Apple stock price sets new post-split record closing at $183.83

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    Certainly cannot Blame Mr Buffet's group for buying a discounted cash flow or trading idle cash for working capital.
    I don't.  
    Why were the Analysts wrong and what was the penalty ?  
    Reason ?
    Penalty ?  No Penalty. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    eightzero said:
    Time for another split.
    Nah. Let it run up to $1000 again first.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    crowley said:
    Soli said:

I think $197.44 will bring it to a $1T market cap with the current number of outstanding shares listed on Google.

My math, in case someone wants to check it:

$1,000,000,000,000 ÷ (931,070,000,000 outstanding shares ÷ $183.83) = $197.4395 per share

$931.07bn is the current market cap, not the number of outstanding shares, but otherwise your calculations are correct.
    Apple's market cap as of today's close was $903.55 billion. Some sources are misreporting it because they haven't upadated Apple's outstanding share count. We got a new outstanding share count of 4,915,138,000 (as of April 20th) when Apple filed its Q2 2018 10-Q on Wednesday.

Based on that share count, Apple would need to go above $203.45 to hit a market cap of $1trillion.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 24 of 34
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    carnegie said:
    crowley said:
    Soli said:

I think $197.44 will bring it to a $1T market cap with the current number of outstanding shares listed on Google.

$1,000,000,000,000 ÷ (931,070,000,000 outstanding shares ÷ $183.83) = $197.4395 per share

$931.07bn is the current market cap, not the number of outstanding shares, but otherwise your calculations are correct.
    Apple's market cap as of today's close was $903.55 billion. Some sources are misreporting it because they haven't upadated Apple's outstanding share count. We got a new outstanding share count of 4,915,138,000 (as of April 20th) when Apple filed its Q2 2018 10-Q on Wednesday.

Based on that share count, Apple would need to go above $203.45 to hit a market cap of $1trillion.
    I (and Google) stand corrected.

• Reply 25 of 34
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    crowley said:
    Soli said:

Yep. I added that detail in an edit in an attempt to make it more clear. 🤦‍♂️ Thanks for pointing it out.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 26 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    carnegie said:
    crowley said:
    Soli said:

What's the difference? This is the most profitable company in the world (?) right now. So what if it hits or exceeds $1 trillion? It would just mean they'd have more cash on hand that governments everywhere would try to extort from them.
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 34
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Analysts market themselves to segments. The downers appeal to those who want to believe Apple is doomed, the uppers appeal to those think Apple is the second coming. And there are analysts for those who think they are rational and don't take extreme extremes. 

That's how they get business and make their commissions and salaries and make their markets on their prognostications. It's a con game all around. 

I'll have to admit I have no idea how computerized trading works. I would presume these owners make their billions on the micro-moves in stock variability. 

All in all, stock prices are not a good measure of any company's fundamentals. 
    edited May 2018 feudalistwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 34
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    lkrupp said:
    maestro64 said:
    As apple buy more of itself it drives up those companies position in the Apple, Before we know those 3 company could own over 50% of Apple, They could be scary if they want board position and begin driving apple in the wrong direction.

I suspect that Apple bough more stock last week when it dip to $160
    How about thinking positive for once in your life? The Debbie Downers of this world are sad cases.
    Buffett doesn’t seek board seats.  He, and Berkshire, aren’t activist investors.  I believe the other two aren’t activist funds either. 
  • Reply 29 of 34
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member

Kuyangkoh said:
    Analyst are so quiet....did they got fired for guessing it all wrong? Or maybe drawings some liners for the next quarter, hahahaha
    I think most of them are busy packing for their all expense paid vacation to the Bahamas, paid for by their big investor clients, as a way of thanking them for being able to load up on cheap AAPL shares before earnings, at the expense of the little investors.
    edited May 2018 feudalistwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 34
    davidw said:

Kuyangkoh said:
    Analyst are so quiet....did they got fired for guessing it all wrong? Or maybe drawings some liners for the next quarter, hahahaha
    I think most of them are busy packing for their all expense paid vacation to the Bahamas, paid for by their big investor clients, as a way of thanking them for being able to load up on cheap AAPL shares before earnings, at the expense of the little investors.
    Investors, little or big, would have held throughout.  I think you meant to say, at the possible expense of traders and speculators.  Only those who were on the wrong side of the action.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 34
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    lkrupp said:
    maestro64 said:
    As apple buy more of itself it drives up those companies position in the Apple, Before we know those 3 company could own over 50% of Apple, They could be scary if they want board position and begin driving apple in the wrong direction.

How about thinking positive for once in your life? The Debbie Downers of this world are sad cases.
    Buffett doesn’t seek board seats.  He, and Berkshire, aren’t activist investors.  I believe the other two aren’t activist funds either. 
    Carl Icahn is the worst activist investor on the planet. I’m so glad he got out of Apple’s way. If you live around St. Louis Icahn is Satan for what he did to TWA, shutting it down and selling off the pieces, and taking away St. Louis’ Lambert Field designation as an international airport. We would piss on his grave if we could.
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 34
    PickUrPoisonPickUrPoison Posts: 302member
    This makes perfect sense, usually when Apple is doing well stock price goes down, now after months of hearing about the failure of the iPhone X stock price rises.

even though "you can put all their products on a dining room table." 

Not everyone has a dining room table that could hold even the 50 odd million iPhones recently sold, never mind all their products.
    8 iPhone, 4 iPad, 3 iMac, 4 MacBook, Mac mini, Mac Pro, maybe half a dozen various Apple Watch models, AirPod, HomePod, Apple TV, iPod Touch. Various accessories like Apple Pencil, keyboards and trackpads. 

I think most dining room tables could easily fit that, couldn’t they?
    anantksundaramSpamSandwich
  • Reply 33 of 34
    lkrupp said:
    lkrupp said:
    maestro64 said:

Carl Icahn is the worst activist investor on the planet. I’m so glad he got out of Apple’s way. If you live around St. Louis Icahn is Satan for what he did to TWA, shutting it down and selling off the pieces, and taking away St. Louis’ Lambert Field designation as an international airport. We would piss on his grave if we could.
    Yes, but he’s neither Vanguard nor BlackRock, the two with larger investments in Apple than Buffett and the entities to which I was referring. 
  • Reply 34 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Soli said:
    I'm in no hurry to see Apple reach a $1T market cap, especially if it can't hold it.
    Why do you think reaching $1T matters? And why would holding it matter? The only reason “it matters” is because the share price would be higher but that’s all shareholders want anyway. The market cap reaching $1T is only something to brag about, it doesn’t have an effect on anything else. 
    Milestones are often accomplishments that one could brag about, but it's not absolute, just like when you reach 100k or 1M miles in a car.  Is that something to brag about or just a milestone and fun to see all the numbers rolling over? It's more of a brag for Apple to 1) reach a new post-split record and 2) have that be at closing as opposed to a spike during the day, but I'd still label that as a milestone. And because there's a major psychological component involved (see 99¢ pricing), it could help Apple to have that milestone on record.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-humans-celebrate-base-10-milestones
    Totally agree.  

I bet if Apple were not to be first over that line, many of those same people saying 'what's the big deal?' (not AI members of course ... cough cough) would be the first to gloat about Apple not crossing the line 'that doesn't matter' first.
    watto_cobra