Bethesda's new 'Elder Scrolls: Blades' arrives on iOS this fall

Posted:
in iOS edited June 2018
Game developer Bethesda, during their packed E3 keynote this week, announced that the next installment of the massive Elder Scrolls franchise will be coming to mobile platforms including iOS later this fall.

Elder Scrolls Blades

The new title, called The Elder Scrolls: Blades, takes you into role of one of the "empire's top agents," known as the Blades. Your character in this first-person role playing game returns home to find that it has been destroyed, leading you on an adventure through dungeons and dangerous terrain.

Unlike many RPGs on mobile, Blades will not only be playable in landscape, but portrait mode as well. This should make it even easier to game on the go, especially one-handed, using virtual sticks or tapping. The game will feature melee attacks, ranged attacks, as well as spells.

Elder Scrolls Blades on Mobile

Gameplay will primarily be made up of exploring dungeons and leveling up your character and their abilities, though there will be a "town-building" component too.

This isn't the first mobile game for Bethesda. Last year they launched Fallout Shelter, which quickly rose to the upper echelons of Apple's App Store charts.

Blades will first launch on mobile before making its way to PCs, consoles, and VR headsets. It will be a free-to-play title, most likely with in-app purchases. Those eager to play can sign up to be notified at Bethesda's website and receive an in-game helmet and sword when it launches.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Let me guess... Apple TV won't be getting any love...

Really hope "mobile" doesn't include android. Android is tainting everything with their fragmented crap. Meaning, they'll have to dumb down the graphics to make porting easier instead of working with iPhone X from the ground up with little limitations.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I like the way Emilio Estevez took time out from directing to be their new CEO for the demonstration ;-)
    edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    claire1 said:
    If Apple want Apple TV to be taken seriously when it comes to gaming parhaps they should have the balls to build their own dedicated first party gaming controller. Leaving the game controller to a third party shows a lack of commitment and confidence in the platform. Or expecting that glass trackpad remote to be a gaming controller is all kinds of lol.
    edited June 2018 claire1Sgt Storms(trooper)
  • Reply 4 of 23
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    ireland said:
    claire1 said:
    If Apple want Apple TV to be taken seriously when it comes to gaming parhaps they should have the balls to build their own dedicated first party gaming controller. Leaving the game controller to a third party shows a lack of commitment and confidence in the platform. Or expecting that glass trackpad remote to be a gaming controller is all kinds of lol.
    The Steelseries Nimbus is already excellent.
    Sgt Storms(trooper)watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    ESO is a great game (one of a handful I have hardcore played, but it’s also a huge money pit and it turned me away after a while. I can’t imagine this won’t be more of the same. No matter how good it is the constant need to pump money into these games is pretty off putting. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    ireland said:
    claire1 said:
    Yeah a Nintendo invention from the 90s.

Apple could do so much better. At least embed the M series chip into the Siri remote.

Agree with first party dedicated game development.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    ireland said:
    claire1 said:
    Ah... that’s not that point. Besides, it’s not best-in-class.

Phil Schiller on keynote stage: “This year with Apple TV we’re focusing on gaming. To show you how serious we are about Apple TV gaming, we’ve went a built, from the ground-up a dedicated Apple branded gaming controller. And here it is. This is what it looks like. We reasilsed to be serious about gaming, and to show developers we are serious about gaming, we needed to build our own dedicated gaming controller. Our remote still works great as a controller for certain casual games, but we think more enthusiastic gamers are going to want one of these Apple game controllers. People who own an Apple TV and want to game on it are gonna wanna put up one of these. To demo the new controller here’s Scott from EA game to show the latest game they’ve created for this new platform”.

Then heavily promote it and it hits all the news sites. And launch their TV streaming platform. Boom, gaming... boom, TV. Apple TV, boom...
    edited June 2018 slprescottSgt Storms(trooper)claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    ireland said:
    claire1 said:
    True, and I think they may have to buy a big studio - maybe this one - and make them transition to metal.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    chrispoechrispoe Posts: 80member
    claire1 said:

Really hope "mobile" doesn't include android. Android is tainting everything with their fragmented crap. Meaning, they'll have to dumb down the graphics to make porting easier instead of working with iPhone X from the ground up with little limitations.
    It will be on Android too.
    Sgt Storms(trooper)singularity
  • Reply 10 of 23
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I haven't tried playing an RPG on my phone before, could be interesting!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Our remote still works great as a controller for certain casual games, but we think more enthusiastic gamers are going to want one of these Apple game controllers. People who own an Apple TV and want to game on it are gonna wanna put up one of these. To demo the new controller here’s Scott from EA game to show the latest game they’ve created for this new platform”.

Then heavily promote it and it hits all the news sites. And launch their TV streaming platform. Boom, gaming... boom, TV. Apple TV, boom...
    What Apple specific technology could be leveraged in a game controller that would differentiate it from the competition? A W-series chip maybe? No, because game controllers are used so close to the TV. Additional range is not needed. Anything else? No. Game controllers don't really provide Apple with an opportunity to do anything other than industrial design changes. Everything else would be the same as what competitors offered. As already shown by the ending of the Cinema Display lineup and Airport lineup, Apple isn't interested in industrial-design-only types of projects anymore. If they release hardware, it has to have some sort of unique Apple hardware technology inside that will help drive sales.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 23
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    ascii said:
    I haven't tried playing an RPG on my phone before, could be interesting!
    Try Baldurs gate (and Baldurs gate 2 while your at it)
    They are faithful repros of the full game. Although it's better to play them on a tablet but you'll get so many great hours of play from them!

