Apple acquires Ed Sheeran documentary Songwriter ahead of Tribeca debut

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2018
Apple has acquired global rights to a new documentary called Songwriter, which follows singer/songwriter Ed Sheeran through much of 2016 as he evolves his unique style.

The deal, which is rumored to be valued in the low- to mid-seven figures, covers world rights to the upcoming feature, reports Deadline. Larry Jackson, head of content for Apple Music and a former executive at Interscope, led negotiations for Apple.

Directed by Murray Cummings, Songwriter makes its North American premiere on Monday at the Tribeca Film Festival following a world premiere in Berlin this February. Cummings, Sheeran's cousin and sometimes collaborator, has spent years following the pop sensation around and documenting his rise to fame, from his opening performances for Taylor Swift to sold-out gigs at Wembley Stadium.

Unlike other music-related documentaries that Apple has acquired, such as those featuring Sam Smith, Danny Brown, and Niall Horan, Apple will be releasing Songwriter theatrically as well as on its own platforms, the report said.

Apple has yet to publicly confirm how it plans to distribute all of the TV and movies it has commissioned or acquired, though its Apple Music subscription service is expected to play a role in the buildout. Apple is putting quite a bit of money behind the endeavor, though the sum pales in comparison to budget outlays from segment competitors like Netflix and Amazon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I think “unique” is overstating things a bit…
    irelandfastasleepargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I've just heard the song "Shape of You" by him. Catchy tune but very pedestrian lyrics, IMO.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member
    I wish Apple would put quite a bit of money behind artists normal people actually like. We aren't all teenage girls.

Maybe Apple could add a feature to never include Ed Sheeran in any playlists ever. It's getting a bit tedious trying to listen to a curated playlist that changes every week, but it always has a song by him in it.

I don't like him, I cannot stand his music, and I have no way of telling my Music app to just skip over his stuff.
    irelandSpamSandwichargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    darkpaw said:
    I wish Apple would put quite a bit of money behind artists normal people actually like. We aren't all teenage girls.

Maybe Apple could add a feature to never include Ed Sheeran in any playlists ever. It's getting a bit tedious trying to listen to a curated playlist that changes every week, but it always has a song by him in it.

I don't like him, I cannot stand his music, and I have no way of telling my Music app to just skip over his stuff.
    Maybe you're not "normal people"... Maybe YOU are the outlier... Think about it.  You do know what Normal means don't you.

Both Drake and Sheehan have sold way way way beyond niches, so your comment is plain weird.
    You may not like Sheehan but he's certainly hitting the "norm".

leavingthebiggRayz2016randominternetpersonronn
  • Reply 5 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    While I do sort of whis Apple had acquired Netflix years ago there is some load of crap on Netflix, and in particular the modern movies Netflix has produced with their generic cinematography, uninspired score and trying too hard story lines.   
    ronn
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Rayz2016 said:
    I think “unique” is overstating things a bit…
    A dog poo on the roof of a train is unique.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    darkpaw said:

I don’t subscribe to a streaming service but if not be able to avoid a particular artist is really a thing they need to update their algorithm badly. Or provide a never play list you can add artists too.

You should feedback this right away: https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-music.html
  • Reply 8 of 12
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    I've just heard the song "Shape of You" by him. Catchy tune but very pedestrian lyrics, IMO.
    NY Times has a five minute video on the making of this song.  Part of an excellent series on collaboration of young songwriters. At first I was wishing Apple did this series, but you see so many Apple phones and laptops being used, it’s even stronger message to see pros use products in the Wild unsponsored. 
    ronnpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    I should add that Taylor Swift has her own series on songwriting, apparently exclusive to AT&T. I’ve seen a few. Fast moving. Mixed media. Pretty good, but preferred NYT since less about the star and more about the process. 
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    ireland said:
    While I do sort of whis Apple had acquired Netflix years ago there is some load of crap on Netflix, and in particular the modern movies Netflix has produced with their generic cinematography, uninspired score and trying too hard story lines.   
    Apple doesn't need Netflix.  Netflix is good company with very uncertain future. They aren't doing anything unique--they stream videos.  They don't have any unique technology, etc.   Most of their content is directly licensed content that is available elsewhere.  As regards their original content, they bid for rights from studios, producers, etc.,, and are now bidding against Apple, HBO, Amazon, Google, Disney, Hulu,soon A T and T, etc., which means their costs are exploding, but they have a limited ability to raise prices.  Apple, Amazon, etc., don't have to make money on video streaming, but instead offer it as a service. Stand alone companies like Netflix are in trouble going forward.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Folio said:
    I should add that Taylor Swift has her own series on songwriting, apparently exclusive to AT&T. I’ve seen a few. Fast moving. Mixed media. Pretty good, but preferred NYT since less about the star and more about the process. 
    Swift (the singer-songwriter, not the programming language) seems like an immature emotional vampire who only gets involved with people to stripmine the interactions for song material.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    I was really hoping they’d give him a grisly death scene when he cameoed on Game of Thrones. He’s terrible. 
    argonautwatto_cobra