Future Apple biometric security may include scanning veins in a user's face

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Personally, I would like to see Apple provide the option of replacing both touchid and FaceId with the Apple Watch.   If its on your wrist, the phone unlocks when you raise it.   No touching it.  No looking at it....

The Apple Watch is already secure enough to enable ApplePay without any unlocking.  Even without a phone present, you simply get it near the scanner and BLIP! -- the payment is complete.

Most people with Apple Watches wear them all day every day.   This would  be a great enhancement.
    1) I'm confused by your statement. Your Apple Watch has to be unlocked for Apple Pay to be accessible. Same fro your iPhone. In all cases, the device that contains the Apple Pay data requires that the PIN or passcode to have been authenticated, that a certain time hasn't passed, and that there wasn't some kill switch sent to disable that service.

2) There are lots of reasons why an unlocking mechanism on the device is better than requiring a tether to another device that you may or may not have with you and may or may not be powered up. Even if the number of Apple Watches sold equaled the number of iPhones sold it still wouldn't be a good idea.

3) Even now, you're required to own an iPhone to setup an Apple Watch, yet the Watch has its own secure element for Apple Pay purchases. You don't have to have your iPhone with you to use Apple Pay. It's an offline system once the initial authentication with your financial institution occurs per card per device.
    1)  You only unlock it once a day -- when you put it on.   Not every time you use it.
    2)  It doesn't have to be either/or -- just as entering a PIN or TouchId/FaceId is not either or.
    3)  Yeh.   What's your point?

Admittedly some may not like it.  For instance those who tend to leave their phones laying around as they do other things -- or those who fear the police unlocking their phone.  

But for those of us with an Apple  Watch and who keep our phones in our pockets, this would be a nice convenience instead of having to unlock your phone every time you use it. 

The analogy is the watch itself.  You unlock once when you put it on.  After that, it doesn't need to be unlocked again till you take it off no matter how many times you use it or what you use it for:   Time, exercise tracking, Apple Pay, timer, weather, messages, email, etc...   The phone could just feed off of that  so if the watch is unlocked so is the phone as long as it stays connected.
    1) You said you don't have to unlock it. You have to unlock all these devices to use those services. It's a false statement to say otherwise. And, no, I personally don't unlock it only just once a day because I take it off at least 2 or 3x a day to charge; usually for shower/getting ready and sometimes for exercising if it requires it not to be worn. I wear mine during sleep to record my sleep patterns.

2) I don't understand what you're getting at here. The number of Apple Watches doesn't even come close to the number of iPhones sold so this idea that biometrics should be removed completely from the iPhone lineup because some people have an Apple Watch doesn't make any sense.

3) The point is that have Apple Pay on both systems and each systems locally authenticating a purchase is good for the product. The same goes for the iPad and Mac. If my iPhone is lost or stolen I can dissolve all the pseudonymbers® that each of my financial institutions created and tied to my physical card number fore each device without affecting any of the other pseudonymbers tied to other devices for my accounts. With your setup that everything is pushed through the Apple Watch I risk 1) a slower transaction (see Mike W's comments about his issues unlocking his Mac with his Apple Watch), and 2) having no way to make a payment if not having one device means that the chain is broken and authentication to unlock the device no longer works.

4) Is this about the notch? Are you looking for ways to get rid of the notch? The camera and other sensors would still be there if they removed Face ID and while the notch could be smaller, it may not be better. Just look at the ironically-named Essential phone.

5) I'd much rather see more independent features come to the Watch at WWDC so I can reduce my use of the iPhone more, not a way to lessen the iPhone's capabilities, slow down my access to it as it verifies that the Watch is still tethered via BT, or for it to be more anchored to the iPhone than it is already.

crowley said:
    I don't think he means removing the hardware of Face/Touch Id, just offering users (those that have an Apple Watch) the additional ability to authenticate and unlock using the presence of an unlocked Apple Watch, in the exact same way that the presence of an unlocked Apple Watch can unlock a Mac.
    There now....  That wasn't so hard was it?
    nht
  • Reply 22 of 23
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office published a patent on Tuesday called "Vein imaging using detection of pulsed radiation," granted to Apple. First applied for on November 12, 2015, the patent describes the use of an infrared emitter and a receiver that can detect blood vessel patterns below the surface of the skin. 
    With this hardware and some software, any iPhone could be used as a vein finder, allowing easy blood draws for people with difficult to find veins.  Commercial vein finding hardware is expensive.  It would be best for this purpose, though, to have the finder hardware on the opposite side from the display.