Apple-focused analyst Ming-Chi Kuo leaves KGI

2Ā»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    1983 said:
    Shame really, out of all those analysts he was usually by far the most accurate...RIP the rumor mill šŸ˜
    Him no longer covering AAPL, the stock of the world's most profitable company, would seem to indicate that he has failed, not that he has succeeded.
    Umm...maybe he succeeded brilliantly, and based on his analysis, shrewdly placed strategic investments...and made a buttload of money. And is now retiring. I'd call that success.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    I never found his revelations to be all that earth shaking.  Many among us here predicted a fanless macbook.  Pretty sure I was earlier than any analyst in predicting Apple would bring back the MacBook name (without Air or Pro suffix).  
    Kuo, with all his hand waving, added little to the important discussion about Apple. 

/rant
    Many of us may agree with you but his ranting proclamations were heard by the market and affected AAPL stock. Of course, he, like all the others, continue to get away with saying anything they want to say without any responsibility for inaccuracy. Mentioning you're an analyst unfortunately puts you in the same boat as Kuo, right there with poli.., oops, almost made my comment something it shouldn't be because us commenters, unlike analysts like Kuo, are held responsible for our comments by being removed from forums or by having our comments censored. Why is that???? 
    edited April 2018 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 23 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    eightzero said:
    1983 said:
    Shame really, out of all those analysts he was usually by far the most accurate...RIP the rumor mill ߘļ¦¬t;/div>
    Him no longer covering AAPL, the stock of the world's most profitable company, would seem to indicate that he has failed, not that he has succeeded.
    Umm...maybe he succeeded brilliantly, and based on his analysis, shrewdly placed strategic investments...and made a buttload of money. And is now retiring. I'd call that success.

Mangled English translation courtesy of Google Translate. Frankly, it looks to me like his supply chain spies were drying up and he could get nothing from the new people:

http://www.chinatimes.com/newspapers/20180430000198-260202
    April 30, 2018 04:09 Business Times 
    Jane Wiese /Taipei reports
    Kwak Guā€™s star analyst Guo Mingxuanā€™s persecution has left the company on Friday (27th) and the next step is not yet fully established, but it is most likely to be developed by mainland brokers or global research institutions. It is reported that Guo Minghao's future areas of responsibility are also likely to no longer focus on Apple, but to extend to more emerging industries.
    Guo Mingyi is an indicator of the rise of the Apple whirlwind. Over the past few years, he has received high recognition from international funds for his opinions. He is praised as ā€œthe most accurate expert on the surface of Apple.ā€ Even industry peers say that before the new Apple iPhone specifications All of them were revealed at the press conference in September. "But with Guo Mingyao, at least half a year ago, he knew what new tricks Apple would change."
    The rumors of Guo Mingyiā€™s departure from the end of last year began to ferment. People familiar with the matter said that the opportunities for larger markets and more emerging industries were the main reasons for conversion of famous analysts to runways.
    First of all, Taiwanā€™s competitiveness in science and technology is self-evident, but only the market value of semiconductors and Appleā€™s supply chain is large enough and complete. For example, various research institutions have invested resources into the automotive field, but apart from the components, services and software are the mainstream of the future. In contrast, the industrial ecosystems of the mainland or other countries are more complete than Taiwan and naturally attractive. .
    Furthermore, from the point of view of an analyst's career planning, it is not practical to expect that the Taiwanese transition from the successful transition of the PC Kingdom to the experience of the wisdom machine supply chain will be a big country; it will take a lot of time to turn to the future. The painful period of industrial transformation in the middle is a high opportunity cost for analysts.
    Rather than sit back and wait, it is better to participate in new trends and business opportunities than in a broader perspective, and not necessarily limited to the electronic supply chain. In the future, they will be brought back to Taiwan's industry and capital markets.
    In fact, in the past one or two years, such as Merrill Lynch, Germany, Paris Securities, etc., all of them relocated their manpower and transferred many analysts to Hong Kong or the mainland. The industries in charge do not necessarily overlap completely with those in Taiwan. The remaining foreign brokers also expanded their coverage of analysts to the Greater China market.
    Coupled with the objective factors such as the recent arrival of A-shares into the market and FII's listing in the mainland, it may also be possible to see the possible future direction of Guo Minghao.
    (Business Times)
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Apple has commented that they are focused on plugging holes. They have fired several employees and prosecuted some as well. They are looking up and down their supply chain to make sure there aren't any leaks, which is going to be hard since China doesn't really enforce trade secret theft. I'm thinking the next target will be Sonny Dickson and his sources. 

To me MCK was as accurate as a magic 8 ball. 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 25 of 25
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    rob53 said:
    I never found his revelations to be all that earth shaking.  Many among us here predicted a fanless macbook.  Pretty sure I was earlier than any analyst in predicting Apple would bring back the MacBook name (without Air or Pro suffix).  
    Kuo, with all his hand waving, added little to the important discussion about Apple. 

/rant
    Many of us may agree with you but his ranting proclamations were heard by the market and affected AAPL stock. Of course, he, like all the others, continue to get away with saying anything they want to say without any responsibility for inaccuracy. Mentioning you're an analyst unfortunately puts you in the same boat as Kuo, right there with poli.., oops, almost made my comment something it shouldn't be because us commenters, unlike analysts like Kuo, are held responsible for our comments by being removed from forums or by having our comments censored. Why is that???? 
    Rather than ask why is that, perhaps the better question is why arenā€™t analysts held to account via censorship/boycotting of their reports?  News sites could certainly stop carrying reports of analysts who prove themselves too often inaccurate or deliberaty manipulative. That we do that here with commenters isnā€™t the problem.  Before you ask me that question, just know I have no sway over AI; Iā€™m merely another commenter, selected as a moderator, a role granted by AI staff and revocable at their discretion.  I try to maintain a light touch, but will step in when it becomes obvious a commenter has no agenda other than to disrupt or mislead. 
    edited April 2018 king editor the grate
2Ā»