Google takes top spot in global smart speaker market, HomePod nowhere to be found

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Fake data!!! Some idiot companies making claims without the real data.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 46
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Apple doesn't care about market share. They make a big profit selling each one. Apple would rather do that than sell lots more for little profit.

That is what these guys forget: Apple makes lots of profit by selling fewer pieces at higher prices.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 23 of 46
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I bought a HomePod because I’m an Apple fan boy. It sounds great but I don’t have Apple Music so it’s a pretty pointless piece of kit at the moment. It just sits there not being used.

brian green
  • Reply 24 of 46
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    The HomePod is just not yet ready for prime time.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    clarker99clarker99 Posts: 230member
    saltyzip said:
    clarker99 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Buy one get two amazon echo and google mini
    Yes, it is a hardware race to the bottom. As we know, Apple will not go there. 
    And that is why Google is the champion of the people, reflected in majority market share and Apple is the champion of letting only this inside who have cash to spend to increase their stockpile.
    ‘Champion of the people’... lol. Letting google surveillance your conversations in exchange for cheap hardware. I forgot Google made no money! This cant be a serious comment. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobraclaire1
  • Reply 26 of 46
    techrulestechrules Posts: 53unconfirmed, member
    Not at all surprising. The Google Home is much easier to use than Alexa or Siri. Then it is also just a lot smarter. More than anything the smart speaker is an extension to search so doubt we will see Amazon or Apple able to be competitive.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    techrulestechrules Posts: 53unconfirmed, member
    loopless said:
    Pointless data unless you can break it down to show the "premium sound" category. Apple will never sell a $50 Homepod. So if they have 7% of the total market that WILL translate to a much higher % of against their real competition of Sonos and the high-end Google device.
    How big is the market for a premium sound smart speaker?  I wish Apple would make a smart soundbar that I could connect to my TV.
    There is a new Google Home sound bar coming out in July. Looks pretty incredible. https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/7/17321624/google-android-tv-jbl-link-bar-i-o-2018-pricing-release-date Google partners with JBL for an Android TV-powered soundbar ...
  • Reply 28 of 46
    CaffiendCaffiend Posts: 21member
    Still waiting for Sonos One to add Assistant so I can get one for my home office. I'm stuck in limbo not wanting a dumb speaker but wanting something better than my Home Mini.
    You’re not stuck. Get an Audio Chromecast (~$35), configure it to respond to your Google Home Mini and connect the Chromecast Audio to a decent office receiver connected to decent speakers. It’s cheap, not hard to set up, and if your office system is good it’ll sound better quality than any smart speaker.  I set up my office system just that way. I share a family Spotify account and I’ve reconnected to Google’s YouTube Red to see if I like that while I watch Karate Kid: The Legend Continues, I mean  “Cobra Kai.”

i still prefer having an Audio System based on Apple Music,  Airplay and Airport Express connected to a receiver and good speakers.

Apple may lose me if they get too greedy and  lazy and remove connectivity to real audio systems.

• Reply 29 of 46
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    saltyzip said:
    clarker99 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Buy one get two amazon echo and google mini
    Yes, it is a hardware race to the bottom. As we know, Apple will not go there. 
    And that is why Google is the champion of the people, reflected in majority market share and Apple is the champion of letting only this inside who have cash to spend to increase their stockpile.
    Google is the champion of the people... I have now officially heard it all. Hahaha ...wow.
    ericthehalfbeeAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Dave KapDave Kap Posts: 60member
     I thought I saw a version of the above chart with Apple in fifth place with 600,000 units sold.

edited May 2018
  • Reply 31 of 46
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    Dracarys said:
    loopless said:
    Pointless data unless you can break it down to show the "premium sound" category. Apple will never sell a $50 Homepod. So if they have 7% of the total market that WILL translate to a much higher % of against their real competition of Sonos and the high-end Google device.
    So, it's only meaningful if you move the goalposts to fit your goal? 

Like all those Android idiots who compare market share of gazillions of $50 throwaway phones to the iPhone and claim the iPhone is losing?
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 46
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    techrules said:
    Not at all surprising. The Google Home is much easier to use than Alexa or Siri. Then it is also just a lot smarter. More than anything the smart speaker is an extension to search so doubt we will see Amazon or Apple able to be competitive.

Who uses a smart speaker to search? When I want to look for something I'll use my browser. Very rarely can I get enough information in a sound bite from a speaker. Which is why I won't use one. I want to see actual documents or pics of things I'm looking for. Or comparisons (when shopping, which I admit I do a LOT of online).

I have no desire to play Jeopardy or Trivial Pursuit with a "smart" speaker.
    Alex1Nbrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 46
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    The sad thing is, Siri is supposed to be the Google killer and Apple is dragging it's feet allowing google to copy and save itself.

Siri could have single-handedly put Goog out of business....
  • Reply 34 of 46
    techrules said:

Who uses a smart speaker to search? When I want to look for something I'll use my browser. Very rarely can I get enough information in a sound bite from a speaker. Which is why I won't use one. I want to see actual documents or pics of things I'm looking for. Or comparisons (when shopping, which I admit I do a LOT of online).