Go for the eyes boo! Go for the eyes!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    claire1 said:
    they'll have to dumb down the graphics to make porting easier instead of working with iPhone X from the ground up with little limitations.
    It’s Bethesda. They will have already dumbed down the graphics. They’re literally using a 17 year old engine for their brand new desktop games. Don’t expect any quality out of this or any other product.
    claire1
  • Reply 14 of 23
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    MFI controller support please! 

Our phones are so powerful now, the 8/X being easily above the Switch at portable clocks, but physical controls are a big difference. I want more AAA mobile titles that support MFI controllers for a Switch-Lite experience. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    ireland said:
    claire1 said:
    Why is this true? If a third party exists, why must Apple build one too?

Look at printers - Apple got out of the printer market, does that mean the platform isn’t serious for desktop publishing and printing? Of course not. So why is it different for controllers and gaming?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 23
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    ireland said:
    claire1 said:

Or at least an official bundle with a third party controller, but the most important thing is starting to fund at least some indie exclusives for it. Maybe even have some small in-house game development to start off. 

It could make a nifty microconsole with the power it has. Good thing the wand controller requirement was lifted. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    ireland said:
    claire1 said:

Look at printers - Apple got out of the printer market, does that mean the platform isn’t serious for desktop publishing and printing? Of course not. So why is it different for controllers and gaming?
    Seems like you answered your own question, Apple made their own printer to propel the Mac into the world of desktop publishing.  Once it was established they could disengage, but the first party commitment at the outset gave it legitimacy and power.

Do you think Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo would consider releasing a console without a first party controller?  They wouldn't be taken seriously, and that's where Apple is now.
    claire1
  • Reply 18 of 23
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    claire1 said:

Phil Schiller on keynote stage: “This year with Apple TV we’re focusing on gaming. To show you how serious we are about Apple TV gaming, we’ve went a built, from the ground-up a dedicated Apple branded gaming controller. And here it is. This is what it looks like. We reasilsed to be serious about gaming, and to show developers we are serious about gaming, we needed to build our own dedicated gaming controller. Our remote still works great as a controller for certain casual games, but we think more enthusiastic gamers are going to want one of these Apple game controllers. People who own an Apple TV and want to game on it are gonna wanna put up one of these. To demo the new controller here’s Scott from EA game to show the latest game they’ve created for this new platform”.

I’m not sure they could bring themselves to build something with that many buttons on it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Our remote still works great as a controller for certain casual games, but we think more enthusiastic gamers are going to want one of these Apple game controllers. People who own an Apple TV and want to game on it are gonna wanna put up one of these. To demo the new controller here’s Scott from EA game to show the latest game they’ve created for this new platform”.

What Apple specific technology could be leveraged in a game controller that would differentiate it from the competition? A W-series chip maybe? No, because game controllers are used so close to the TV. Additional range is not needed. Anything else? No. Game controllers don't really provide Apple with an opportunity to do anything other than industrial design changes. Everything else would be the same as what competitors offered. As already shown by the ending of the Cinema Display lineup and Airport lineup, Apple isn't interested in industrial-design-only types of projects anymore. If they release hardware, it has to have some sort of unique Apple hardware technology inside that will help drive sales.

[AI quoting sucks]

Well no, Apple doesn't have to make a crappy Xbox controller clone they can make something completely original. I believe the gaming market needs a fresh controller instead of something dating back from the 90s. I didn't even think of the W chip, it would be useful as it saves battery live over bluetooth correct? Add in the Taptic Engine, M processor and other Apple patents and you have a nice input device.

claire1 said:
    they'll have to dumb down the graphics to make porting easier instead of working with iPhone X from the ground up with little limitations.
    It’s Bethesda. They will have already dumbed down the graphics. They’re literally using a 17 year old engine for their brand new desktop games. Don’t expect any quality out of this or any other product.

Kinda how Apple TVs most graphically intense game is a 5 year old game(Real Racing 3). I think Epic even gave up on Apple. I remember Real Racing and Infinity Blade being the benchmark iPhone games in the past.

ireland said:
    ireland said:
    claire1 said:

Please remove EA! The company that won worst company in the world a few years in a row.

Nintendo would be mind blowing but there's some really good Indies out there and Capcom was for sale once. Imagine new Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Marvel VS. Capcom games on launch?

crowley said:
    ireland said:
    claire1 said:

Seems like you answered your own question, Apple made their own printer to propel the Mac into the world of desktop publishing.  Once it was established they could disengage, but the first party commitment at the outset gave it legitimacy and power.

Do you think Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo would consider releasing a console without a first party controller?  They wouldn't be taken seriously, and that's where Apple is now.
    An analogy I used to use for Apple TV was: Imagine Sony launching the Playstation 4 and saying "Well guys enjoy games from last gen on this new console(Real Racing, Beach Buggy Racing), the real PS4 games will be coming next year!..... About 3 of them! (Sky, Where Cards Fall, Inside)

Apple fans seem to use the excuse of "just wait, the good games are coming", even if it means waiting a whole year for a few games.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 23
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    ireland said:
    claire1 said:

If you are going to make a gaming device, don't you think it should include a controller?