2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Rayz2016 said:

Citing "little birdies," Gruber confirmed work on the initiative that will allow iOS apps to run on Mac

Unsurprisingly, he said nothing of the sort.
    I only read the latest article (not his in-depth educated guess to which he linked in the article), but I agree with you. All I read was how this could allow developers to write less code to support both iOS and macOS at the same time, not run an iOS app on a Mac.

For some maybe that distinction isn't clear, so perhaps imagining an iPad app running on an iPhone would be a better example. They support different aspect rations and resolutions so you end up with something that is less than ideal not to mention UI elements that were designed for the larger display now running on a small display.

We can look at the early days of the iPad to see iPhone apps running on the iPad. The I/O is virtually identical yet an iPhone app on the iPad was always a piss poor experience. Would an ARM-based Mac need that same kind of support until Intel-based macOS apps can be updated in the Mac App Store? Was that a Band-Aid Apple would want to repeat? Did it help iPad sales? Did it hinder iPad app development?

Personally, I'm more interested in how a unified code base—not unified or cross platform apps—will help with just getting iOS apps to run on the Plus version of the iPhone, @3x, without being scaled up from the @2x. I feel like it's been long enough.
    Soli, soli, soli...I have read articles here for many years and have found your comments to be sometimes insightful and informative - usually hilarious. I had to register this time to reply to your post.

You are wrong.

The Plus devices don’t upscale @2x to @3x at all. Until the iPhone X, @3x was a theoretical resolution - that was (and still is on Plus devices) a resolution that is rendered both by design and GPU at that exact size. At which point @3x ((1242 x 2208) portrait orientation) is downscaled to match the actual res of the plus device’s 1080 x 1920 screen real estate. (Think taking a hi-res photo and down along it to suit a smaller frame)

You couldn’t be more wrong, and for me it’s a point of contention, because I am an iOS developer and love to read these kinds of articles as it affects my future in possibly positive or negative ways, we have an uncertain future and Apple are paving the way...You are a stockholder so maybe you should be more vocal on defending/attacking the articles that are more aimed at you as a stockholder/manipulator/kool aid drinker, and leave the basics (a blank Labrador got it) of how @3x works to those that understand it. And just to be clear whilst you have a misunderstanding of “theoretical res” on the plus devices, actual @3x res was already archived by Apple with the iPhone X last year. Get out of your station and get with the program already. Get out of bed, get out of your pajamas and get a life. Just saying.
    There's a lot of data that shows that @3x images for the 5.5" iPhone, that was introduced for the iPhone 6 Plus, does exist. And I know that I have had many apps that were not optimized for that device/display regardless of what you state.

Okay umm..stackoverflow? That’s a bit like quoting Wikipedia. Worse. Okay as a self-respecting iOS dev, I will safety quote this link: https://www.paintcodeapp.com/news/iphone-6-screens-demystified

Please note that I only needed one link to prove my point. Just because some dumbass Chinese devs/stackoverflow cretins - don’t optimise their apps to support @3x, is the onus on Apple? Are we having the same convo?
      That link you supplied literally backs up my comment about the larger display, higher resolution, and even says "renders at @3x." And even though I'm not a developer, I'm aware that they rendered at a higher resolution and then downsampled for a smaller physical display, but that's not in question. The question is about running an app for a 4.7"  iPhone on a 5.5" iPhone which scales up the entire app and it looks like shit. I hope you follow Apple's HIG.
      Like I said, I think we are running a different conversation here. I am going to just leave this at this: It’s labour day here in Spain and I am going to take a beer or two, but quickly - I don’t fully understand what you are getting at. Maybe you mean when a partially blind, plus user selects the assessability “zoom” option that renders the “4.7”” version of an app to a 5.5” screen? In that case what do you expect? On the other hand (and something you misunderstand about the 4.7” screen) there isn’t a single app on the App Store designed (pixel wise) for the 4.7” screen. The truth is that all 4.7” devices run an upscaled 4” app. The only devices that run upscaled artwork/res are the 4.7” devices. Stop trying to be so clever. You never know when it will make you look stupid.
      🤦‍♂️ You’re a weird guy to assert that apps that arent specifically designed for the 5.5” display look fine. We’ve all seen it since the 6 Plus was launched, and even the link you supplied backs up my original statement that the 5.5” needs to be specifically supported for its larger size and resolution.
    • Reply 21 of 30
      thewbthewb Posts: 79member
      Why would anyone ask Steven Sinofsky's opinion about anything involving cross-platform? The epic cross-platform failure known as Windows 8 happened on his watch.

