Apple to produce 8M iPhone X units in Q2, trying to 'burn off' existing supply, report say...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    I have seen 10 iPhone Xs in my neighborhood while I saw 0 S9 , S8 & S7 
    So this must mean ,the Galaxy series is a flop
    Weird, because I live in the wealthiest suburb of NYC and I have only seen 2 iPhone X's. I see iPhones all over the place, but barely any Xs. Typically the newest iPhone is seen all over the place in my town, but not this time around. I also see more Samsung phones then I ever had before. That being said, iPhone X sales have nothing to do with Samsung.
    h2p
  • Reply 22 of 40
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    I continue to be skeptical of these reports in the face of stronger evidence of the iPhone X's profitability. I could certainly believe they over-ordered on a huge scale for fiscal Q1; the expected long drought of availability disappeared astonishingly quickly, a sure sign of overproduction in the runup to launch. We only have a few days to wait, but I fully expect Tim will reiterate that the iPhone X outsold each of the other flagship models once again as he did last time, and not offer much colour on that just to annoy the embarrassed analysts.

The real questions are simply "did Apple a) make more money than any other smartphone maker?" -- and we know the answer to that one is still "yes" -- and b) did Apple sell more iPhones overall than they did in the year-ago quarter," and while I suspect the answer is "yes," I wouldn't expect much growth in the face of worldwide softening smartphone demand.
    StrangeDaysh2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 40
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    A friend of mine is sales manager in a smartphone store.  In March the iPhone 8/8plus was the 2nd best selling model of the shop, the iPhone 7/7plus was at spot 12, the iPhone X was only at spot 17, and the SE at spot 19. 

One should not draw too big conclusions of these figures, this is only 1 shop in 1 country, but still this is an indication that the iPhone X could do better.  The iPhone X is not a game changer like the iPhone 6 was, the latter occupied for 8 months the top spot in his shop.
    muthuk_vanalingamavon b7tokyojimuh2pfeudalist
  • Reply 24 of 40
    I don’t get the constant crying about price. I don’t think the phone is overpriced, not compared to other flagships or even other iPhones. A 256GB iPhone 8 Plus is $949, only $200 cheaper. Over 2 years, which is the amount of time a lot of people keep their phones, it’s works out to an extra $8.33 a month. Wow! Outrageous! Skip going out to lunch once, 2 cups of coffee, or that pack of cigarettes that month & you got the extra scratch. 
    edited April 2018 StrangeDaysh2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 40
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    I am confused. Media(fake?) or stock manipulators say iPhone X not selling well but when I go to Gym or in public places, I see many people having it. So, if you expand on it through out world than numbers are higher than supply chain media says.
    edited April 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 40
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    supadav03 said:
    I don’t get the constant crying about price. I don’t think the phone is overpriced, not compared to other flagships or even other iPhones. A 256GB iPhone 8 Plus is $949, only $200 cheaper. Over 2 years, which is the amount of time a lot of people keep their phones, it’s works out to an extra $8.33 a month. Wow! Outrageous! Skip going out to lunch once, 2 cups of coffee, or that pack of cigarettes that month & you got the extra scratch. 
    When you put it like that. 

The problem is people do see an upfront cost as significant. 

Apple couldn't have guessed the supply chain there. They have to try and make demand equal supply, since that happened late in (their) Q1 they really had to continue to produce as much as possible for Q2. Then the market went soft, and supply inevitably builds up. 

Anyway, lets see the guidance. If the X is really soft they will just reduce the price. I think they may have a dip in the price post the call, and I am looking to get back in, so thats good. 
    edited April 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 40
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Cue iPhoneX fan boys in protest.  
    Cue the butthurts who refuse to believe the X is a great pocket computer and one people are willing to spend a grand on over a couple years of payments. 
    netmagemagman1979h2pwatto_cobrayojimbo007
  • Reply 28 of 40
    fbicking said:
    I got the iPhone X because I have a condition that make my fingers shack just enough that Touch ID hardly ever worked. I love Face ID but the phone is way overpriced for what it is. Personally the price has cured me of wanting to do upgrades every year. Don't see myself upgrading next year. Honestly I can't think of another feature they could add other than super long battery that would get me to spend money again without my phone dying. In many ways Apple has jumped the shark for me. Sure the products are good but they have hit a price point that I am just not willing to pay for many parts of the product line. I can afford them but see it as not being worth the investment.
    You’re very confused. Normal people don’t upgrade their smartphone annually. So that you don’t wish to do this time doesn’t mean Apple “jumped the shark”. 

Try again. 
    edited April 2018 magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 40

wizard69 said:
    Frankly I'm not surprised one bit.   The OLED screen is not a draw people think it is.   IPhone X simply costs too much!   Too much by $250.    Apple needs to pull head from behind before they loose everything.    I really don't see how people can justify the cost of IPhone X considering the limited advantages over the 8 series.

By the way FaceID isn't a big issue cost wise, HP Envy does basically the same thing in a $700 laptop.
    Oh jeeze, you armchair CEOs are a riot. First, it was a limited scalable product and its price was designed as such. Second, recent headlines cite despite this that the X taking home 35% of all smartphone profits, and you guys act like Apple is clueless. Riiiight. Let me know when you’re not working for somebody else. 

