Apple to use OLED in all three 2019 iPhone models, report says

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2018
Apple is expected to completely transition its prized iPhone platform to OLED screens in 2019, with a report on Monday claiming the company plans to launch three handset models sporting the technology next year.

iPhone X

Citing industry sources familiar with the matter, South Korea's ETNews reports Apple recently began planning 2019's iPhone lineup and has selected OLED as its display technology of choice.

In line with previous rumors, and mirroring a product offering widely expected to debut this fall, Apple is predicted to bring three new iPhone models to market next year. Unlike this year's release, which is anticipated to include two OLED variants and a low-cost LCD model, each new iPhone will boast an OLED screen.

"Apple has decided to put OLED in all new iPhone models in 2019," an unnamed source said. "However, if there are more than three new models, an LCD model may be maintained."

The publication forecasts difficult times for Apple's existing LCD suppliers including Japan Display, whose stock fell 10 percent shortly after the report went live. Sharp, another LCD supplier, saw its share prices dip 4 percent on the news.

Apple currently relies on smartphone rival Samsung for OLED panels used in iPhone X, the company's first and only handset to incorporate the advanced display technology. That partnership will presumably deepen in 2019, the report said, adding that Samsung might require additional production facilities to accommodate Apple's iPhone strategy.

However, the Korean tech giant's A3 OLED fabrication plant has improved yield rates "considerably" and a new "A4" facility is about to come online, suggesting the company will be able to meet demand without further investment.

Apple is also looking to diversify its OLED supply chain by adding LG into the mix. The sole supplier of OLED screens for Apple Watch, LG was initially expected to be a secondary supplier for this year's slate of iPhones, but continued manufacturing issues have put that role in jeopardy.

Though the anticipated launch of Apple's 2018 iPhone lineup is still months away, media and analysts are already speculating on what the company has in store for next year. Among the more interesting predictions are rear-facing 3D sensing technology similar to the TrueDepth camera array introduced with iPhone X, new high-capacity battery technology and designs that remove the signature "notch" cutout into which TrueDepth is nestled in iPhone X.

Apple is widely expected to launch three iPhone models in 2018. Anchored by a 6.1-inch LCD variant, the lineup is rumored to include two OLED models in a 5.8-inch "iPhone X 2" and larger 6.5-inch "iPhone X Plus." Samsung reportedly kicked off production of OLED panels bound for the two top-end models this month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    This is what I love about Apple...always pushing the envelope! :)

I remember, back in the day, when the iPod was big. Every year Apple would introduce an improved model, even thought they had 85% market share in MP3 players. And then they introduced the Shuffle and obtained 85% of the flash MP3 players by the following Friday!

racerhomie3
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Here we go again, only this time the victim is Japan Display. 

Anybody with the tniest bit od production management knowledge knows that Apple placed iPhone 2019 component orders sometime before January (at the latest). If this rumor we’re anywhere near true it would have come out 4-5 months ago. 

Further, an OLED display, in the tight supply environment existing today, would drive iPhone 9’s bill of goods up about $90, and seriously hamper supply for the successor to the iPhone X and the first generation of iPhone X Plus.  

As as has become the rule of the rumor mongers, they don’t know shit about Apple’s plans, but can drive readers with this crap anyway. 

The ONLY way something like this happens is Samsung handset sales are so bad that OLED production capacity are released .to Apple, and at significantly reduced prices.   Other OLED producers won’t be ready to challenge Samsung’s industry leading capacity for another year.  Without competition the incentive for Samsung to lower prices, no matter there own handset sales problems, is virtually nonexistent. 
    SpamSandwichpatchythepiratedoozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 28
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

Anybody with the tniest bit od production management knowledge knows that Apple placed iPhone 2019 component orders sometime before January (at the latest). If this rumor we’re anywhere near true it would have come out 4-5 months ago. 

Further, an OLED display, in the tight supply environment existing today, would drive iPhone 9’s bill of goods up about $90, and seriously hamper supply for the successor to the iPhone X and the first generation of iPhone X Plus.  

As as has become the rule of the rumor mongers, they don’t know shit about Apple’s plans, but can drive readers with this crap anyway. 

The ONLY way something like this happens is Samsung handset sales are so bad that OLED production capacity are released .to Apple, and at significantly reduced prices.   Other OLED producers won’t be ready to challenge Samsung’s industry leading capacity for another year.  Without competition the incentive for Samsung to lower prices, no matter there own handset sales problems, is virtually nonexistent. 
    Well, this is a story about Apple’s 2019 lineup.  Lol
    [Deleted User]d_2SoundJudgmentSpamSandwichdoozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 28
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    So 3 models all poorly different from a marketing perspective. What could go wrong?
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Not so much a rumour as an obvious statement. OLED is seen as an upgrade over LCD and Apple will no doubt transition the entire line-up to OLED at some point, all this rumour did was throw a date at it: Sept 2019. By the time that comes around, no one will remember this rumour or care. In 2019 they'll probably repeat this exact rumour with MicroLED or whatever the next-gen screen will be.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    2020--iPhone notch is eliminated
    2021-Micro Led screens debut
    2022 or 2023 Foldable iPhones are announced, possibly with 3D screens.
    Apple's future continues to shine.

