A niche is a niche is a niche.

I couldn't resist a smile when you reminded us all that 'Apple pioneered...'

Straight out of Apple PR. Do they still tag that onto every press release?

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 30
    avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:
    Wishful thinking? Nah!

Mmm... Remington Rand, Burroughs, Alwac, NCR, GE, RCA, Honeywell, Digital Equipment, Data General, Altair, Cromemco, Ohio Scientific, Northstar nee Kentucky Fried Computer, PET, Apple, Atari, Smoke Signal Broadcasting, Exidy, Heathkit,Radio Shack, IBM/PC, Grid, Wang, Corvus... 

Shall I go on?   Those were just a few of the maimframes, mini's and microcomputers available in the 1970s and 1980s.  Interesting that among those many brands, only Apple still makes microcomputers and their progeny.

Those who ignore history...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 30
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    What does whether Apple was a niche computer maker in the 1970s have to do with Oppo?

Mental comparison, whichever angle you're taking; there's no common ground.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    frantisek said:
    wizard69 said:
    True or not AR is the last thing i think about when buying an iOS device.   Beyond that kilker apps (if they even happen) come from developers not Apple.   Frankly i see it as a very sad day for humanity if AR sweps over us like seen in the movies.  People need to become more connected to reality not disconnected.  
    Even I am one of those holding phone a lot os time in my hand, I agree very much with that.

And my question is what is real usage of AR for regular user? Placing IKEA home stuff? CHanging haircut? Measuring my flat or anything else? The third one can be usefull but how often one do this.

But I am missing Text prediction for my language, dual language autocorrect for my languasage, Siri, multiline text expansion, easy to use text translation, easy waz to share contact details from withing iMessage (none of iMessage app is worth attention and fát from dumb Nokia feature phone), keeping text i have written when reply to notification but phone fell to sleep and many tiny things. We have saying. 1000 times nothing killed the bull.

?
  • Reply 29 of 30
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Who cares about OPPO? Hardly anyone buys their hardware in the U.S. or even world.

AR is in every iPhone, iPad, and potentially every Mac. 

The problem of AR is that it sucks.  Does it solve any problem other than games?  Hardly.

AR requires developers to create apps that use AR. 

Does anyone develop for OPPO? Hardly.

Does anyone develop for Apple? Millions.

AR does suck for now. I think that there are useful applications in the future. 
  • Reply 30 of 30
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:
    Wishful thinking? Nah!

...and with that you show us, once again, your complete troll bonafides...