Apple sold about 600,000 HomePods in the first quarter

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    DAalseth said:
    I would not be surprised. Every review I've read says it sounds great but Siri is dumb as a post. I hope this lights a fire under Apple to overhaul and update Siri. It's embarrassing to see what other systems can do that Siri can't. Thast's not even mentioning the system Google previewed last week. THAT is what Siri should be capable of.
    Apple already sells plenty of devices with Siri. I think that they're doing exactly what they planned to do. Eventually they will have a better Siri, and you will need new hardware.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 48
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Apple customers are not price sensitive, so I’m not buying the argument that HomePod is too expensive. It might be too limited functionally to generate a high sales volume. 

Tiven that there has been much written about its shortcoming, the 600,000 doesn’t seem at odds with common sense. 
    axcoatl
  • Reply 23 of 48
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Uh.... this is like comparing iPads to “tablets” that range from $50 to $300. So, six percent market share in a partial quarter, with a much higher selling price than, say, the echo dot. Not bad, and actually a fairly typical start for Apple in a given market. 
    It's more like comparing iPads to Leapfrog learning toys. They're not the same market.
    Apple (to me) obviously build a kick-a** bluetooth speaker NOT a home device that was meant to sit in the corner of the kitchen next to a coffee pot. This should become more apparent if Apple releases a smaller version, you'll see people pulling them out at parties or carrying them at the bus stop etc.
         The comparison to Google and Amazon makes for "hotter" articles(clickbait) because tech trolls don't really care about Sony, JBL and Sonos. That's why we see these comparisons.

%6 is actually pretty good considering price and partial quarter. I'd like to see what percentage of the bluetooth speaker market they've captured, a VERY mature market.
    h2paxcoatlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 48
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    It's an interesting scenario we're seeing unfold here: On one hand we have analysts and media who are eager to report on everything Apple, on the other hand we have a new entrant into a fringe market. The combined sales of all smart-speakers is relatively small in comparison to other home appliances.

A few simple take aways
    • It's basically impossible to know if HomePod is a success or will be a success - it's far too early and Apple have not shown their cards on what they want this device to do in the long term - since it's clearly designed to be more than a speaker and Apple already has a whole range of speakers under Beats.
    • Siri is clearly not at maturity. This is software, software changes quickly. It's clear that Siri is receiving more attention at apple.
    • This is a device that opens a market, not the end point of a market. This is how the device is different from Amazon's and Google's offerings which are clearly designed for a specific use case.
    h2pclaire1axcoatlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 48
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    larryjw said:
    Apple customers are not price sensitive, ... etc
    What a stupid generalization. I am an Apple customer and definitely price sensitive.
    h2p
  • Reply 26 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    larryjw said:
    Apple customers are not price sensitive
    lol
  • Reply 27 of 48
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    It's very fair to compare the HomePod to the Google Home Max and the Sonos One, but it's ridiculous to compare it to any current Amazon-made speaker, as they sound awful. Why not compare HomePod to the Megaboom, or any other decent BT speaker? Why not compare CarPlay to every available manufacturer-provided in-car infotainment system? Why not compare a MacBook Pro to a Chromebook, since they look the same and on some level do the same things?

Do you get it yet?
    h2pclaire1axcoatlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 48

Oh, and their displays ought to have more than one song available.
    All the songs should have cuss words. Seriously though, I figured Apple's attention to detail would lead to listening booths where people could cue up tunes of their choosing.
    "Listening booths" on the store floor would be incredibly dorky. Nope. The demo unit is good enough to get a taste, but more than that is kinda unnecessary since your own space will be different. If on the fence just get one, try it out, and if need be bring it back. Much better plan than installing "listening booths".
    I thought about the incredible dorkiness, but, while I’m incredibly dorky, I figured Apple could pull off its typical miracle. Personally, I never return any product unless it just doesn’t work. If I don’t like something, I just deal with it. 
  • Reply 29 of 48
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 495member
    HomePod has a tremendous amount of potential as an Apple ecosystem and precision audio device. It really is a breakthrough product and price achievement. One can only hope that it matures and sells well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 48
    frogbatfrogbat Posts: 69member
    Think that unless you have a very smart enabled home, these personal assistants aren't my cup of tea. They should be home assistants, for personal I prefer using my phone. I have the basic google device and all it's really used for is telling the time and playing music off my girlfriend's Spotify (granted a feature that apple should allow).

The homepod feel is more geared to people like me who are heavily entrenched in apple's eco system. I would have liked to use the homepod as a sounder replacement but its lack of connectivity put me off. However, just got an Apple TV which I love so the homepod would be at the top of my list of of home speakers - tho stereo would be a bit prohibitive. 