Hey, let's design a new UI specifically for tablets, and then make that UI exactly the same on the desktop too, no matter how little it makes sense with a mouse and a 27 inch monitor. (Internal monologue: That way, when developers make apps for the desktop, the apps will work on tablets too. And the app store will be the only way to get apps for our ARM-powered tablets. And just like that, we'll be in the app store business taking a 25% cut. Muahahaha!) Of course you can't swipe from beyond the edge of the screen using a mouse, we know that, but how about if you shove the mouse into a corner. That will work just fine. Oh you beta testers, you'll complain about anything we change. We say it will work and you'll like it because Fitt's Law or something. We're not going to change anything no matter how many beta testers complain. You're supposed to find and report bugs, not tell us our new UI is a bad idea. It's fine as it is. Ship it!
      SpamSandwich
    • Reply 23 of 30
      asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
      xbit said:
      asdasd said:
      This is how you would render a button in react native, this is rendered down to a UIButton somewhere in the parser code. The Render function returns what looks like HTML ( technically JSX) which allows the coder to style the button using HTML/CSS type styling patterns. Apple doesnt want this to become the default for building on iOS as it will probably not use Apple design patterns but probably realises there are some advantages to HTML. 
      Let's hope that Apple's solution doesn't have the performance bottlenecks of React Native.
      Hopefully.

My company ( where I head the mobile development) has started using React. It is limited to say the least and you need an iOS dev to do anything useful with regards to animation, or anything that needs lower level performance.  It does attract cheaper JS devs though which maybe why it is popular. 
    • Reply 24 of 30
      LesterCricket said:

Like I said, I think we are running a different conversation here. I am going to just leave this at this: It’s labour day here in Spain and I am going to take a beer or two, but quickly - I don’t fully understand what you are getting at. Maybe you mean when a partially blind, plus user selects the assessability “zoom” option that renders the “4.7”” version of an app to a 5.5” screen? In that case what do you expect? On the other hand (and something you misunderstand about the 4.7” screen) there isn’t a single app on the App Store designed (pixel wise) for the 4.7” screen. The truth is that all 4.7” devices run an upscaled 4” app. The only devices that run upscaled artwork/res are the 4.7” devices. Stop trying to be so clever. You never know when it will make you look stupid.
      Whoa whoa whoa... Lets bring sanity back to this conversation. And I will quote directly from the horse's mouth: Apple.

@2x is for Retina Display (iPhone 4 - iPhone 8; not Plus variant, and iPads with Retina Display)
      @3x is for Retina HD Display (iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X)

Apple automatically upscales for devices of varying screen resolutions, depending on which model it is.

Links:
      https://developer.apple.com/library/content/qa/qa1686/_index.html
      https://developer.apple.com/ios/human-interface-guidelines/icons-and-images/image-size-and-resolution/

So, are we done here with the whole resolution debate? Because that has NOTHING to do with Marzipan (or whatever code name it is now). The idea of unifying the codebases such that you can use the same APIs regardless of whether your are developing for iOS or macOS has already been out in the wild, and no one even paid the slightest bit of attention.

For example: They have been converting their main classes from NS* variants to just the name (NSString to String, NSNumber to Number, etc). They would have had to known that the only difference there needs to be between the iOS Screen elements (UIButton for example) and a macOS one (NSButton in the same example) is styling. But the main functionality of it (did it get pressed, what is its target, the title of the button) can be very much universal.

The obvious boons for developers out there is now we can potentially write even more reusable code, across the entire Apple ecosystem. The other main benefit is the reduction of potential bugs in their code-base. In all, this will be a huge benefit to the customer! 
    • Reply 25 of 30
      LesterCricket said:

Whoa whoa whoa... Lets bring sanity back to this conversation. And I will quote directly from the horse's mouth: Apple.

@2x is for Retina Display (iPhone 4 - iPhone 8; not Plus variant, and iPads with Retina Display)
      @3x is for Retina HD Display (iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X)

Apple automatically upscales for devices of varying screen resolutions, depending on which model it is.

