Supposed 'iPhone SE 2' screen protector again hints at sensor notch

Posted:
in iPhone
A questionable "leak" on Thursday claims to show a screen protector designed to fit an as-yet-unannounced next-generation iPhone SE model that, like past "leaks," includes a notch cutout some believe will accommodate Apple's TrueDepth camera array.

iPhone SE 2

Shared on Twitter by parts leaker Sonny Dickson, the screen protector is displayed side-by-side with a corresponding part made for iPhone X. At first glance, the pair appear to be nearly identical in shape, complete with TrueDepth cutout and rounded corners, though there are subtle differences worth noting.

Most apparent is the size of the supposed "iPhone SE 2" notch, which compared to the iPhone X version is substantially shallow. If the part is based on authentic schematics, it suggests Apple's small form factor handset will incorporate a slightly tweaked design that either greatly reduces TrueDepth's footprint or, more likely, shifts the loudspeaker, front-facing camera and ambient light sensor toward the top of the device.

In such a scenario, "iPhone SE 2" would indeed receive a much rumored design overhaul, but might do without Apple's cutting-edge Face ID biometric authentication technology. That is unless Apple intends to incorporate a second-generation TrueDepth sensor that is roughly half the size of the array in iPhone X.

Case maker Olixar hinted at a similar design in renders released this month, noting the notch on iPhone SE will come in at about half the height of that found on Apple's flagship smartphone.

Curiously, the screen protector shown off today lacks a cutout for Touch ID, suggesting the notch is indeed meant to accommodate TrueDepth's sensor stack. That Apple would do away with all biometric hardware simply to enlarge the SE's screen is highly unlikely. Equally unlikely, however, is the incorporation of expensive, top-tier Face ID technology in what is marketed as Apple's budget iPhone.

The initial model debuted in 2016 as an amalgamation of Apple's iPhone products. Borrowing a chassis design from the iPhone 5s, iPhone SE includes an A9 processor and camera equipment taken from the iPhone 6s series, but lacks certain key features like 3D Touch to keep costs down.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Sheesh. Not gonna happen.  BUT for that iPhone X look, screen protector manufacturers could make one with a blacked-out area shaped like a notch. Let SE owners parade that around a start a stir.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    How expensive is the Face ID hardware part, really?

If too expensive, couldn’t Apple update the typical SE internals a bit and keep it around as the budget model, and have SE 2 available at a $100 premium. Keep dreaming, it’d be a $200+ premium or smtn crazy, as usual. Got to keep those share holders happy. Surely as a species we can do better than this crappy shareholder model.
    edited June 2018 [Deleted User]bikertwinbaconstangaylk
  • Reply 3 of 12
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Everybody loves the notch.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    nunzy said:
    Not everybody. There were lots of people right here on AI, iPhone users,  that said they didn't like it.

Then there are many more Samsung users that haven't been clamouring for one in all this time and Samsung has no current phone with a notch.

I expect to see the notch contents move up into a slightly raised hump that elegantly blends into the frame.

Some Android phones have already done away with the front facing selfie camera and put a mini oled screen on the rear for composition of selfies using the rear camera(s).
    nunzy
  • Reply 5 of 12
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Read about 100 stories on this but would still be amazed if it happen, maybe the SE3 but can’t see it happening on this years ones.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    What people aren’t considering, I don’t think, and of course this is pure conjecture on my part, but if they were to stick with the design of the iPhone 5 family of devices, the display/screen is flat which adds about 3mm of usable space compared to the curved X design to cram the TrueDepth components in. They could conceivably release an iPhone SE2 with Touch ID and a slightly larger LCD display, and an iPhone XSE with OLED and more premium pricing as well as the flagship model. I personally don’t see the value in a larger X model now they once again have the sweet spot with screen size to device size. And considering the amount of X’s sold compared to the 8 plus, one has to wonder whether Apple thinks it’s worth it. I tried an 8plus for a couple of weeks while waiting on the X and it was very unwieldy. Plus I think the product portfolio in general is getting a bit silly with too much choice. Just my opinion. 
    aylk
  • Reply 7 of 12
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    It's right next to a iPhoneX tempered glass, so it must be real!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    MgwlMgwl Posts: 11member
    I understand why the SE keeps getting bashed with the ”budget” moniker, but as for myself I’d gladly pay a premium price for new internals but the same small size.
    designr
  • Reply 9 of 12
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    That's where all that unsold iPhone X hardware will end up. 😂🤣😂
  • Reply 10 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    nunzy said:
    Not after he sold out to Microsoft. *rimshot*
    Mgwl said:
    I understand why the SE keeps getting bashed with the ”budget” moniker, but as for myself I’d gladly pay a premium price for new internals but the same small size.
    Bingo. What’s wrong with selling a single product called iPhone, available in three sizes, updated every year?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    The SE is not for me as I have big hands but there is no reason there can't be a premium small size phone.

There is no valid reason today to link small screen size to budget concepts. That was fine in 2015 but not today.

Those notched SE mock ups from a couple of weeks ago looked gorgeous and ever since my iPhone 4, I haven't seen an iPhone that has appealed to me in the same way.
    edited June 2018