Wish List: 7 new features we'd like to see in a new 'Apple Watch Series 4'

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    Roaming, please. PLEASE.

The Apple Watch has a ton of features that make it valuable traveling, but the lack of roaming ability is ridiculous.

I travel extensively, and there's not much point  to the LTE version when it will only work in one country, anyway, and not for the months and months I am in other countries every year. I'd have to buy one watch for each country to get this, which makes no sense at all. Imagine if phones were like this. Or laptops. Or any other piece of Apple tech.

Considering how many Apple Watches I see in airports, you'd think this would be a concern for others, too.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    Owner of a series 2 and love it. Here’s what I would like to see:

3-5 day battery life 
    sleep tracking and analysis 
    Bluetooth 5
    Better fitness tracking for more sports/activities 
    More customizable metrics to measure during a workout 
    the option for a more ruggedized version
    Fully independent of iPhone
  • Reply 43 of 49
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    Summarising the above and adding my own wishes, the list, roughly in order of AI community preference, is: 1. 3 day battery life; 2. Ruggedised sports version; 3. Support for gym workouts other than cardio (i.e. weights, isometrics, etc.); 4. Ability to import/select gym routines; 5. Support for workouts other than gym (i.e. yoga, gymnastics, athletics, etc.); 6. Better sports & health data, as per the AI comments above; 7. An alert when the A-Watch suspects that you have stopped exercising; 7. Daily weight monitor that cross references with the sports & health data; 8. Video - 2 or 3 frames a second would be good enough. 9. Podcast support; 10. Pride band; 11. Windows support: and 12. Third party watch faces. Re battery life: a few times now I have done a long series of flights and layovers that have left my watch drained before I get to my destination. Also I agree that not having to charge the watch over a weekend (one good Friday night and who knows where you'll be Saturday night ;-) ) would be a plus too. PS: who uses "Rowing" to gain exercise credit for bedroom activities? Re weight monitor cross referencing with the sports & health data: most gym apps do not allow you to record your weight before exercising and then apply it appropriately (e.g. if someone does heaves/chin-ups with a weight assist then they are lifting their body weight less the assist weight. Calculating this every time is a pain. Re Podcasts: I still have a 6th gen iPod nano (the square one, that was my first "Apple Watch") in the car as my podcast-while-driving device. Re Windows support: this would require the LTE A-Watch to be able to be set-up and supported via iTunes, but allowing it to work with Android would add functionality to a competitor, which would be dumb, but allowing non-apple users to buy and use an A-Watch makes commercial sense.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    ClassicGeekClassicGeek Posts: 25unconfirmed, member
    For a lot of people, Apple may have checked off a major wish list item with the addition of LTE on Apple Watch Series 3. There are still plenty of things we'd like to see in the inevitable Apple Watch Series 4, though.

Week-long battery life

Some Watch owners might be surprised to learn that this isn't normal in the wearable world. Most Fitbits last at least three to four days on a charge, and higher-end Garmin watches like the Forerunner 935 can last up to two weeks.
    That is hardly an apples to apples comparison. The AW is much more than a fitness tracker. The closest comparison device is the FitBit Ionic and even FitBit's web site notes that if you enable GPS then the battery life is only up to 10 hours. Similar with the Garmin, turn on GPS and you get 24 hours of battery.  

Video
    It's not uncommon to see people holding up their iPhone in public to show their spouse or friends something, and doing so from a Watch would be a lot more convenient. 
    I can't see this. Unless your arm is Reed Richards level flexible it will always be easier to point a phone camera at something. 
  • Reply 45 of 49
    That is hardly an apples to apples comparison. The AW is much more than a fitness tracker. The closest comparison device is the FitBit Ionic and even FitBit's web site notes that if you enable GPS then the battery life is only up to 10 hours. Similar with the Garmin, turn on GPS and you get 24 hours of battery.  

The article was talking about standby or watch mode for all models and it was accurate. FitBit and Garmin watches will get 5 days to 2 weeks, depending on model, if used solely as a watch/fitness tracker with message/phone notifications. If you're going to compare apples to apples, as the article does, then you should've quoted the GPS time for the AW as well which is half of the Ionic at 5 hours.

Are the offerings from either of the other 2 brands as good as a smart watch as the AW? No. But on the other hand AW isn't as good as a training device as a midlevel or higher Garmin. It all depends on what you need but I'm willing to bet that very few people will be mad if subsequent versions of the AW has much better battery life.

• Reply 46 of 49
    riklarriklar Posts: 5member
    And, most of all: Diabete sensor
    steveau
  • Reply 47 of 49

6) Full functionality without iPhone - Kinda feel like their would be no market for a stand alone Apple Watch. It was designed as an accessory to supplement and enhance the iPhone, most purchasing it have an iPhone.

I think I and a few others have mentioned some use cases that could encompass some market share (however much that might be is anyone's guess).  You could add to that theoretical segment those that would like to use other brands of phones, although I tend to think there might not be enough features that could work independently from an iPhone to make it worth it, but maybe for some.  Your statement about most purchasing it have an iPhone is a bit off though it might be technically correct.  It would be a little more accurate to say 100% of people using it have one since it is, at this moment, required. 
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 48 of 49
    mbenz1962mbenz1962 Posts: 171member
    Now with the new Walkie-Talkie feature coming in WatchOS 5, the Apple Watch would be ideal for kids if it could be independent from an iPhone.