Links:
      https://developer.apple.com/ios/human-interface-guidelines/icons-and-images/image-size-and-resolution/

So, are we done here with the whole resolution debate? Because that has NOTHING to do with Marzipan (or whatever code name it is now). The idea of unifying the codebases such that you can use the same APIs regardless of whether your are developing for iOS or macOS has already been out in the wild, and no one even paid the slightest bit of attention.

For example: They have been converting their main classes from NS* variants to just the name (NSString to String, NSNumber to Number, etc). They would have had to known that the only difference there needs to be between the iOS Screen elements (UIButton for example) and a macOS one (NSButton in the same example) is styling. But the main functionality of it (did it get pressed, what is its target, the title of the button) can be very much universal.

The obvious boons for developers out there is now we can potentially write even more reusable code, across the entire Apple ecosystem. The other main benefit is the reduction of potential bugs in their code-base. In all, this will be a huge benefit to the customer! 
      All I can do to contribute to your comment, is say that it’s wrong. I’m really, really sorry but you investor guys are sooooo wrong. You don’t get “this stuff” and to be fair - you shouldn’t have to.

But you are wrong. Please just let an arm64/Intel fantasy article be just that. End-of. Rather you want to taint it with your uniformed position just like Soli (you are backing-him-up) and neither of you know what you are talking about. If you want to get defensive, why don’t we just put a pin in it and “iCal” this conversation? 
      asdasd
    • Reply 26 of 30
      LesterCricket said:

Links:

All I can do to contribute to your comment, is say that it’s wrong. I’m really, really sorry but you investor guys are sooooo wrong. You don’t get “this stuff” and to be fair - you shouldn’t have to.

But you are wrong. Please just let an arm64/Intel fantasy article be just that. End-of. Rather you want to taint it with your uniformed position just like Soli (you are backing-him-up) and neither of you know what you are talking about. If you want to get defensive, why don’t we just put a pin in it and “iCal” this conversation? 
      The link you supplied even proves you wrong. How can you be developer and not know this?

edited May 2018 mike eggleston
    • Reply 27 of 30
      Soli said:
      LesterCricket said:

Links:

The link you supplied even proves you wrong. How can you be developer and not know this?

Are you stupid Soli? A developer writes code for iOS (when referring to user space, rather than unit space) we refer to the devices screen size as if all devices were running a non-retina @1x screen. Geometry concerns itself with the real scale of the device, it doesn’t mean that the GPU renders offscreen context at that smaller size and then “upscales it”. Just stop it because you are wrong. If I don’t get any of this stuff my apps would be rejected - as yes as you hoped (for what ever reason) I have infact read the HIG. Why do you think you know my job better than me? How arrogant.
      SpamSandwich
    • Reply 28 of 30
      Soli said:
      LesterCricket said:

Links:

Are you stupid Soli? A developer writes code for iOS (when referring to user space, rather than unit space) we refer to the devices screen size as if all devices were running a non-retina @1x screen. Geometry concerns itself with the real scale of the device, it doesn’t mean that the GPU renders offscreen context at that smaller size and then “upscales it”. Just stop it because you are wrong. If I don’t get any of this stuff my apps would be rejected - as yes as you hoped (for what ever reason) I have infact read the HIG. Why do you think you know my job better than me? How arrogant.
      A developer in 2018 that still doesn't optimize for the 5.5" iPhone. The horrible aesthetics and extra thick status bar don't bother you, your employer/clients? That's, um, amazing. I mean, I know you exist—hence my original post—I just didn't think anyone was proud of it.
      edited May 2018
    • Reply 29 of 30
      Soli said:
      Soli said:
      LesterCricket said:

Links:

A developer in 2018 that still doesn't optimize for the 5.5" iPhone. The horrible aesthetics and extra thick status bar don't bother you, your employer/clients? That's, um, amazing. I mean, I know you exist—hence my original post—I just didn't think anyone was proud of it.
      Soli? Do you listen to me? An app that doesn’t support @3x gets rejected. Admittley I have seen some rogue apps slip through. You can also tell when a UIAlertView pops up. i.e. “This app want to access your photos because...” Like I said yesterday we are on a different page clearly. My point was that @2x apps are NOT upscaled to suit a @3x resolution display. All artwork provided to the app is created at the theoretical resolution of 1242 x 2208 and then it is rendered down to 1080 x 1920. All UI elements created by code use points not pixels and are multiplied by the scale of the screen at @3x in perfect, shape and crisp form - and then in turn downscaled to meet the real pixel count. They are NOT upscaled. You might be talking about apps that haven’t been updated in a while (abandonware) or apps that slipped through on a Monday morning/Friday afternoon/4th July? Who knows? Please stop insulting my intelligence. I have expressed that we might be talking about different things? But you continue to rant about the same point that we may not be talking about. Can you show a little flexibility and realise we might both be right/wrong depending on the motivation of our comments? The reason I pulled you in the first place was because you went off-topic (like usual) and in this case something that I have a passion for and care about, whilst you mooch about looking at your stock options?
      SpamSandwich
    • Reply 30 of 30
      Soli said:
      Soli said:
      Soli said:
      Soli said:
      Rayz2016 said:

