Berkshire Hathaway now Apple's third-largest shareholder after big Q1 investment [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    MacPro said:
    carnegie said:
    MacPro said:
    MacPro said:
    Buffett will take Berkshire’s stake to 10%, you can be confident of that.  And he’ll likely get it there this year.  
    I may own a nice pile of AAPL and some Netflix but I know squat about the stock market workings.  Don't laugh but I have never quite understood how it works, for example how did Buffet buy that much, did people have to sell them before he could buy them?  There is a finite number available right (and getting less as Apple buy and retire them), so how does that work?
    Did someone give you stock? Because unless you’re given stock you’d know that stocks are typically (but not always) bought and sold on an exchange through a stock broker.
    I wish.  No, lol I bought it myself, several hundred thousand $'s worth, mostly  back at $7-12 a share pre-split, using our online accounts, much of it IRA some liquid.  You are missing the meaning of my question and obvious lack of understanding. OK I'll try again ...  If there is an finite number of shares and all are owned how are any available for purchase? That is the question, to which I am sure there is a simple explanation.
    When you buys shares of a company, other than through a public offering from the company itself, you are buying them from other people (or, e.g., institutions). People buy shares, in part, with the hope of being able to sell them to someone else at a higher price some day.

That's what happens with exchanges, e.g. the NYSE. People who own shares are trying to sell them and others are trying to buy them. It typically isn't the company doing either, though sometimes a company is among those trying to buy its shares. There are a little less than 5 billion AAPL shares outstanding, and that number has been generally shrinking over the last few years. But on a typical day, 20 to 40 million shares of AAPL get sold from one person (or entity of some form) to another.
    Thanks for an intelligent answer.   That's exactly how I understood it.  So when a buyer such as Buffet comes along there is only so many shares for sale at any given time right?
    Frankly, I find it very strange that you were willing to pour "several hundred thousand dollars" of your own money into something you did not understand. How did you arrive at the decision to buy AAPL in the first place?
  • Reply 22 of 32
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    MacPro said:
    carnegie said:
    MacPro said:
    MacPro said:
    Buffett will take Berkshire’s stake to 10%, you can be confident of that.  And he’ll likely get it there this year.  
    I may own a nice pile of AAPL and some Netflix but I know squat about the stock market workings.  Don't laugh but I have never quite understood how it works, for example how did Buffet buy that much, did people have to sell them before he could buy them?  There is a finite number available right (and getting less as Apple buy and retire them), so how does that work?
    Did someone give you stock? Because unless you’re given stock you’d know that stocks are typically (but not always) bought and sold on an exchange through a stock broker.
    I wish.  No, lol I bought it myself, several hundred thousand $'s worth, mostly  back at $7-12 a share pre-split, using our online accounts, much of it IRA some liquid.  You are missing the meaning of my question and obvious lack of understanding. OK I'll try again ...  If there is an finite number of shares and all are owned how are any available for purchase? That is the question, to which I am sure there is a simple explanation.
    When you buys shares of a company, other than through a public offering from the company itself, you are buying them from other people (or, e.g., institutions). People buy shares, in part, with the hope of being able to sell them to someone else at a higher price some day.

That's what happens with exchanges, e.g. the NYSE. People who own shares are trying to sell them and others are trying to buy them. It typically isn't the company doing either, though sometimes a company is among those trying to buy its shares. There are a little less than 5 billion AAPL shares outstanding, and that number has been generally shrinking over the last few years. But on a typical day, 20 to 40 million shares of AAPL get sold from one person (or entity of some form) to another.
    Thanks for an intelligent answer.   That's exactly how I understood it.  So when a buyer such as Buffet comes along there is only so many shares for sale at any given time right?
    There are only so many shares available for sale at (or below) a given price at a given time, yes.

In theory (and in reality, for the most part), all shares are available for sale at the right price. But exchanges, for the most part (though not necessarily strictly speaking), are only matching those offering to pay the most at a given time with those offering to sell for the least at that given time (assuming those prices match or overlap).
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 23 of 32
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    MacPro said:
    MacPro said:
    Look at the trading volume. Millions of AAPL shares change hands every day. 
  • Reply 24 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    MacPro said:
    carnegie said:
    MacPro said:
    MacPro said:

Frankly, I find it very strange that you were willing to pour "several hundred thousand dollars" of your own money into something you did not understand. How did you arrive at the decision to buy AAPL in the first place?
    To answer your question, I owned several Apple dealerships and had since 1978.  In fact John Sculley came over to meet with us in UK and I was involved in the early Apple Centers in UK (a forerunner of the Apple Stores).   I was pissed when Sculley ousted Steve and when he returned I had already sold out my Apple businesses in UK and relocated with a software company to Boston.  Steve's second coming seemed like a sign to me so I threw all the spare cash I had at AAPL not long after that and have continued to do so re investing all dividends too.   For the record,   I simply had a question about the ability for anyone to buy more than was available.  It turns out how I understood it is correct, they can't albeit  it would be a rare occurrence.  Sorry if I didn't ask in a way you were able to understand me.  Frankly your questioning attitude is a little strange.  Before you ask, yes I am an American citizen now.  Started with an H1B, then a green card then Naturalized.

edited due to Lysdexia
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Frankly, just like Warren can be a great investor in tech without understanding tech, a tech person can be a great investor in tech without understanding the stock market. 