And Face ID is the same as the PC scanners? Uh huh. 
    netmagemagman1979h2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 40
    I have seen 10 iPhone Xs in my neighborhood while I saw 0 S9 , S8 & S7 
    So this must mean ,the Galaxy series is a flop
    Weird, because I live in the wealthiest suburb of NYC and I have only seen 2 iPhone X's. I see iPhones all over the place, but barely any Xs. Typically the newest iPhone is seen all over the place in my town, but not this time around. I also see more Samsung phones then I ever had before. That being said, iPhone X sales have nothing to do with Samsung.
    I see X’s all the time when I’m out at shows. Very easy to spot from a distance. 
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Everyone’s an Apple expert!
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 40
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    Oh no. They may only make enough of the most expensive iPhone ever to match the average quarterly sales of the Motorola RAZR (130m units over four years comes out to ~8.1m per quarter). How will they ever survive being buried in such an enormous pile of money.
    h2pwatto_cobratmay
  • Reply 33 of 40
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    fbicking said:
    I got the iPhone X because I have a condition that make my fingers shack just enough that Touch ID hardly ever worked. I love Face ID but the phone is way overpriced for what it is. Personally the price has cured me of wanting to do upgrades every year. Don't see myself upgrading next year. Honestly I can't think of another feature they could add other than super long battery that would get me to spend money again without my phone dying. In many ways Apple has jumped the shark for me. Sure the products are good but they have hit a price point that I am just not willing to pay for many parts of the product line. I can afford them but see it as not being worth the investment.
    So you rather spend $700 a year rather than $1000 every other year? 
    dedgeckofastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 40
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    JFC_PA said:
    My X costs an extra $8 per month with Apple financing. Versus my service costs that’s a rounding error. 

Oh and its a terrific improvement over my 7
    Plus. Imho, of course. 
    How'd you swing that?   $8 a month is only $192 over two years and $288 over three.   I thought no one was subsidizing phones anymore.  
    gatorguy
  • Reply 35 of 40
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    First i beleve this reports are mostly manipulation and are worded to confuse and create Fud..
    example :
    ‘apple ordered 8 million iphonesX but last year this time they sold 41 million...  " .. its a meanless  bullshit.  Yet on surface creats FUD.
    First how the hell do they know how many iphone X Apple ordered ? What about the other models. 

Apple does not sell  iphone X only... they did not last year either.. there is a whole lineup.  (compare Apples to Apples)
    Apple never breaks down sales by model.. so its impossible to compare yoy model distribution. 
     Most expensive model usually offer less volume but add to ASP..  does not take a genius to figure that out .
     Initial order, Inventory have a lot to do with whats reordered. 

There is so much bogus in  that report that im surprised that its even being regurgitated. 
    Its a dog  eat dog world of journalism  where there is no accountability.. anyone can say anything and getaway with it.
    Its shameful but thats a very sad fact of our  modern era.....

h2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 40
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    How come AI keeps putting this crap in. We don’t want to read rumors from supply chains....
    Well, you read it, didn’t you?

The number of these rumors makes me think there is something to them, yet, as has been stated before, If Tim Cook was lying on an earnings call, that would be an even bigger deal than poor sales. The one way I can reconcile both reports is if Cook was referencing profits of the iPhone X vs the number of units. 

It’s hard to generalize, but I suspect price is an issue for many people. For years the ‘standard’ smart phone price has been $6-700, not the X ups it to $1000. Psychologically, $1000 is a hurdle. If you are deciding between an 8 and an X, you are looking at a 40% price hike, especiallly given the relative lack of features differentiating the X from the 8. I’m not saying there is no difference between the phones, rather that the differences between them don’t justify the cost for many people.

In the end, why are people getting upp in a tizzy over this? What does it matter if the sales are off? It just makes it more likely they will drop the price with the next model. Honestly, so many people here view Apple as more of a religion than a consumer electronics company - say one bad word against His Highness, Tim Cook and you risk getting burned at the stake!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 40
    silvergold84silvergold84 Posts: 107unconfirmed, member
    A preview from who did guess right in febbrary:  

Counterpoint Research: In Q1, Apple grew 32% YoY in China due to strong iPhone X performance

I think is incredible that a speculation about stock market is been proposed again like in February , exactly ten days before financial report by Apple, again on nothing rumor trusted . I rememvee to you also what Tim Cook said about the success of iPhone X. Look at Huawei , Asus ecc: they copied notch in their top smartphones , without have 3D sensors, but almost the same design . So they would copy a smartphone that isn’t a success ? Come on . People isn’t stupid. And who have iPhone X love it (like me). It’s an amazing product, really revolutionary in easy way to use it and in his great technology 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Apple needs to add new colors to its iPhnes again! The black and silver is great but a blue or red would be better as third color!
  • Reply 39 of 40
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    Apple needs to add new colors to its iPhnes again! The black and silver is great but a blue or red would be better as third color!
    There is definitely a case for more striking colours, as style and fashion both play a part in some purchase decisions in spite of most phones ending up in cases.

I would bet on new colours arriving this year.