Apple loses court battle over 'counterfeit' iPhone parts in Norway

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 33
    technotechno Posts: 661member
    I see a distinction between refurbished Apple screens and counterfeit Apple 'look alike' screens. Thus I agree with the court decision, as long as no customers were given the impression that these were warrantied Apple screens, and none returned their repaired phones to Apple for other warranty considerations (which is unlikely).
    Like perhaps an Apple logo that is "covered up?" 
  • Reply 22 of 33
    technotechno Posts: 661member
    The case appears to be very simple: The vendor was selling parts that he said were (certified) Apple parts. Apple says that they weren't -- because Apple had already rejected them. The vendor misrepresented the parts -- they are not certified Apple parts. It's hard to see how this could stand up under appeal.
    I am very curious about the logos

    "Huseby, according to Vice, bought the screens with the logos covered up, and kept it covered up, since he didn't want to market it as Apple-manufactured or imply that it was such. "

    Does that mean all someone has to do was peel away a thin layer of plastic and then the logo is uncovered? That does not sound fair.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 406member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    If my iphone is paid and out of warranty I can do whatever I want with it. Give it away, trash it away, donate it for good cause, get it repaired w whatever parts I used, it’s none of Apples business. 


    Apple would not replace my battery because of a small dent in the case. They were afraid the screen would break after replacing. So I had to go elsewhere. So no Apple battery in my iPhone anymore. 
    That doesn’t sound like a “small” dent in the case. 
  • Reply 24 of 33
    bellsbells Posts: 78member
    I see a distinction between refurbished Apple screens and counterfeit Apple 'look alike' screens. Thus I agree with the court decision, as long as no customers were given the impression that these were warrantied Apple screens, and none returned their repaired phones to Apple for other warranty considerations (which is unlikely).
    There is a distinction, but I doubt Apple allows its third party manufacturers to sell faulty screens for purposes of refurbishing.

    So either way Apple’s contract is being breached and somebody who shouldn’t have its parts has them.

    i don’t feel sorry for Apple though because it choose to manufacturer in Asia where these types of things are allowed. 




  • Reply 25 of 33
    zonezone Posts: 53member
    They are just pissed at Apple for destroying the cell phone biz in this area of the world. Like they're going to make it easy on Apple. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 33
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 235member
    eightzero said:
    It'd be kinda cool if AI ran an Apple litigation scorecard. I've no idea if they win a lot, lose a lot, split 50-50, or some variation. I suppose their SEC filings show judgments paid; dunno if they detail litigation costs. Wonder if their are above or below average. IOW...is Apple's legal team any good?
    The most important legal work occurs outside of the courtroom in the advice they give decision makers, drafting of agreements and other legal documents, and negotiations with adversaries, vendors, etc; 99% of their legal work never ends up in a trial, so it would be a relatively meaningless statistic.  
  • Reply 27 of 33
    SoliSoli Posts: 7,666member
    zone said:
    They are just pissed at Apple for destroying the cell phone biz in this area of the world. Like they're going to make it easy on Apple. 
    How did Apple destroy the cellphone market in Norwegia? Are you thinking of Finlandia's Nokia?
  • Reply 28 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 4,919member
    spheric said:
    crosslad said:
    Soli said:
    nunzy said:
    Apple will appeal this and win.
    How often do appeals overturn a previous verdict in Norwegia?
    It’s Norway not Norwegia. 
    Norwania, duh. 
    Norwatia, actually. 
  • Reply 29 of 33
    kudukudu Posts: 26member
    Soli said:
    sacto joe said:
    wood1208 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    If my iphone is paid and out of warranty I can do whatever I want with it. Give it away, trash it away, donate it for good cause, get it repaired w whatever parts I used, it’s none of Apples business. 


    Off course. Once Apple sells product and out of warranty, Apple still cares as good citizen to support in newer IOS releases(unlike Android) but should not mandate what you do with that peace of hardware.. That is why I have been asking Apple to provide ONE place complete reset,wipe of device.
    Not sure why you think that’s not there....

    Settings/General/Reset/Erase All Contents And Settings/, touch it to initiate, confirm that’s really what you want to do, done.
    sacto joe said:
    wood1208 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    If my iphone is paid and out of warranty I can do whatever I want with it. Give it away, trash it away, donate it for good cause, get it repaired w whatever parts I used, it’s none of Apples business. 


    Off course. Once Apple sells product and out of warranty, Apple still cares as good citizen to support in newer IOS releases(unlike Android) but should not mandate what you do with that peace of hardware.. That is why I have been asking Apple to provide ONE place complete reset,wipe of device.
    Not sure why you think that’s not there....

    Settings/General/Reset/Erase All Contents And Settings/, touch it to initiate, confirm that’s really what you want to do, done.
    Does that work, or does it stop you if you have Find My iPhone enabled?
    What you refer to as “Find my iPhone enabled” is called Activation Locked. An activation locked phone cannot be wiped, restored, cannot turn off Find My iPhone, cannot sign out of iCloud etc UNLESS YOU KNOW THE AppleID AND PASSWORD. ie only the owner can allow the next owner to use the phone. So yes, it will stop you from wiping the phone at once if you have stolen or try to use someone else’s phone. If it’s yours, you can delete in about 3 easy steps. 
    Soliavon b7
  • Reply 30 of 33
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,055member
    If legit iPhones are parted out and the working parts are verified/refurbished as functional, then Apple has no case, logos or not.  

    Its no different than making one working phone from two broken phones.  There’s nothing counterfeit at all.

    so if this guys parts all came from Apple phones or suppliers at some time, they are legit and Apple has no case. 

    I agree with rhe judgement. 
  • Reply 31 of 33
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 1,278member
    eightzero said:
    It'd be kinda cool if AI ran an Apple litigation scorecard. I've no idea if they win a lot, lose a lot, split 50-50, or some variation. I suppose their SEC filings show judgments paid; dunno if they detail litigation costs. Wonder if their are above or below average. IOW...is Apple's legal team any good?
    They could throw out all the cases in the Eastern district of Texas and still would be batting under 500
  • Reply 32 of 33
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,257member
    Older phones like the iPhone 6 are out of warranty anyway. Cut us some slack, Apple, and let us repair them. It takes 30 minutes at a service place, like the one in the article, and often weeks dealing with Apple, and don't have a certified Apple service in town, at twice the cost. Instead of trying to prevent competition, compete!
    My ear speaker on my iPhone 6+ has diminished in quality and volume over the years, be it dirt or decline in quality, I don't know. A service place like this can replace the component with a higher volume output in 30 minutes and it'll cost me the equivalence of $65 (in Norway). It's great service.
    docno42
Sign In or Register to comment.