I myself made a fortune on AAPL without understanding much of how the stock 
    market worked. For instance, trading options is entirely beyond my level. I can’t get that concept straight in my head.

When I started investing in AAPL in 2007, I didn’t understand why the stock was taken down with the market even though Apple was growing like crazy and each year it shattered its own previous year’s profit record. It took me years of observimg the markets to understand how it worked. I wish I could go school to learn investing. Unfortunately, most of these schools (if not all of them) are complete scam. 
  • Reply 26 of 32
    sirozha said:
    Frankly, just like Warren can be a great investor in tech without understanding tech, a tech person can be a great investor in tech without understanding the stock market. 

market worked. For instance, trading options is entirely beyond my level. I can’t get that concept straight in my head.

When I started investing in AAPL in 2007, I didn’t understand why the stock was taken down with the market even though Apple was growing like crazy and each year it shattered its own previous year’s profit record. It took me years of observimg the markets to understand how it worked. I wish I could go school to learn investing. Unfortunately, most of these schools (if not all of them) are complete scam. 
    Well done sir.  Funny and true story, my wife followed me into AAPL a long time ago.  Her stock broker was not happy and made her sign papers stating it was against his advice.  Last time they met he admitted she had achieved growth many times over what his expertise had achieved and he wished he'd followed her .. all said in good humor , he's a nice guy.
    neil anderson
  • Reply 27 of 32
    MacPro said:
    sirozha said:

Well done sir.  Funny and true story, my wife followed me into AAPL a long time ago.  Her stock broker was not happy and made her sign papers stating it was against his advice.  Last time they met he admitted she had achieved growth many times over what his expertise had achieved and he wished he'd followed her .. all said in good humor , he's a nice guy.
    Same thing happened to me. My wife’s Retirement is also in AAPL, and every stock broker I meet with tells me that I’m crazy to have so much cash in AAPL. When we tried to hire a boutique stock brokerage company for a couple years to manage our other investments, they underperformed the market by about 14% with all of their knowledge of the stock market. We had to eventually fire them. 
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 28 of 32
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    mubaili said:
    financial mogul? This is the first time I have read such a prefix attached to the beloved Warren Buffett. Please don’t use this.
    The combined net worth of Buffett, Gates, and Bezos is more than the combined net worth of the bottom 50% of people in the U.S.  None of them has done anything that justifies to me controlling that much wealth.  I think calling Buffett a financial mogul is pretty mild, considering some other appellations which could be applied to him.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    sirozha said:
    MacPro said:
    sirozha said:

Same thing happened to me. My wife’s Retirement is also in AAPL, and every stock broker I meet with tells me that I’m crazy to have so much cash in AAPL. When we tried to hire a boutique stock brokerage company for a couple years to manage our other investments, they underperformed the market by about 14% with all of their knowledge of the stock market. We had to eventually fire them. 
     I guess we are both gambling (and I have never gambled any other way in my life)  and so far very lucky!   Fingers crossed eh?
  • Reply 30 of 32
    quinney said:
    mubaili said:
    financial mogul? This is the first time I have read such a prefix attached to the beloved Warren Buffett. Please don’t use this.
    The combined net worth of Buffett, Gates, and Bezos is more than the combined net worth of the bottom 50% of people in the U.S.  None of them has done anything that justifies to me controlling that much wealth.  I think calling Buffett a financial mogul is pretty mild, considering some other appellations which could be applied to him.
    I read somewhere we now at the level of 1% owning 99% so these three aren't alone and at least they pay their taxes unlike some in that category.  
  • Reply 31 of 32
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    MacPro said:
    MacPro said:
    carnegie said:
    MacPro said:
    MacPro said:

To answer your question, I owned several Apple dealerships and had since 1978.  In fact John Sculley came over to meet with us in UK and I was involved in the early Apple Centers in UK (a forerunner of the Apple Stores).   I was pissed when Sculley ousted Steve and when he returned I had already sold out my Apple businesses in UK and relocated with a software company to Boston.  Steve's second coming seemed like a sign to me so I threw all the spare cash I had at AAPL not long after that and have continued to do so re investing all dividends too.   For the record,   I simply had a question about the ability for anyone to buy more than was available.  It turns out how I understood it is correct, they can't albeit  it would be a rare occurrence.  Sorry if I didn't ask in a way you were able to understand me.  Frankly your questioning attitude is a little strange.  Before you ask, yes I am an American citizen now.  Started with an H1B, then a green card then Naturalized.

edited due to Lysdexia
    If nothing else, I congratulate you on your foresight and willingness to commit 100% to a stock you believed in.

Also, whether you are or are not an American citizen is immaterial to this discussion.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 32 of 32
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    So this is what ‘doomed’ looks like.