I have no desire to play Jeopardy or Trivial Pursuit with a "smart" speaker.
    I use it to search quite often, e.g. for a short cocktail recipe, or when my next flight lands, or a snippet of information if I'm lying on the couch watching TV - Hey Google, when did XYZ happen, who is XYZ, what was XYZ. 

Caffiend said:
    Still waiting for Sonos One to add Assistant so I can get one for my home office. I'm stuck in limbo not wanting a dumb speaker but wanting something better than my Home Mini.
    You’re not stuck. Get an Audio Chromecast (~$35), configure it to respond to your Google Home Mini and connect the Chromecast Audio to a decent office receiver connected to decent speakers. It’s cheap, not hard to set up, and if your office system is good it’ll sound better quality than any smart speaker.  I set up my office system just that way. I share a family Spotify account and I’ve reconnected to Google’s YouTube Red to see if I like that while I watch Karate Kid: The Legend Continues, I mean  “Cobra Kai.”

i still prefer having an Audio System based on Apple Music,  Airplay and Airport Express connected to a receiver and good speakers.

Apple may lose me if they get too greedy and  lazy and remove connectivity to real audio systems.

I was on the verge of that exact set up - that's already what I have in my living room - but in my office I'm leaning towards something smaller, simpler and I don't need a lot of volume. Polk Assist comes out in June so I'll see how that sounds, otherwise if Sonos doesn't hurry up, I may end up with just a pair of powered speakers and Chromecast Audio. It does mean three appliances and lots of cables in an already overloaded socket though.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    I just don't believe google is no1 here, it's gotta be amazon on numbers sold - they practically give the things away. 
  • Reply 36 of 46
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    adm1 said:
    I just don't believe google is no1 here, it's gotta be amazon on numbers sold - they practically give the things away. 
    These are global figures and Google has a much stronger global reach than Amazon.  There are too many countries where Amazon has a very weak presence or no presence at all.   
  • Reply 37 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    clarker99 said:
    gwydion said:
    clarker99 said:
    HomePod only launched in 3 countries and had no AirPlay2 or ‘Stereo’ pairing. 6-7% market share is pretty good considering. 
    I which countries are sold Google and Amazon speakers?
    Echo’s available in over 80 countries (https://www.zdnet.com/article/amazon-expands-echo-to-more-countries/) and google home/mini is in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, United Kingdom, United States (except Puerto Rico).
    ...and sometime in the next few months Home is adding Denmark, Korea, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, and Sweden. 
  • Reply 38 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Dracarys said:
    loopless said:
    So, it's only meaningful if you move the goalposts to fit your goal? 
    You mean position the goal posts where they should be, right?  Or perhaps your a person who compares Coach bag sales volumes to the number of women’s handbags sold under the blue light specials at your local KMart, as though that would be a meaningful comparison.  If so, I’ll recommend you stay out of the investing realm, at least.  And any other realm in which analysis is required for success. 
    It is absolutely meaningful if the goal is getting your software and services in as many homes and businesses as possible to hopefully enable future growth.  If it's simply immediate cash gratification, what you did today, then your claim "it's all about the profits" is spot-on. 
  • Reply 39 of 46
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    FALSE!!!! “Google has ousted Amazon as the top manufacturer in the world”. Excuse me, they simply had ONE good quarter. That DOES NOT make them the top manufacturer in the world! They have a lot of catching up to do to sell as many devices as Amazon, the clear market leader. AI try to be more accurate in your analysis and reporting.

Further, you failed to make any comment or analysis comparing sales and profitability of the high end of this emerging market as most of the units sold by both Amazon and google are cheap, low quality products. What we are most likely to find is Apple’s HomePod being a leader in unit sales, quality and profitability with high end / more expensive offerings from the competitors. Just like in the smartphone category. Or at least Apple trending toward being the de facto leader at the high end, especially as it launches in more countries and its software is updated.

Lastly, your headline is shameful clickbat! We expect more from you.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 40 of 46
    freerange said:
    FALSE!!!! “Google has ousted Amazon as the top manufacturer in the world”. Excuse me, they simply had ONE good quarter. That DOES NOT make them the top manufacturer in the world! They have a lot of catching up to do to sell as many devices as Amazon, the clear market leader. AI try to be more accurate in your analysis and reporting.

Further, you failed to make any comment or analysis comparing sales and profitability of the high end of this emerging market as most of the units sold by both Amazon and google are cheap, low quality products. What we are most likely to find is Apple’s HomePod being a leader in unit sales, quality and profitability with high end / more expensive offerings from the competitors. Just like in the smartphone category. Or at least Apple trending toward being the de facto leader at the high end, especially as it launches in more countries and its software is updated.

Lastly, your headline is shameful clickbat! We expect more from you.
    Usually "market" refers to sales/shipments not installed base. 
    gatorguy