'iPhone SE 2' rumored to retain iPhone 5 styling minus headphone jack, launch in May

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Hopefully the nuke the home button and make the screen bigger, & reducing bezels!!!
  • Reply 22 of 39
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Hopefully the nuke the home button and make the screen bigger, & reducing bezels!!!
    They have that; it’s called the iPhone X.
    watto_cobramacgui
  • Reply 23 of 39
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    Gobnu said:
    Spec bump would be fine by me.  Touch ID 2 would be nice.  Take my money!!  And throw a bone to the iPad mini!  (I'm guessing lots of people like me that use the SE still like the iPad mini form factor as well.  It just doesn't make much sense for a 8 or X user since the screen isn't that much larger...)
    I gave you a like there on your first comment; this comment, however I like and use an SE but prefer full sized iPads. I never did get the mini form factor tbh, and now that regular sized iPads are thinner and lighter than when iPad 1 launched, the full size makes even more sense. Only Apple knows how many are buying iPad mini. Some adults surely like the size (some SE owners like you suggest), but I guess it's more popular with younger teens and children. In that sense if it is popular with a certain age segment, Apple should give it an update to future proof the product for those putting money down on them. MBA user, personally.
    Two reasons I found for using the iPad mini:
    1.readng. More comfortable to hold than the 9.7 and sufficient text per page. 
    2. First use of iOS device of my 2 year old. Easier to handle  for her and big enough as well. 
    As I said I can understand how kids would be suited to it. Hence why Apple should not let the product linger. But I wouldn’t read a book on an iPad anyway. 
    Portability & weight are the two major points for me. I can slip an iPad mini into my rear pocket, carry 3 of them (with cases) easily one handed (family specific task). The standard sized iPad is almost twice as heavy and it's VERY noticeable if you've been used to the mini range for the past few years. I'm an 5S user (desperately awaiting SE2) and feel that 4" iPhone > 8" iPad > 12" macbook is the perfect range to cover all bases, with the much larger dual monitor setup in the office for proper work.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,516member
    ireland said:
    Gobnu said:
    Spec bump would be fine by me.  Touch ID 2 would be nice.  Take my money!!  And throw a bone to the iPad mini!  (I'm guessing lots of people like me that use the SE still like the iPad mini form factor as well.  It just doesn't make much sense for a 8 or X user since the screen isn't that much larger...)
    I gave you a like there on your first comment; this comment, however I like and use an SE but prefer full sized iPads. I never did get the mini form factor tbh, and now that regular sized iPads are thinner and lighter than when iPad 1 launched, the full size makes even more sense. Only Apple knows how many are buying iPad mini. Some adults surely like the size (some SE owners like you suggest), but I guess it's more popular with younger teens and children. In that sense if it is popular with a certain age segment, Apple should give it an update to future proof the product for those putting money down on them. MBA user, personally.
    2. First use of iOS device of my 2 year old. Easier to handle  for her and big enough as well. 

Another reason.

I use the Mini on trains for two one-hour journeys a day. My wife has the Air 2 I have the Mini 2. In a public transport setting, the Air 2 is too invasive for the person sitting next to you. The Mini is a different story. Far more low key (even watching videos), fits without issue into my bag, and is more comfortable to hold.

long live the Mini!
    ireland
  • Reply 25 of 39
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    I apologize if this was meant as a clever comment (i.e. joking) but there is both a size and price difference involved. The unexpected success of the iPhone SE should indicate there is a significant market for the 'right' form factor for a handheld computing device. In particular there is no reason to restrict the flagship features to a phone so large that many of us simply will not buy it. The primary factor for the SE form factor for many (most?) of us is size, not price.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    sdbryan said:
    ...there is both a size and price difference involved.
    I agree they ought to make a 4” (size case) version of their most modern device. That’s just not in the cards, as proven by the last two years and the existence of the iPhone SE.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    Gobnu said:
    As I said I can understand how kids would be suited to it. Hence why Apple should not let the product linger. But I wouldn’t read a book on an iPad anyway. 
    Howdy! Fan of the SE and the iPad mini here. I dig the mini because it's small enough to have in small shoulder bag- the 9.7" and 10.5" iPads get you into laptop sized bags, which, at that point, might as well have a MacBook (imho). I've got a small, but nearly full-size keyed, bluetooth keyboard, and a fold up iPad stand, and a Kindle, all in a bag that won't dominate a table. When I go out shooting with my Canon 6D I can copy full RAW files straight to the mini (wirelessly! Cascable= amazing) for quick processing in Lightroom and with more ability to see the details than any iPhone allows (I mean, without a lot of zooming and panning). I agree with the "good size for reading" sentiment as well. One can hold it and scroll one-handedly far more naturally than is possible on it's larger brethren. Personally I hope they make an iPad mini Pro with an 8.9" (or thereabouts) 3:2 display made possible by FaceID and thin bezels all around. I realize of course I'm in the minority here and the mini will probably just die an ignominious death, but what are comment forums for if not the airing of hopes and dreams?! In summary- I like that it offers laptop-lite features just like the larger iPads, but fits in a smaller bag than laptops require.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Biggest daily use shortcoming of the SE relative to the 8 or X is the much less bright screen. If that gets a significant upgrade, count me in. Much prefer the size and form factor to the generic bar-of-soap 'newer' models.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    So charging or talking only. What about high quality converter with nylon braided wire that does not break on plugs? How about nice converter that still has charing bypass and does not resemble octopus hanging limbs? Some prefer not to recharge too many accessories or deal with loss of left or right "earing".
  • Reply 30 of 39
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,344member
    I'm always amazed at people who want to make an iPhone XI out of the SE.

