Sonos reveals which of its speakers will get AirPlay 2 support

Posted:
in iOS
Ahead of Apple's official AirPlay 2 launch, Sonos this week provided additional details as to which speaker models will gain initial support the forthcoming wireless protocol.

Owners of Sonos' Playbase, Sonos One, and current-generation Play:5 will be able to enjoy AirPlay 2 support shortly after Apple launches the standard, reports The MacObserver. Compatibility will be enabled via software update.

Sonos originally pledged support for AirPlay 2 back in October, but failed to detail specific models that would gain compatibility with the still unreleased standard. Now that the release of AirPlay 2 seems imminent, Sonos is putting an end to speculation.

As Sonos speakers exist in a standalone wireless ecosystem, and can therefore connect with one another, the upcoming switch to AirPlay 2 could be confusing for consumers. For example, if a user has an AirPlay 2-enabled Playbase in the living room and a non-AirPlay 2 Play:1 grouped together in the dining room, they can technically send AirPlay 2 audio to the entire group.

AirPlay 2, which allows multi-room audio streaming from a host device like an iPhone, was unveiled nearly a year ago at WWDC 2017. The protocol made a brief appearance in an early iOS 11.3 beta build, but was removed before release. AirPlay 2 is once again present in the latest betas of iOS 11.4, suggesting the technology is ready for release.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    Wow... 1960's based design Klipshorns seem to work just fine still with basic copper lamp cord connectivity... http://www.klipsch.ca/products/klipschorn-70th-anniversary-edition Hmmm...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I have the original Sonos Amps and bridge that are still updating fine. 
    Will they be fully supported in time with the new Apple Airplay 2 update?
    Thank you 
    🙏 
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I want to know which Yamaha receivers will get firmware updates for AirPlay 2! 
    Caffiend
  • Reply 4 of 6
    So everyone with the playbar and surround set up won’t be able to use it on Airplay 2 (with the sub). That is rather a bad move I think.

I can’t get a playbase as I don’t have a table to put it on. TV is mounted on the wall, probably the same as 75% of people. That rules out the whole system being updated to Airplay 2 for me. As a result of that, I’ll likely not get anymore Sonos as their is no point anymore.

id rather spend the extra on more HomePod’s than get any of the One’s. No chance I want Alexa around (I know you can turn it off).

Sonos - if you’re listening. Stick Airplay in all your speakers, and more people will buy your speakers.

i know you can play more sources through Sonos, but it’s not easy to find what you want outside of Sonos app. So no streaming from BBC radio app for example. Just doesn’t works.

even though people say HomePod is limited, you can just play whatever the hell you like through airplay from the iPhone. Now that beats the Sonos app every single time and not restricted whatsoever.
    chopdog
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Some of us will rather have devices that support Airplay 2 with optical out to connect to receivers.

For the time being, I’ll be sticking with Airplay 1, Airport Express and RogueAmoeba’s Airfoil.
    https://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

Also, my Apple TVs connect to the living room and rec room AV receivers. So there’s that.

Given the anemic AI in Siri I don’t get the thrill of HomePod. It’s no match vs a fully equipped AV system with multiple channels plus subwoofer.

On the lower and cheaper end checkout ANEWISH Wireless Wifi Audio Receiver Support DLNA & Airplay and you can access and control multiple devices from iOS with a free download. $40 on Amazon. You get what you pay for.

• Reply 6 of 6
    chopdogchopdog Posts: 10member
    5hortty said:
    So everyone with the playbar and surround set up won’t be able to use it on Airplay 2 (with the sub). That is rather a bad move I think.

I can’t get a playbase as I don’t have a table to put it on. TV is mounted on the wall, probably the same as 75% of people. That rules out the whole system being updated to Airplay 2 for me. As a result of that, I’ll likely not get anymore Sonos as their is no point anymore.

id rather spend the extra on more HomePod’s than get any of the One’s. No chance I want Alexa around (I know you can turn it off).

Sonos - if you’re listening. Stick Airplay in all your speakers, and more people will buy your speakers.

i know you can play more sources through Sonos, but it’s not easy to find what you want outside of Sonos app. So no streaming from BBC radio app for example. Just doesn’t works.

even though people say HomePod is limited, you can just play whatever the hell you like through airplay from the iPhone. Now that beats the Sonos app every single time and not restricted whatsoever.
    I am fully in agreement, as someone with a Playbar - recently purchased - with sub and Play 1 surrounds - all recently purchased. All non compatible with Airplay 2.