SoundJudgment
  • Reply 7 of 28

I remember, back in the day, when the iPod was big. Every year Apple would introduce an improved model, even thought they had 85% market share in MP3 players. And then they introduced the Shuffle and obtained 85% of the flash MP3 players by the following Friday!

One thing is absolutely certain. Apple will never get 85% of the global smartphone market. Maybe 8.5% if they get lucky. $1000 smartphones are a hard sell to consumers for most countries in the world. I don't see any solution Apple has for gaining smartphone market share in third-world/emerging countries.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member

One thing is absolutely certain. Apple will never get 85% of the global smartphone market. Maybe 8.5% if they get lucky. $1000 smartphones are a hard sell to consumers for most countries in the world. I don't see any solution Apple has for gaining smartphone market share in third-world/emerging countries.

Apple continues  to lower prices for older models.  The SE is only $349.   The 6S and 6S Plus could be reducer to $399 and $499 in Sept
    racerhomie3d_2netmage
  • Reply 9 of 28
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

WHICH 2019?
    The one where phones are introduced in September 2018 but not released till December or January?
    Or the one where phones are introduced in September 2019?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 28
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    "Apple is expected to completely transition its prized iPhone platform to OLED screens..."

There is a significant flaw in that statement:   Apple stopped relying on its latest and greatest a few years back and instead continue to sell older models (this past release it was the SE, 6S, and 7).   And those older models make a significant (majority?) of the sales.   This year, if they follow past practice it will be:   SE(2), 7, 8, X and.. what?  XI?

In any case, I have no burning desire to pay an extra $100 for an OLED screen.   When I compared them at the Apple store I could only see an advantage while playing videos -- which I seldom do on my phone.

Which, for me, raises a question:  Why would Apple go exclusively OLED if, for the most part, all it does is add to the cost and repair costs?   If the answer is "bragging rights", that concerns me.   Apple's bed rock is to provide solid, well made, well designed products -- NOT flashy gimmicks....
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 28
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member

Samsung did appear to have relatively poor sales on its recent flagships, and most of Samsung's other competitors can't afford this screen,certainly not in any volume. Could be that Apple is a White Knight, buying up enough capacity for Samsung to keep expanding its OLED production, and at the same time, driving down production costs.

This is that monopsony behavior in the supply chain that Apple is well known for, should it actually happen.
    edited May 2018 radarthekat
  • Reply 12 of 28
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member

I don't think Apple cares about third world countries.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    nunzy said:

What a silly, uninformed statement.

Apple bet a lot on China, to its advantage. It’s now betting in huge way on India. 
    nunzymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 28

Yeah, 85% market share isn’t likely even interesting to Apple, but growing their absolute user base among the world’s growing middle class is, and As another commenter stated, Apple is widening its price ranges to grow its installed base.  
    canukstorm
  • Reply 15 of 28

WHICH 2019?
    The one where phones are introduced in September 2018 but not released till December or January?
    Or the one where phones are introduced in September 2019?
    The year virtually always, in any article you’ll read on this site or referenced here, refers to the Sept release of the stated year.  So this is about Sept 2019. 
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 16 of 28
    "Apple is expected to completely transition its prized iPhone platform to OLED screens..."

There is a significant flaw in that statement:   Apple stopped relying on its latest and greatest a few years back and instead continue to sell older models (this past release it was the SE, 6S, and 7).   And those older models make a significant (majority?) of the sales.   This year, if they follow past practice it will be:   SE(2), 7, 8, X and.. what?  XI?

In any case, I have no burning desire to pay an extra $100 for an OLED screen.   When I compared them at the Apple store I could only see an advantage while playing videos -- which I seldom do on my phone.

Which, for me, raises a question:  Why would Apple go exclusively OLED if, for the most part, all it does is add to the cost and repair costs?   If the answer is "bragging rights", that concerns me.   Apple's bed rock is to provide solid, well made, well designed products -- NOT flashy gimmicks....
    Take that same comparison outside under bright sunlit conditions and your evaluation of OLED might improve.  
  • Reply 17 of 28
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    nunzy said:

Apple bet a lot on China, to its advantage. It’s now betting in huge way on India. 
    I think it's fair to say China is not a third world country anymore.  It is an economic super power.
    nunzy
  • Reply 18 of 28

Thinness, battery, weight, aesthetics, continuity with other devices (e.g. Apple Watch).
  • Reply 19 of 28
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    nunzy said:

China and India are developing countries. Bangladesh and Botswana are third world countries
  • Reply 20 of 28
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    nunzy said:

You haven't figured out his posting behavior yet? 
    muthuk_vanalingamnunzy