Berkshire Hathaway and Warren Buffett not done with Apple stock, 'would love to own 100 pe...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    charlesatlascharlesatlas Posts: 398member
    MacPro said:
    To own 100% he needs mine ... make me an offer I can't refuse Warren...  ;)
    Don't be so greedy. I'd be willing to let each of my AAPL shares go in a one-for-one swap for BRK. >:)
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 22 of 33
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    chasm said:
    If they'd bought all of that $25B of stock at $155.15 (the lowest closing price since January), they'd have made an additional $4.8B by today
    Actually they don't make any money on the share buyback. The shares are retired.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    volcan said:
    chasm said:
    If they'd bought all of that $25B of stock at $155.15 (the lowest closing price since January), they'd have made an additional $4.8B by today
    Actually they don't make any money on the share buyback. The shares are retired.
    I believe they keep some to issue to employees and board members.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    When people like warren buffet own 100% of any company, it doesn’t last long. The beauty of Apple is that a majority of the stocks are owned by people who are interested in more than the bottom line. And it works. It’s what made the company great and will continue to do so. 
  • Reply 25 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    MacPro said:
    To own 100% he needs mine ... make me an offer I can't refuse Warren...  ;)
    Don't be so greedy. I'd be willing to let each of my AAPL shares go in a one-for-one swap for BRK. >:)
    Be fearful when others are greedy and be greedy when others are fearful (I’m paraphrasing a famous Buffet quote).
  • Reply 26 of 33
    francinifrancini Posts: 2member
    mac_dog said:
    When people like warren buffet own 100% of any company, it doesn’t last long. The beauty of Apple is that a majority of the stocks are owned by people who are interested in more than the bottom line. And it works. It’s what made the company great and will continue to do so. 
    Really? Tell that to Elliot and Barry Tatelmen, the owners of Jordan's Furniture, a New England institution. Berkshire Hathaway bought them (privately held) in 1999. Elliot Tatelman is still in charge of the company, and they've done nothing but prosper. I'd say the B-H is definitely in it for the long haul with them.

According to Wikipedia, BH owns a number of companies -- some decades ago -- that have continuted to prosper under their ownership. These include GEICO, Fruit-of-the-Loom, Russell Corporation (sports clothing), Justin Brands (owns boot brands Chippewa and Tony Lama Boots), Johns Manville fiberglass products, See's Candies, Dairy Queen, and the company that makes Ginsu knives. All of these are doing well, and are generally left to run themselves.
    SoliSpamSandwich
  • Reply 27 of 33
    staigardstaigard Posts: 26member
    volcan said:
    chasm said:
    Apple don't make money. Apple shareholders do. Somebody has to be up. Buybacks do not destroy value.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    So collectively the Staff and executive of Apple own less than 5% or is there no measure as they aren't technically a block?
    Wondering more what percentage of shareholders would be keen to go private. Sounds like Buffet would.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    mattinoz said:
    So collectively the Staff and executive of Apple own less than 5% or is there no measure as they aren't technically a block?
    Wondering more what percentage of shareholders would be keen to go private. Sounds like Buffet would.
    We don't know how much of Apple is owned by employees. But as of December of last year, Apple's current board and executive officers combined owned less than 1/10th of one percent of Apple.

Also, for Apple to go private the vast majority of its shareholders would have to sell their shares. A privately-held company is limited in the number of shareholders it can have.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Soli said:
    volcan said:
    chasm said:
    I have not read about that so a link would be helpful, but even if that is true Apple, the corporation, still doesn’t  directly earn money on the value of the shares they repurchase. 
    The idea is that by repurchasing stock they increase the value of shareholders investment by reducing the quantity of shares relative to the market cap.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    Soli said:
    volcan said:
    chasm said:
    Apple retires the shares it buys back. It issues new shares when, e.g., RSU awards vest.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    staigard said:
    volcan said:
    chasm said:
    Apple don't make money. Apple shareholders do. Somebody has to be up. Buybacks do not destroy value.
    I have no idea what your point is, but it has absolutely nothing to do with my comments 
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 33 of 33
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    mac_dog said:
    Actually, about 2/3 of Apple stock is owned by institutional investors.

Vanguard and Blackrock and Mellon and State Street Corp. All they care about is the bottom line. All that Apple cares about is the bottom line.  All that Tim cares about is the bottom line.

If making fun stuff for us to buy is a good method, they will pursue that strategy. They are not a civic benevolent fund. Their only goal is to maximize total profit and to send it to Wall Street. Period. Everything else is a means to that end.

SpamSandwich