Apple TV viewing hours surged 709 percent in March quarter

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Can’t just be me who’s surprised at how high the numbers for the Roku is, used a few them and they’ve always been pretty slow and annoying.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 25
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mavemufc said:
    Can’t just be me who’s surprised at how high the numbers for the Roku is, used a few them and they’ve always been pretty slow and annoying.
    Maybe, but they work great with Android-based homes, and homes with no smart devices. I've bought a couple for people myself even though I use an Apple TV.

My 3rd and 4th gen Apple TVs were gifted to people who have Apple products so those aren't sales that are counted, but are households using the product. I bet Apple has a much higher rate of this compared to all the others.
    edited April 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 25
    mavemufc said:
    I haven't used the Roku interface in our TV, but given how poorly the current Apple TV works, I find it hard to imagine the Roku could be much worse.

Part of what's bugging me about the Apple TV relates to deliberate design choices, like how the "Up Next" feature doesn't include shows I've downloaded, but mostly the experience is diminished by how buggy it is. It's not good at keeping track of what we've already watched, so the "Up Next" list usually shows the episode of a series we watched last, rather than the next episode. It completely defeats the point of the feature and is really annoying.

I really enjoyed our 3rd generation ATVs. Since we got the 4K the fun has been replaced with frustration and disappointment. The added features of the Gen4 and 4K should make them better, but the quirks and bugs are ruining it for me.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    ireland said:
    Apple should sell an entry level machine at a lower cost. In my neck of the woods, for example, the cheapest ATV is €159 ($194). They should have kept the old model around IMO.

Regarding gaming, they should produce a genuine first party dedicated gaming controller. ‘People who are serious about software should make their own hardware’.
    At this point, I don't think Apple should make their own controller. Gaming has been a huge letdown on the ATV4. It drives me nuts when I see Nintendo and old Sega titles being released on the iPhone, but nothing for the ATV. There is so much potential, but it seems like game developers have forgotten about the ATV. 
    I've posted about this before. I think it must be two-fold. Apple hasn't provided the proper tools, rules, and/or access for games to thrive, and the game devs aren't seeing enough revenue from AppleTV games to justify pursuing development. I know Apple made a huge mistake when they first released the new AppleTV by requiring games to support the Apple Remote. It was a bad decision and the remote is simply not a good controller for most games. They recanted, but it may have been too late. The App Store is also pretty weak when it comes to searching for games. As for the App devs, there has to be some rationale for them not releasing titles to AppleTV that they're already releasing for iOS. I can't tell you what it is, but I'm sure there's some disincentive at work. It's too widespread. Apple should be actively engaging them because it's a huge missed opportunity IMHO. If nothing else, it would generate $ on the app side, and keep people using the AppleTV for more than Netflix/Hulu/Amazon. FWIW, there are some very cool games on AppleTV now, just not very many of them, and the SteelSeries controllers are fantastic. My $0.02, as ever.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 25
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    It was me watching Game of Thrones from the beginning.
    watto_cobra