Citing "little birdies," Gruber confirmed work on the initiative that will allow iOS apps to run on Mac

Unsurprisingly, he said nothing of the sort.
      I only read the latest article (not his in-depth educated guess to which he linked in the article), but I agree with you. All I read was how this could allow developers to write less code to support both iOS and macOS at the same time, not run an iOS app on a Mac.

For some maybe that distinction isn't clear, so perhaps imagining an iPad app running on an iPhone would be a better example. They support different aspect rations and resolutions so you end up with something that is less than ideal not to mention UI elements that were designed for the larger display now running on a small display.

We can look at the early days of the iPad to see iPhone apps running on the iPad. The I/O is virtually identical yet an iPhone app on the iPad was always a piss poor experience. Would an ARM-based Mac need that same kind of support until Intel-based macOS apps can be updated in the Mac App Store? Was that a Band-Aid Apple would want to repeat? Did it help iPad sales? Did it hinder iPad app development?

Personally, I'm more interested in how a unified code base—not unified or cross platform apps—will help with just getting iOS apps to run on the Plus version of the iPhone, @3x, without being scaled up from the @2x. I feel like it's been long enough.
      Soli, soli, soli...I have read articles here for many years and have found your comments to be sometimes insightful and informative - usually hilarious. I had to register this time to reply to your post.

You are wrong.

The Plus devices don’t upscale @2x to @3x at all. Until the iPhone X, @3x was a theoretical resolution - that was (and still is on Plus devices) a resolution that is rendered both by design and GPU at that exact size. At which point @3x ((1242 x 2208) portrait orientation) is downscaled to match the actual res of the plus device’s 1080 x 1920 screen real estate. (Think taking a hi-res photo and down along it to suit a smaller frame)

You couldn’t be more wrong, and for me it’s a point of contention, because I am an iOS developer and love to read these kinds of articles as it affects my future in possibly positive or negative ways, we have an uncertain future and Apple are paving the way...You are a stockholder so maybe you should be more vocal on defending/attacking the articles that are more aimed at you as a stockholder/manipulator/kool aid drinker, and leave the basics (a blank Labrador got it) of how @3x works to those that understand it. And just to be clear whilst you have a misunderstanding of “theoretical res” on the plus devices, actual @3x res was already archived by Apple with the iPhone X last year. Get out of your station and get with the program already. Get out of bed, get out of your pajamas and get a life. Just saying.
      There's a lot of data that shows that @3x images for the 5.5" iPhone, that was introduced for the iPhone 6 Plus, does exist. And I know that I have had many apps that were not optimized for that device/display regardless of what you state.

Okay umm..stackoverflow? That’s a bit like quoting Wikipedia. Worse. Okay as a self-respecting iOS dev, I will safety quote this link: https://www.paintcodeapp.com/news/iphone-6-screens-demystified

Please note that I only needed one link to prove my point. Just because some dumbass Chinese devs/stackoverflow cretins - don’t optimise their apps to support @3x, is the onus on Apple? Are we having the same convo?
        That link you supplied literally backs up my comment about the larger display, higher resolution, and even says "renders at @3x." And even though I'm not a developer, I'm aware that they rendered at a higher resolution and then downsampled for a smaller physical display, but that's not in question. The question is about running an app for a 4.7"  iPhone on a 5.5" iPhone which scales up the entire app and it looks like shit. I hope you follow Apple's HIG.
        🤦‍♂️ You’re a weird guy to assert that apps that arent specifically designed for the 5.5” display look fine. We’ve all seen it since the 6 Plus was launched, and even the link you supplied backs up my original statement that the 5.5” needs to be specifically supported for its larger size and resolution.
        Maybe I’m weird. Please feel free to point, stare and talk amongst yourselves. Meanwhile - you can’t read.