App Store could get flooded with gambling apps, after SCOTUS kills sports wager ban

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I'm sure Apple will be blamed in the future for people gambling away their money. 
    Absolutely. The lawyers are probably already thinking about that.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 22 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    lkrupp said:
    Absolutely. The lawyers are probably already thinking about that.
    You know how media companies write obituaries years before people die so they can be the first to publish them when it happens? Do you think East Texas lawyers have a hundred machine-drafted class action suits against Apple–on varying topics–just waiting for the day that Apple actually enters whatever category of product they cover?  :p
  • Reply 23 of 33
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,732member
    The vast majority of sports betting in the U.S. is done illegally, so both sports ownership and states view that as a potential revenue boon. However, the current level of corruption in the U.S. doesn't bode well for how that will work out for the sports leagues. Guaranteed there will be some kind of major scandal involving point shaving/game throwing and the like.
    “Current level of corruption”? LOL! Wherever there are 2 or more people there will be corruption. Today is no different from all the days which came before it.
    Depends if you believe that greed is in human nature or conditioned in us by the society we create.  Social/group positive reinforcement and reward for greedy behaviour begets more of it.  But it's easier just to believe in destiny than to take responsibility for the effects of our words and actions.
    edited May 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    auxio said:
    The vast majority of sports betting in the U.S. is done illegally, so both sports ownership and states view that as a potential revenue boon. However, the current level of corruption in the U.S. doesn't bode well for how that will work out for the sports leagues. Guaranteed there will be some kind of major scandal involving point shaving/game throwing and the like.
    “Current level of corruption”? LOL! Wherever there are 2 or more people there will be corruption. Today is no different from all the days which came before it.
    Depends if you believe that greed is in human nature or conditioned in us by the society we create.  Social/group positive reinforcement and reward for greedy behaviour begets more of it.  But it's easier just to believe in destiny than to take responsibility for the effects of our words and actions.
    Corruption needn't be confined to monetary matters, but it probably is most associated with it.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 25 of 33
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,732member
    auxio said:
    Corruption needn't be confined to monetary matters, but it probably is most associated with it.
    I'm just addressing the OP's comment about "current level of corruption" (relative to the past).

You believe that corruption has always been the same (i.e. corruption/greed is just human nature).  I believe that it has, and will continue to, increase as it's rewarded by either monetary gains or social reinforcement.  We determine our own future by how we set up society (what's legal/illegal, what's rewarded and what isn't, etc) and what we believe in and reinforce in others.  As time progresses, you'll see more of certain types of behaviour based on this.
    edited May 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 33
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    auxio said:
    You believe that corruption has always been the same (i.e. corruption/greed is just human nature).  I believe that it has, and will continue to, increase as it's rewarded by either monetary gains or social reinforcement.  We determine our own future by how we set up society (what's legal/illegal, what's rewarded and what isn't, etc) and what we believe in and reinforce in others.  As time progresses, you'll see more of certain types of behaviour based on this.
    I'd say it is a mixture of both... human nature, but then diminished or magnified by the environment.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    auxio said:
    auxio said:
    I'm just addressing the OP's comment about "current level of corruption" (relative to the past).

Know what's great about competition? It keeps corruption in check. If a company attempts to monopolize something or the profits in an industry or in a product are very high, there will almost assuredly soon be lots of competition for the same customers, which drives down prices.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    brad6788 said:
    If this does happen, their services revenue will explode. 30% of all in app purchases....
    They are the ones who have said ‘No’ to this. So please shut up.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    it's crazy what the USA bans considering you can freely buy a gun and ammo at the supermarket.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    SpamSandwich said: “Current level of corruption”? LOL! Wherever there are 2 or more people there will be corruption. Today is no different from all the days which came before it.
    No different? Gambling used to be something that was kept compartmentalized from pro sports. It was taboo for there to be a known connection between the two. Nowadays, you have people like Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft investing in stuff like Draft Kings and then the adverts are plastered all over the various network NFL gameday telecasts. And that was BEFORE it was actually legal. Think about that. Draft Kings etc. was basically ruled to have been illegal gambling. Did Jones or Kraft get punished by the NFL? Nope. So there's already an atmosphere of "it doesn't really matter" when it comes to gambling/pro sports even when it is illegal, which in turn is what I mean when I say that the level of corruption will cause some sort of major scandal later on, guaranteed. There's no wariness about how easy it would be to ruin the leagues anymore. Ownership sees the money that can be made and nothing else. 
  • Reply 31 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    adm1 said:
    it's crazy what the USA bans considering you can freely buy a gun and ammo at the supermarket.
    Wow, people are allowed to protect themselves. Is that supposed to be indicative of something? Other than “other countries’ governments explicitly do not want citizens to have the right to life”?
    SpamSandwichcgWerks
  • Reply 32 of 33
    adm1 said:
    Wow, people are allowed to protect themselves. Is that supposed to be indicative of something? Other than “other countries’ governments explicitly do not want citizens to have the right to life”?
    Glad you addressed that moronic post. I couldn’t do it due to my blood pressure.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    adm1 said:
    Thanks for addressing that. I'm always a bit surprised to see how ignorant people are of history and human rights and such.