Spec bump - check.
    More storage - check

That's good enough for me.
    I'd like to see TID 2, but it's not a deal breaker.

Wireless charging - not going to happen.
    3D Touch - not going to happen.
    Larger screen - not going to happen.
    A11 processor - not going to happen.

Changing the size of the 5/5s/SE case negates the main reason for the SE so anything that takes more room is a problem. I can live without a headphone jack but see no reason to remove it from the SE unless there's something cool to fill the void. For me, that would be a Taptic engine (and 3D Touch).

For Apple, taking the jack away and giving us nothing for it in return would be justified if only to bring the SE more 'in line' with jackless philosophy.

Apple almost always makes iPad sizes different with each upgrade. This means that although two out of three dimensions may be the same, Apple cases are almost never transferable. Boo, Apple! So I hope they don't make the SE2 any different is size.

lf they don't do anything to upgrade the iPad Mini 4, I'll get one before they disappear.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    I am thinking to upgrade (or downgrade as some would call it) my phone from X to SE2. I still prefer the good ol' shape, especially, iPhone 4. Not that I don't like X, its just that I now realised that I don't need a big phone. I upgraded from 5 to X at first place and I totally love Face ID.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 32 of 39
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,276member
    sdbryan said:
    ...there is both a size and price difference involved.
    I agree they ought to make a 4” (size case) version of their most modern device. That’s just not in the cards, as proven by the last two years and the existence of the iPhone SE.
    Given how packed tight the X is they'd have to make some pretty hard choices to get the X down to that size. Still if Apple did want to chance the narrative about where phones are going getting a best of the best phone and be able to brag it's the smallest iPhone (by volume) again would have a massive impact. Not to mention one of those choices would be eSIM to save buckets of space which is bound to cause a stir in the media.

Yes wishful thinking on my part, that we will see an X- but clearly not alone in that wish. 
  • Reply 33 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    mjtomlin said:
    ireland said:
    Makes sense.

I think SE 2 will see spec bump over SE with improved cameras, A10, better battery life and will ditch headphone jack.

Will not get A11. Will not get 3D Touch. Will not get Touch ID 2.

Display sees slight, but largely insignificant improvements.

Outside chances: price reduced to $329 for 32 GB model, or storage upgrade.

Definitely have to disagree with them not using the A11. This model is all about future proofing, which is why it originally shipped with the latest SoC, the A9... And the SE2 will follow the same two year upgrade path. This is especially true if Apple is serious about AR and AI.
    Good point about AR and AI. But look how long they kept iPad 2 around. Way longer than they should have, IMO. Yes they should put an A11 in there, but this is Apple—A10 wouldn't surprise me. This is the budget iPhone after all. The budget iPad was just released and it got A10.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 34 of 39

aegean said:
    I am thinking to upgrade (or downgrade as some would call it) my phone from X to SE2. I still prefer the good ol' shape, especially, iPhone 4. Not that I don't like X, its just that I now realised that I don't need a big phone. I upgraded from 5 to X at first place and I totally love Face ID.
    SE2 most likely won't have Face ID.
  • Reply 35 of 39

macgui said:

I can live without a headphone jack but see no reason to remove it from the SE unless there's something cool to fill the void.
    If it means the battery would be that much bigger I think that'd be a great reason.
  • Reply 36 of 39

ireland said:
    ireland said:
    Gobnu said:
    Howdy! Fan of the SE and the iPad mini here. I dig the mini because it's small enough to have in small shoulder bag- the 9.7" and 10.5" iPads get you into laptop sized bags, which, at that point, might as well have a MacBook (imho). I've got a small, but nearly full-size keyed, bluetooth keyboard, and a fold up iPad stand, and a Kindle, all in a bag that won't dominate a table. When I go out shooting with my Canon 6D I can copy full RAW files straight to the mini (wirelessly! Cascable= amazing) for quick processing in Lightroom and with more ability to see the details than any iPhone allows (I mean, without a lot of zooming and panning). I agree with the "good size for reading" sentiment as well. One can hold it and scroll one-handedly far more naturally than is possible on it's larger brethren. Personally I hope they make an iPad mini Pro with an 8.9" (or thereabouts) 3:2 display made possible by FaceID and thin bezels all around. I realize of course I'm in the minority here and the mini will probably just die an ignominious death, but what are comment forums for if not the airing of hopes and dreams?! In summary- I like that it offers laptop-lite features just like the larger iPads, but fits in a smaller bag than laptops require.
    Well if they do keep it around they should update it. There is a market for an updated model. Niche use cases such as yours and kids and some teens.
  • Reply 37 of 39

You know full well he was referring to a smaller sibling.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,344member
    ireland said:

macgui said:

I can live without a headphone jack but see no reason to remove it from the SE unless there's something cool to fill the void.
    If it means the battery would be that much bigger I think that'd be a great reason.
    Like I said, unless there's something cool to fill the void.ireland said:

You know full well he was referring to a smaller sibling.
    I know that as well, but was going to post something similar because all of that is a pipe dream for the SE. Years from now we'll probably see those features on an 8-sized phone. That'll happen before the SE gets that treatment.

Again, people what to make an X out of the SE, which wouldn't even be a IX. People want an SEx and Apple's just not having it.