Starbucks app ahead of Apple Pay in U.S. mobile payment user adoption

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    tmiwtmiw Posts: 8member
    crabby said:

patchythepirate is exactly right. Maybe if Apple spent less time roping in yet another bank, but rather just bouht, say , a million POS devices  for the small biz folks out there. Apple Pay works just about perfect- but the number of places for its use does not seem bigger than a year  ago.
    Here's the thing: most businesses actually hate cards and would much rather you use anything else; even cash is preferable over them for some. The only reason why many accept cards at all is because of decades of marketing/"bribes" (in the form of rewards) have conditioned customers to use them.

Because of this, they aren't going to do more than absolutely necessary. Not having NFC support isn't currently costing many of them money (it's not required as part of the EMV liability shift, for example, not to mention the current level of customer demand), so it's not a high priority. On top of that, many have custom software running on their POS systems and terminals, which means that NFC support potentially requires custom software development to enable.

(For comparison, many other countries use standalone terminals with software controlled by the banks. That's why NFC rolled out much more quickly compared to the US.)

Anyway, I don't think this is an Apple problem to solve but rather the networks. Mandating NFC support be enabled (like they already do for Europe) would help, as well as offering incentives in the form of reduced interchange for NFC transactions. Additionally, custom software on terminals should be discouraged, but I'm not sure how that can be accomplished.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 62 of 68
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    Soli said:
    tjwolf said:
    JFC_PA said:
    mike1 said:
    In order to partake in the Rewards program, you must use their card/app. As others stated, I do use Apple Pay to reload my Starbucks card.
    Scan your rewards card then pay with ApplePay would work much like scanning the card and paying with cash does now. 
    One of the purposes of ApplePay is to replace the card(s) in your pocket.  I don't want to carry my rewards card with me.  Some grocery stores have reward cards that have an optical (OCR?) code, so I was able to just take a picture of it and simply use that pic going forward.  If I remember right, the Starbucks rewards card uses a magnetic stripe, so this approach wouldn't work.

Whatever happened to being able to add reward cards to the Apple Wallet?  I have my Starbucks Card in my Apple Wallet, of course, but I'm not aware I could just have a rewards membership card there as well?
    They have a card with a magnetic strip, as well as one that automatically got to Wallet if you allow it via their iOS app, which you can also allow to go to your Watch. It will list a bar code and your physical card number, both of which you can use for making a payment on both devices.
    Like I already said, I *do* have the Starbucks card in my Apple Wallet - but that's to actually *pay* with it.  I asked whether there's a *rewards* card that can be added to the wallet, so I can go to the Starbucks counter and pay directly with Apple Pay and present this electronic rewards card to get credit towards my free items?  I don't see that.  The benefit to me is basically that I don't have to remember to reload my Starbucks card (which I've been doing using ApplePay).
  • Reply 63 of 68
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    JFC_PA said:
    mike1 said:
    In order to partake in the Rewards program, you must use their card/app. As others stated, I do use Apple Pay to reload my Starbucks card.
    Scan your rewards card then pay with ApplePay would work much like scanning the card and paying with cash does now. 

First, the couple of Starbucks near me do not even have the NFC reader out front. So if you are playing with a credit card , or nfc you have to hand them it.

Second you then need to do multiple things. Bring the Starbucks app up (or wallet) scan it. Then double click the phone side button to bring up apple pay, select the card you want to use if its not the default. Hand the phone over the cashier (hope iPhone X screen does not turn off) hope the cashier does not accidentally click the huge side button on iPhone X. Have them tap it the the NFC read, then hope it goes through.  

