How to use an unsupported NAS or a spare Mac on your network as storage for Time Machine b...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    ivanh said:
    DO NOT use NAS to do Time Machine backup. You will regret sooner or later when you see the verification failure message on the Mac. NAS has its own OS(Linus, many of them), not capable of handling complex TM backup structure. Use USB 3 external drives instead.
    I use Synology NAS servers to backup my Mac servers and have never had any issues. 
  • Reply 22 of 31

volcan said:
    It is actually sad that you guys have to write this kind of article. – That Apple no longer can offer their customers a good hardware solution supporting their own backup system. Do they even make a recommendation for how to store Time Machine backups any more?
    Time Machine works perfectly by simply attaching an external drive to your Mac.

Yeah, so we went from a nice centralized backup option for a multi Mac home or small business "that just worked", to the dongle and external peripheral hell of the future Apple. Way to go Tim Cook!
    You do realize that Tim Cook doesn't make every single decision at Apple right? Just like Steve Jobs didn't make every single decision. Its not like every decision comes across Tim's desk for approval. Jesus, can we ever freaking stop blaming Tim Cook for every single god damn thing? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 31
    geirnoklebyegeirnoklebye Posts: 37unconfirmed, member
    macxpress said:
    You do realize that Tim Cook doesn't make every single decision at Apple right? Just like Steve Jobs didn't make every single decision. Its not like every decision comes across Tim's desk for approval. Jesus, can we ever freaking stop blaming Tim Cook for every single god damn thing? 
    For a CEO not knowing the company is dropping an entire product category, there is no excuse. 
  • Reply 24 of 31
    macxpress said:
    For a CEO not knowing the company is dropping an entire product category, there is no excuse. 
    I didn't say he didn't know...I said he doesn't have to approve. There are other people that work at Apple that also assist in running Apple, not just Tim Cook. And you know, sometimes its just time to move on and focus on other things. AirPort is not essential to the success of Apple. Its just simply an accessory and if they feel like they can move on and focus on other things and let 3rd parties do the same thing and succeed then it only makes sense. Like I said, the lack of an AirPort line will have little to no impact on whether or not someone buys an Apple product in the future. I'm pretty sure most didn't own an AirPort/Time Capsule in the first place. 

Am I sad to see the line go, yes however that doesn't mean I'm all over a forum pissing and moaning about Tim Cook. There are also people here who complain that Apple is doing too much and starting to spread out too far. Apple is damned if they do and damned if they don't. 
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 25 of 31
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:
    I didn't say he didn't know...I said he doesn't have to approve. There are other people that work at Apple that also assist in running Apple, not just Tim Cook. And you know, sometimes its just time to move on and focus on other things. AirPort is not essential to the success of Apple. Its just simply an accessory and if they feel like they can move on and focus on other things and let 3rd parties do the same thing and succeed then it only makes sense. Like I said, the lack of an AirPort line will have little to no impact on whether or not someone buys an Apple product in the future. I'm pretty sure most didn't own an AirPort/Time Capsule in the first place. 

Am I sad to see the line go, yes however that doesn't mean I'm all over a forum pissing and moaning about Tim Cook. There are also people here who complain that Apple is doing too much and starting to spread out too far. Apple is damned if they do and damned if they don't. 
    It is about providing an ecosystem in which an Apple customer can get the "it just works" feeling that has been lacking with the alternatives. 

There are multiple parts of the ecosystem that are being axed, screens, routers, backup devices, servers (physical), server software, the many configurations not being updated for years. On top of that comes axing functionality from systems on the altar of anorexic product thinness. 

Dismantling the ecosystem is and must be a top management collective decision. If not, there is something seriously wrong with how Apple makes their product and focus decisions these days, and even more cause for Tim Cook to clean house (or for the board to find someone who can do the job). 

Tim Cook should have less focus on being a SJW and more focus on keeping his core user base loyal. 
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 26 of 31
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:

It is about providing an ecosystem in which an Apple customer can get the "it just works" feeling that has been lacking with the alternatives. 

There are multiple parts of the ecosystem that are being axed, screens, routers, backup devices, servers (physical), server software, the many configurations not being updated for years. On top of that comes axing functionality from systems on the altar of anorexic product thinness. 

Dismantling the ecosystem is and must be a top management collective decision. If not, there is something seriously wrong with how Apple makes their product and focus decisions these days, and even more cause for Tim Cook to clean house (or for the board to find someone who can do the job). 

Tim Cook should have less focus on being a SJW and more focus on keeping his core user base loyal. 
    I'm sorry but AirPort isn't part of the eco-system. The majority of customers don't even own an AirPort/Time Capsule. There's nothing here to keep a loyal user base. There are other solutions out there that just work. If you spent more time researching instead of complaining about something thats now gone you'd know that. 

Servers simply aren't needed as its old tech nowadays in the Apple world. Apple is coming out with their own displays. 