I need to buy a new tv and will wait to see how bad that tv's audio is before investing but yeah think I'd have preferred apple produce a proper tv-centric solution...
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 48
    I take anything from analysts with a pinch of salt. As recently proven with the iPhone X is dead etc etc, they we all proven wrong with the recent financials.

I bought my HomePod when it was released and use it daily. I bought it for playing music which is what it was sold as and it doesn't disappoint.
    I love the sound from it. Being a bass player I listen to a lot of bass players albums. Take a listen to Marcus Miller albums on the home pod and they sounds amazing.
    I also have the Sonos one which is only used in the bedroom. I personally find it very limiting in the fact I have to use the app. I love using airplay and the HomePod ticks the box with that too.

I thought the sound from the Sonos was great until I compared it to the HomePod, now I find it very tinny and at loud volume it can be very harsh. The HomePod seems to handle music extremely well. The bass isn't at all muddy and the highs don't get harsh at loud volume. As a bass player I have used many bass amps and speakers over the years and ended up spending a lot of money on high end equipment as I wanted bass not just to be heard but felt as it should be but it to be clear, I also wanted the highs to cut through without piercing your eardrums. The HomePod for me is the version of this.

Friends have commented on how good it sounds. As far as Siri goes I found it works very well with home kit devices. I am now comfortable with choosing music on it and found I tend to use artist essential playlists more and more now which I didn't really do before.

Overall I am extremely happy with it and plan to get more as it evolves. If it evolves anything like the watch then I look forward to it's future.
    As with anything tech it depends on what you have and use. If you are not in the Apple ecosystem then it probably doesn't make much sense to buy one. If you are it's a great addition.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 48
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    claire1 said:
    Not sure why HomePod is constantly being compared to Echo when this is a bluetooth speaker competitor like Beats Pill and those popular JBLs.
    Exactly! It is apples and oranges comparing the HomePod to the Amazon Echo. One is a Siri enabled speaker. The other is a microphone for an online marketplace.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 33 of 48
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    You know what would be nice? Apple Stores not playing music so that you can actually hear the HomePod they have on display. I mean… Oh, and their displays ought to have more than one song available.
    Must be your store....The one I go to you can walk up to it and tell Siri to play any song. You can even connect your iPhone to it. There's 2 in the store and its not really an issue hearing it. You can clearly hear how well it sounds and actually even with the surrounding noise of other people and the music playing Siri STILL worked really well as far as knowing when to listen and respond. I would say mine is kind of a smaller store too and is always crowded nowadays. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 48
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I think we need to give HomePod time to mature a little in the space. It always seems to take a little while for new Apple products to catch on and sell really really well. Its not perfect I think everyone (including Apple) knows that and it will get better in time. But, they got it out the door, it works, it sounds great and they can take the feedback they got and make it better. One of the things I think most don't see is Apple seemed to focus a lot on making sure the hardware was rock solid and the speaker(s) sounded great. Those are things you cannot fix after it ships, or at least its much harder. Apple can keep improving Siri, and the OS running on HomePod, but its quite hard to fix hardware after its shipped. 
    edited May 2018 MisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 48
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    claire1 said:
    Not sure why HomePod is constantly being compared to Echo when this is a bluetooth speaker competitor like Beats Pill and those popular JBLs.
    It's obvious that Amazon's intent with the Echo is not to make a profit, rather Amazon wants a device (no matter how cheaply made) to drive more Amazon online sales.  I don't see it.  
    Echo may drive some orders of this and that, but it's more important to Amazon to drive Prime and Prime "Unlimited" Music subscriptions.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    And it's competitors are doing so well, why on Thursday Sonos revealed plans to cut 96 employees (6%) from its workforce in a bid to boost profitability...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 48
    claire1 said:
    Because tech blogs are obsessed with claiming that the HomePod's price is too high and that Apple can't compete with Amazon/Google virtual assistants. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Obviously, no one knows the sales figures. It would be nice if you would at least mention who has made this particular guess.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Eric_in_CTEric_in_CT Posts: 105member

In related news, the Kia Rio continues to dominate the Ferrari 458 Italia.

/s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 48
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,007member
    If the numbers are based on anything real, I’m not certain there’s much to get worked up about. Market share is never a primary goal for Apple anyway. Android phones constantly dominate iPhones for market share, mostly through the sale of cheap devices on small margins. HomePods are probably headed for a similar scenario.

I use mine daily and it sounds great. I also accidentally knocked it over once and it is indeed built like a tank. After the initial worry about it possibly being damaged, It checked out just fine. Then I had to take another look just to make sure it didn’t break the floor.
    geekmeewatto_cobra