This payment stuff is supposed to be easier and it is at starbucks when I just use the app and scan my starbucks card that I refill every few weeks using apple pay.
  • Reply 64 of 68
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    tjwolf said:
    Like I already said, I *do* have the Starbucks card in my Apple Wallet - but that's to actually *pay* with it.  I asked whether there's a *rewards* card that can be added to the wallet, so I can go to the Starbucks counter and pay directly with Apple Pay and present this electronic rewards card to get credit towards my free items?  I don't see that.  The benefit to me is basically that I don't have to remember to reload my Starbucks card (which I've been doing using ApplePay).
    Nope:
    "Will I earn Stars if I pay with cash, credit or debit card instead of my registered Starbucks Card or Starbucks® app?
    No. To earn Stars on your purchases, you must pay with your registered Starbucks®, Teavana® or Evolution Fresh Card. You can also earn Stars from purchases made using the Starbucks app for iPhone® and Android. "
    tjwolf
  • Reply 65 of 68
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tjwolf said:
    Soli said:
    tjwolf said:
    JFC_PA said:
    mike1 said:
    One of the purposes of ApplePay is to replace the card(s) in your pocket.  I don't want to carry my rewards card with me.  Some grocery stores have reward cards that have an optical (OCR?) code, so I was able to just take a picture of it and simply use that pic going forward.  If I remember right, the Starbucks rewards card uses a magnetic stripe, so this approach wouldn't work.

Whatever happened to being able to add reward cards to the Apple Wallet?  I have my Starbucks Card in my Apple Wallet, of course, but I'm not aware I could just have a rewards membership card there as well?
    They have a card with a magnetic strip, as well as one that automatically got to Wallet if you allow it via their iOS app, which you can also allow to go to your Watch. It will list a bar code and your physical card number, both of which you can use for making a payment on both devices.
    You say you have it in your Wallet app and then asp you can add it to your Wallet app? Are you talking about the store card and their VISA credit card? I'm only talking about their store card, not their CC.

As I stated, you can add your Starbucks card to Wallet, but keep in mind that Wallet does more than just allow to use Apple Pay (or, rather, NFC-based communication). Hopefully this year we see the ability to for NFC-based system for rewards cards so we can inch closer toward getting rid of barcode-based systems; but I doubt I'd personally use that an Starbucks since I'm either using the app to purchase ahead of time these days, or on the rare occasion when I do use the register I like that the card comes up automatically due to geo-location, which means that swiping through all my CCs, my debit card, and then store reward cards to get to Starbucks to use their store card would likely be less convenient and take longer.

Still, I'd like it to be an option, and I see no reason why geo-location can't be a part of the NFC-based communications, which is one feature I've wanted since before Apple Pay was even announced. For example, I tend to us the same card at my grocery store, and another for getting fuel. I'd love for the default card that appears to be the one I've used in that area before. Or even allow you to tie an Apple Pay/NFC card to a business or type of business. Like, all merchants that are restaurants will first show my CC that gives me the most points on food, or all Starbucks (specifically) will first show my Starbucks rewards card. Unfortunately, this seems like something Google or Samsung would allow—not Apple—as it requires fine tuning and a lot of potential settings for the user… but perhaps one day once *Pay has reached a tipping point where most users can leave all their physical cards at home.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 66 of 68
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    I'd love to see some stats for a country like the UK, where NFC terminals are ubiquitous. 
  • Reply 67 of 68
    looplessloopless Posts: 329member
    Thank god someone pointed out that out that you can use Apple Pay at any Starbucks  - every one I have been to it works perfectly. Just hold it near the keypad thingy. I don't care about rewards.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 68 of 68
    This comparison is invalid and analogous to including males in pregnancy rates. It’s a comparison of two different populations.

One population is all mobile users who can use Starbucks app on Android and Apple phones including those that don’t have NFC. 

A more meaningful comparison is Contactless payment users in US since Apple Pay and Google Pay are essentially the same NFC based payment system. There are 42 million users of Contactless payments in the smart phone population in the US. Wowza!

Secondly, many Contactless users also use the Starbucks app so are double counted. But in my case I have used Starbucks app maybe 40 times but Apple Pay over a thousand.

That being said there’s a lot to like about Starbucks app. But the main takeaway is 42 million Contactless payment users.