Amazon touts 100M Prime users as Apple quietly passes a quarter-billion paid subscriptions...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    rufwork said:
    [That 250 mil includes this and that...] and App Store continuing payments.

Oh, DED. Of course if you include every freaking HBO, Showtime, MLB, Overcast, NY Times... subscription, Apple has more than Amazon. 

But those aren’t Apple’s subscriptions. They get a cut, and that’s great for my AAPL, but let’s not compare Apple’s apples to Whole Foods’ oranges.

(◔_◔)

Let’s see if he writes a feature/editorial around AAPL shares being down 2% pre-market with TSMC offering weak guidance attributing it to softening demand in the premium smartphone market.
    THAT’S your new doom? Man, you’re running out of material. You need new troll trope talking points.. 
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member

lkrupp said:
    rufwork said:

Oh, DED. Of course if you include every freaking HBO, Showtime, MLB, Overcast, NY Times... subscription, Apple has more than Amazon. 

But those aren’t Apple’s subscriptions. They get a cut, and that’s great for my AAPL, but let’s not compare Apple’s apples to Whole Foods’ oranges.

(◔_◔)

Of course DED would use an Amazon shareholder letter to spin up a positive article on Apple and how Apple > Amazon.  Let’s see if he writes a feature/editorial around AAPL shares being down 2% pre-market with TSMC offering weak guidance attributing it to softening demand in the premium smartphone market.
    Or when Amazon passes Apple in market cap. The way Amazon is growing is astonishing. 
    For every DED article expressing a positive spin attitude about Apple there are hundreds of gloom and doom screeds by negative spinmeisters. Why do you not object to those? Because Daniel Dilger writes very well his I see his articles showing up on tech news aggregators these days. That he writes positively about Apple and that upsets you is telling. Now tell us where you can find an objective and balanced article about Apple anywhere. Apparently you are now in the Apple doomsday cult and anything positive about the company is drivel, right? 
    You got it...that’s how the butthurts operate. There can be no good news for them, only new reasons for “concern”, since Apple’s doom is any day now...
    edited April 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 30
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member

lkrupp said:
    rufwork said:

(◔_◔)

Of course DED would use an Amazon shareholder letter to spin up a positive article on Apple and how Apple > Amazon.  Let’s see if he writes a feature/editorial around AAPL shares being down 2% pre-market with TSMC offering weak guidance attributing it to softening demand in the premium smartphone market.
    Or when Amazon passes Apple in market cap. The way Amazon is growing is astonishing. 
    For every DED article expressing a positive spin attitude about Apple there are hundreds of gloom and doom screeds by negative spinmeisters. Why do you not object to those? Because Daniel Dilger writes very well his I see his articles showing up on tech news aggregators these days. That he writes positively about Apple and that upsets you is telling. Now tell us where you can find an objective and balanced article about Apple anywhere. Apparently you are now in the Apple doomsday cult and anything positive about the company is drivel, right? 
    You got it...that’s how the butthurts operate. There can be no good news for them, only new reasons for “concern”, since Apple’s doom is any day now...
    I suppose there is spin and anti-spin. Is one better than the other? Probably not but I can't see one changing while the other exists.

• Reply 24 of 30
    ebernetebernet Posts: 24member
    larrya said:
    Daniel, it’s intellectually dishonest, that’s all. People who subscribe to HBO should be considered HBO subscribers, not Apple subscribers. If they moved to Android they would continue to be HBO subscribers.
    Other than the 15% Apple gets (after 1st year, 30% 1st year) if they signed up through Apple originally. Until a customer goes through the effort of disengaging the initial purchase method and reengaging their account to HBO directly, if they signed up via Apple Apple continues to get money... (not saying whether they should or shouldn't and whether Apple is right here, it is just how it is...)
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 25 of 30
    larrya said:
    Daniel, it’s intellectually dishonest, that’s all. People who subscribe to HBO should be considered HBO subscribers, not Apple subscribers. If they moved to Android they would continue to be HBO subscribers.  My $14 annual subscription to Keeper that I didn’t realize I had until I got a statement is simply not the same thing as an Apple storage or music subscription, and you know that, yet you would count it.  By your logic, you should add a significant portion of Apple’s “subscribers” to Amazon’s, since Amazon hosts much of it on their servers. 

You can hold whatever opinions you want, but when Apple gets paid for servicing a subscription to content or services, it is counted as "a subscription" (this is not a new invention or some original idea I coined). 

And yes, Amazon's AWS clients are counted by various people, but Amazon doesn't get a cut of each user or transaction when it sells commodity cloud to others, so I'm not sure where you're going with that logic.

If you buy a subscription through an app or the App Store, it's an Apple subscription that Apple is profiting from as a reseller. The same way that every iPad Amazon sells is an Amazon sale to an Amazon customer. This is all pretty basic stuff here. 
    edited April 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 30
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I know everyone is excitedly talking about stock values, but I wanted to point out that using the language of "a quarter billion" is an emotional fluffing of "250 million".
  • Reply 27 of 30
    dysamoria said:
    I know everyone is excitedly talking about stock values, but I wanted to point out that using the language of "a quarter billion" is an emotional fluffing of "250 million".
    If somebody says the time is 2:15 or "a quarter past 2," do you also become unglued about your emotional response to an internal bias concerned that somebody has influenced others to think that time is going slower or faster than it is, despite there being zero difference between the two?

I've noticed upset critics are giving up any factual discourse to instead complain about how facts make them feel. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 30
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    rufwork said:

(◔_◔)

Amazon just announced the ability for users to create custom Alexa queries. For instance you could leave a to-do list for your spouse and they could say Alexa, what’s on my to-do list today and Alexa would read it off. This is the kind of stuff Apple should be doing with Siri.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    d70mac said:
    Concerning TSMC...

Tim Cook has said on multiple occasions that trying to divine how Apple is doing by reacting to supply chain rumors and analysis is a fool’s errand. (my words)

So when TSMC says the premium smartphone market is softening they’re not talking about Apple? Which other premium smartphone OEMs are doing business with TSMC?
  • Reply 30 of 30
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    Most of the Prime subscriber growth came after Amazon launched Prime in India. And that makes Amazon about $15 per year.

With Amazon being the largest e-commerce player in India, and with India’s massive population, it’s quite likely that their overall global average is pulled quite low just because of India numbers.

Apple Music actually makes more money in India than Amazon Prime does! About 44% more! So it’s not like as if it’s not possible to make money in India!

i would say Apple quality of revenues is far better than Amazon’s.