The true eco-system is the services department in which Apple is very successful. A display isn't part of that, nor is an AirPort/Time Capsule. 
    Soli
  • Reply 27 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Timely indeed. Coincidently I changed routers for Loopback requirements not the impending demise of Apple routers (just didn't work correctly with Apple's hardware) so I bought a Linksys WRT 1200 dual channel modem/router recently and love it. I don't even need the supplied FiOS modem, it connects directly to the incoming ethernet from the ONT box in the garage. My 2TB TimeMachine is now hooked to it via ethernet and continues as a back up device for three Macs but should it die I can hook a hard drive to the Linksys via USB3. I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone with an Apple eco system..
  • Reply 28 of 31
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,727member
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:

I'm sorry but AirPort isn't part of the eco-system. The majority of customers don't even own an AirPort/Time Capsule. There's nothing here to keep a loyal user base. There are other solutions out there that just work. If you spent more time researching instead of complaining about something thats now gone you'd know that. 

Servers simply aren't needed as its old tech nowadays in the Apple world. Apple is coming out with their own displays. 

The true eco-system is the services department in which Apple is very successful. A display isn't part of that, nor is an AirPort/Time Capsule. 
    Why you say that Airport/TC is not part of an eco-system? I’d claim the opposite. If I let ok at my folks who are the classic average users probably unaware of many things their equipment can do. They don’t even want to have to think about certain things. So they entered a shop. Came home with a Mac, TC and APE and never had to worry about anything ever since I gave them a hand in setting things up. 
    I totally love the idea that I don’t need to put some fugly box in my place (yes, I k ow you can put those things out of sight but I do care about how it looks like as well) and have to cope with an even uglier web based UI.  I thing I ever saw came even close to what apple offered from that perspective. They might not be the fastest hardware but to me the user friendliest. I actually would appreciate to have an Apple branded printer back. Integration, Plug and play, same design language, user interface etc. That’s what I call an eco-system. Same with eg home appliances: I prefer one brand (or manufacturer) and the individual products just talking to each other. Not all of them are high margin products, some maybe actually loose some cash. But providing the comfortable knowledge that it’s all coming from one company delivering equal quality, user experience and seamless integration at least personally to me would be worth a lot. It seems I’m a minority, also with my preference to have some me stuff backed up locally and not to a cloud. But one can dream...
    geirnoklebye
  • Reply 29 of 31
    macxpress said:

volcan said:
    It is actually sad that you guys have to write this kind of article. – That Apple no longer can offer their customers a good hardware solution supporting their own backup system. Do they even make a recommendation for how to store Time Machine backups any more?
    Time Machine works perfectly by simply attaching an external drive to your Mac.

Yeah, so we went from a nice centralized backup option for a multi Mac home or small business "that just worked", to the dongle and external peripheral hell of the future Apple. Way to go Tim Cook!
    For a CEO to NOT knowing the company is dropping an entire product category, there is really no excuse. 
  • Reply 30 of 31
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    I just use iSCSI on the NAS, connect the Mac to it using an third party iSCI initiator for MacOS, and point Time Machine to it. Native MacOS volume format and it’s seen as a local volume, a key benefit when using Backblaze for a cloud backup of everything. iSCSI has way less overhead than AFP / SMB / NFS.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:

Why you say that Airport/TC is not part of an eco-system? I’d claim the opposite. If I let ok at my folks who are the classic average users probably unaware of many things their equipment can do. They don’t even want to have to think about certain things. So they entered a shop. Came home with a Mac, TC and APE and never had to worry about anything ever since I gave them a hand in setting things up. 
    I totally love the idea that I don’t need to put some fugly box in my place (yes, I k ow you can put those things out of sight but I do care about how it looks like as well) and have to cope with an even uglier web based UI.  I thing I ever saw came even close to what apple offered from that perspective. They might not be the fastest hardware but to me the user friendliest. I actually would appreciate to have an Apple branded printer back. Integration, Plug and play, same design language, user interface etc. That’s what I call an eco-system. Same with eg home appliances: I prefer one brand (or manufacturer) and the individual products just talking to each other. Not all of them are high margin products, some maybe actually loose some cash. But providing the comfortable knowledge that it’s all coming from one company delivering equal quality, user experience and seamless integration at least personally to me would be worth a lot. It seems I’m a minority, also with my preference to have some me stuff backed up locally and not to a cloud. But one can dream...
    I say that because its not essential in order to use any kind of Apple device and most people who have an Apple device do not have an AirPort/Time Capsule. If it was essential, then most would have one. Just because it supports Time Machine, doesn't mean its an important part of an ecosystem. As easy as you make AirPort out to be, there are those out there that will still be confused and have someone else configure it for them. Other than setting up Time Machine to back up to it, there's really no value in it. It gets internet access from the modem, and passes it on either wired or wireless to a device. I fully understand some are upset by Apple dropping it, but its time to move on. A simple router isn't the death of Apple and its not a sign that Apple is ignoring its customers or any other kind of BS someone wants to come up with. Come on folks!