Apple plans new $100B share buyback program, raises dividends by 16 percent

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    pslice said:
    pslice said:
    Another example of trickle down - ha! Big business gets tax breaks and they have stock buybacks and increased dividends. We own some stock in Apple, but this is a perfect example of how Trump’s tax cuts aren’t working for Americans. I think this stinks!
    Presumably this comment will also be unceremoniously deleted with prejudice soon.
    Why should my comment be deleted? What needs to happen is that these tech companies work together to bring Broadband to the entire country. We are lucky, where I live, to get 6Mps. I have asked the phone company about the DSL speed being increased, but they won't. I know big business has a conscience somewhere to help everyone. Right now we have the richest in the country getting richer and the price will be paid for by the lower and middle income brackerts. So, not deleting the comment. Apple, Microsoft and all the other tech companies have the where with all to expand tech to everyone instead of increasing dividends. You must be part of the 1%. I'm not, but I do think we all have the right to our own opinion instead of being so pompous.
    It's not the job of the US government to provide Internet service. That's up to the forces of supply and demand. If people choose to live in areas where there is little demand or little chance of profitability for service providers, they won't go there. On the other hand, Elon Musk will be offering satellite-based, low latency high-speed Internet service in the near future.
    You apparently slept through the part of American History where government did with the TVA exactly what you say it should never do.   The result was a leap forward for Americans and American business.

Things work better when we work together.   This "Your on your own to sink or swim" is a recent bastardization of the Reagan philosophy from the far right and TeaBaggers.  

• Reply 22 of 25
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    All these 100s of billions of dollars in Apple stock buybacks...if they carry on along this path, does that mean they’ll ultimately go private? I’m not that familiar with how the stock market works...
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 23 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    1983 said:
    All these 100s of billions of dollars in Apple stock buybacks...if they carry on along this path, does that mean they’ll ultimately go private? I’m not that familiar with how the stock market works...
    No, it's strictly meant as a way of boosting the stock price:   The same corporate value divided by fewer outstanding shares boosts the price of each outstanding share. 

Essentially, it's funneling the dollars from the tax scam to shareholders.  Sort of a ponzi scheme since, at some point, the borrowed money used to perpetrate the scam will have to be paid back....
  • Reply 24 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Screw the buyback. Buy more businesses which are crucial to Apple's operations and to them completely owning their product, from A-to-Z. How about buying up cell towers to lease back to the cellular providers if they're not going to buy a cellular service provider itself? Or go into business with Elon Musk's satellite Internet based company? Or buy up the mineral and mining operations which extract the rare earth materials used to make the batteries they require?

I see the buyback as Apple investing in the best tech company in the world.
    It's not an investment.  
  • Reply 25 of 25
    Buybacks should start in Oct, and 3 yrs after.