App Store discovery improved after Apple's iOS 11 redesign, study claims

Posted:
in iPhone
The redesigned iOS App Store, launched last September, seems to have finally fulfilled developers' wishes for easier discovery, according to a recent study.

iphone8-appstore-fortnite

Discovery of apps by browsing -- rather than keywords and referrals -- has stayed consistently higher each month since iOS 11 was released, said analytics firm Sensor Tower. Whereas the ratio was about 12 percent in August 2017, it topped 15 percent in September, and managed that performance or better in October, November, December, and April.

Even a dip between January and March was still above August figures.

For years developers have complained that their apps can get lost in the shuffle. There are millions of titles on the App Store, and it can be difficult to discover quality ones unless they have major buzz or marketing behind them.

The iOS 11 redesign brought curated content to the fore, with regular "App of the Day" and "Game of the Day" sections as well as lists, how-tos, and developer interviews. Apple has attempted lists and highlights in the past, but often without much insight as to why people should download something.

App Store discovery is crucial to developers, since it's the only authorized means of selling or downloading iPhone and iPad apps. Android users normally find apps through the Google Play Store, but can technically get apps elsewhere.

The U.S. Justice Department recently sided with Apple in a Supreme Court battle over whether the App Store violates antitrust laws. Plaintiffs have complained that Apple's monopoly is harmful not just to competition, but to developers and consumers, since the company's 30 percent cut may inflate the prices developers have to charge.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    The App Store is not a monopoly. If they don't like Apples policies, there's the Google store.
    racerhomie3StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    berndogberndog Posts: 90member
    There is still way too much garbage on the app store getting in the way of customers finding the real gems lost in the tumult.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    berndog said:
    There is still way too much garbage on the app store getting in the way of customers finding the real gems lost in the tumult.
    The Editors choices are quite good.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    berndog said:
    I’ve never thought I was supposed to randomly find good apps. The apps I use build a reputation, a brand, are marketed, etc — just like any other product. Nobody whines about “discoverability” at Home Depot, or the grocery store...customers just go in and get what they’re looking for. What makes app developers so special?
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Roger - what Apple monopoly? You can’t have a monopoly on your own store. Thats like saying a Burger King has a monopoly on Whoppers. It doesn’t make any sense. 
    watto_cobraapres587
  • Reply 6 of 8
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    nunzy said:
    The App Store is not a monopoly. If they don't like Apples policies, there's the Google store.
    I own an app development company and the biggest revenue source is apps developed for 3rd parties (apps for banks, transport companies, shops, ....).  My customers always ask iOS and Android versions of their apps; there is no iOS or Android option. For my company the App store is definitely perceived as a monoploy 
    apres587
  • Reply 7 of 8
    apres587apres587 Posts: 51member
    cropr said:
    nunzy said:
    I own an app development company and the biggest revenue source is apps developed for 3rd parties (apps for banks, transport companies, shops, ....).  My customers always ask iOS and Android versions of their apps; there is no iOS or Android option. For my company the App store is definitely perceived as a monoploy 
    If your customers keep requesting iOS and Android versions of your apps, why aren't you developing them and satisfying your customers?  You won't or can't develop iOS apps and its all Apple's fault for being a "monopoly"?  And why aren't you also blaming Android (Google) which has much more market share than Apple?
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 8 of 8
    cropr said:
    nunzy said:
    Then you’re perceiving it wrong. Happens...can lead a horse to water, but..