Apple recruits senior Waymo engineer & NASA veteran for self-driving car project

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    entropys said:
    I am with Soli and Lkrupp. Look at the infotainment systems in hold out Toyota. CarPlay is a superior UI for an infotainment system and always will be as it is too easy to keep up to date.
    The resistance of car makers is built on how best to monetise the software. Entertainment systems were used for years to upsell to higher spec models. CarPlay has ruined that business model.
    Autonomous systems will be the same montisation upsell if the automakers could “engineer” that outcome. An Apple system though would work the same no matter what spec.

And that is a minor thing before you get to the regulatory, legal and liability issues to be resolved. 

That is why the automakers have started to implement the whole cars electronics into the entertainment system. Climate control, suspension and transmission and steering controls are all starting to be routed through the entertainment system. 

• Reply 22 of 29
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    nunzy said:
    AppleCar will be the safest car, because Apple will build security in from the ground up. They might not allow you to use any other mapping app, for example, because you might get misdirected that way.

Why would you use a mapping app in a self driving car?
    nunzy
  • Reply 23 of 29
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:
    Does anyone still think that Apple isn’t actively working on this with this news?
    I think they are working on the software for it, not necessarily the car itself. In my own opinion they should be looking to partner with Tesla, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, or other premium automobile manufacturer to provide the hardware, perhaps even with the Apple logo on it. I can’t imagine myself being able to afford a vehicle like that though. My max price range would be <50K at my stage in life. 
    I like that idea and have floated it many times over the years and I got a lot of pushback at first because Apple has a long history of controlling the whole product. Even if we accept that Apple is willing to effectively be like "Intel Inside" or "Windows Everywhere" in the future of automobiles (which I'd like in terms of trust and security over countless other companies), there are some major logistical issues for that happen.

For starters, why would any of those companies pay Apple when they already have their solutions in place and in R&D? I'd think Apple would have to be so far ahead of these automotive makers and the cost for them be so high that they'd be willing willing to scrap their own projects to integrate with Apple's solution. But even then how would HW support be handled? Apple silicon could be a requirement, but what about all the sensors used by the automotive maker which are sourced from vendors? If anyone can figure that out I think Apple under Cook can, but I still can't see a clear path regardless of the scenario I imagine.

PS: Tesla still doesn't offer CarPlay so I'm not expecting them to jump into Apple's lap with autonomous driving.
    I agree, Tesla will be the least possible ‘partner’ for Apple. Unless of course if Tesla goes bankrupt.
    In general mergers (of R&D) of companies won’t work and result in the destruction of one of the participants.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 24 of 29
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I don’t remember where I got the idea, but it seems that Apple absolutely has to concentrate on autonomous vehicles because they are the best real-world application of augmented reality, and that, AR, is exactly the future of personal computing. Or what we used to call personal computing.

Maybe it’s time to rename the industry. It’s really all about robotics from now on. The key is the addition of 3D sensing, actually 4D, since movement in real time is of the essence. Apple has been pushing ahead well on depth sensing and object recognition, at least in the near space.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    nunzy said:
    AppleCar will be the safest car, because Apple will build security in from the ground up. They might not allow you to use any other mapping app, for example, because you might get misdirected that way.

Yet iOS 12 brings 3rd party maps to CarPlay, so...

SuttaDost said:
    I think BMW will file for bankruptcy in < 3 years.
    Apple could buy BMW for cash. They are only worth 50 billion. That's nothing compared to Apple. Apple has enough cash to transform the auto industry just like the music industry. Those guys had better watch out for Apple or else they will get bought up and transformed.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    knowitall said:
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:
    Does anyone still think that Apple isn’t actively working on this with this news?
    I think they are working on the software for it, not necessarily the car itself. In my own opinion they should be looking to partner with Tesla, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, or other premium automobile manufacturer to provide the hardware, perhaps even with the Apple logo on it. I can’t imagine myself being able to afford a vehicle like that though. My max price range would be <50K at my stage in life. 
    I like that idea and have floated it many times over the years and I got a lot of pushback at first because Apple has a long history of controlling the whole product. Even if we accept that Apple is willing to effectively be like "Intel Inside" or "Windows Everywhere" in the future of automobiles (which I'd like in terms of trust and security over countless other companies), there are some major logistical issues for that happen.

For starters, why would any of those companies pay Apple when they already have their solutions in place and in R&D? I'd think Apple would have to be so far ahead of these automotive makers and the cost for them be so high that they'd be willing willing to scrap their own projects to integrate with Apple's solution. But even then how would HW support be handled? Apple silicon could be a requirement, but what about all the sensors used by the automotive maker which are sourced from vendors? If anyone can figure that out I think Apple under Cook can, but I still can't see a clear path regardless of the scenario I imagine.

PS: Tesla still doesn't offer CarPlay so I'm not expecting them to jump into Apple's lap with autonomous driving.
    I agree, Tesla will be the least possible ‘partner’ for Apple. Unless of course if Tesla goes bankrupt.
    In general mergers (of R&D) of companies won’t work and result in the destruction of one of the participants.
    Apple could buy Tesla for cash on the barrel head.

Tesla is only worth 58 Billion dollars.  Apple could buy both Tesla and BMW for cash and still have not depleted even half of what they have stashed.

You have to think about the leverage involved in these transactions before speculating. Apple can make an offer that cannot be refused.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    nunzy said:
    knowitall said:
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:

Apple could buy Tesla for cash on the barrel head.

Tesla is only worth 58 Billion dollars.  Apple could buy both Tesla and BMW for cash and still have not depleted even half of what they have stashed.

You have to think about the leverage involved in these transactions before speculating. Apple can make an offer that cannot be refused.
    If Tesla goes bankrupt (and it’s looking more and more like that’s a possibility), then perhaps Apple could pick up the battery plants for a song, but the cars are nothing to get excited over. Honestly, Musk should’ve probably contracted out the car manufacturing to another company with manufacturing facilities in place. The cost of labor and the factories is killing them, combined with the inability to meet deadlines. And strange thing happening on Twitter: Musk is making wildly irrational statements. He may be drunk or high (or maybe just sleep deprived) but weird things are afoot there.
    nunzy
  • Reply 28 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Soli said:
    The question is, what's the definition of 'this'?
  • Reply 29 of 29
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    Soli said:
    When it comes to absorbing talent, resources and money, this project seems on target
    edited June 2018