These are the speakers that work with AirPlay 2

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2018
With Tuesday's release of iOS 11.4 and tvOS 11.4, Apple has finally rolled out much anticipated support for AirPlay 2 and named a few dozen third party speaker systems that are expected support the new multi-room audio technology in the near future.

Sonos Playbase

Among the list of speakers supporting AirPlay 2 are by Bang & Olufsen, Denon, Libratone, Marantz, Naim, and Sonos. While many of them are already on the market, such as those by Sonos, all of them are listed only as "announced" pending updates.

Only the Apple HomePod supports AirPlay 2 as of Tuesday. The long-delayed streaming format's main upgrade is multi-room audio support, letting people pump sound across multiple speakers, or shift it from one room to another.

Third-party products set to gain support include: There are no dates associated with the listed products, so it isn't clear precisely when support from the vendors will arrive.

Missing are other brands Apple has teased, namely Bluesound, Bose, Bowers & Wilkins, Marshall, and Pioneer.

Apple also used Tuesday to introduce stereo pairing for HomePods, Messages in iCloud, and the relatively minor watchOS 4.3.1 update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member
    I think all of the Denon/Marantz products listed don't exist yet.  All of those are models that will come out later this year with the annual product cycle updates.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    No Bose.  That company is so lost right now
    SendMcjak
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    The Beosound Core and Beosound Essence will work as suitable replacements for an Airport Express for audio streaming. Only $750 or $1200 respectively. Cool.
    aylk
  • Reply 4 of 12
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    However, Apple own speaker HomePod is not.!
  • Reply 5 of 12
    fallenjt said:
    However, Apple own speaker HomePod is not.!
    Is not what?  HomePod supports it as of today according to the article, all others mentions are “coming soon” support.
    mknelsonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 12
    mpw_amherstmpw_amherst Posts: 563member
    Given Airport Express apparently doesn't, is there a product that does I can connect my existing amp and speakers to for Airplay 2 as I still can with Airplay 1?
    aylk
  • Reply 7 of 12
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Come on Yamaha, no support for your receivers?!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Given Airport Express apparently doesn't, is there a product that does I can connect my existing amp and speakers to for Airplay 2 as I still can with Airplay 1?
    Apple TV...
  • Reply 9 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Come on Yamaha, no support for your receivers?!
    I wish my Yamaha receiver had this tech.  It has bluetooth only, so it would have to be new equipment I assume.  With BT there is a delay and using it for Logic with my MBP and so is useless due the lag.  Work fine for iTunes where delay is not an issue.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    mpw_amherstmpw_amherst Posts: 563member
    Apple TV...
    No this is stereo amp without ethernet or HDMI but audio in/out jacks as can be wired up with a monster cable to the Express.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    You could go with something like this https://www.amazon.ca/Belkin-HDMI-3-5mm-Audio-Adapter/dp/B00IK59GIY I realize you don't WANT to do that, but you're asking what you can hook up right now. Apple may decide to come out with something AirPlay 2 compatible or a third party might, but for now I think the cheapest thing that can do it is an Apple TV. That said now that I'm making enough money that I'm stupidly looking into smart bulbs, suddenly buying a homepod or two feels more reasonable. Leaning toward the black/grey one given that sometimes Apple's whites don't stay white.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    So there is no moderately priced say to include a subwoofer! Or any other speaker for that matter. Buy an ATV and cludge together some HDMI splitter for a 3.5 audio out. Ooo that is so sexy and hi tech. What about people who have built in speakers in their home? Who wants pods everywhere. I'm getting very tired of Apple. The live in there own reality. It did not used to be this way. I can point to dozens of ways that Mac "bridged" the gap to Windoze over the years. Now as they have moved into AV products they are monopolists--think same, not different.