Adobe takes on iMovie with Project Rush, a powerful cross-device video editing app for cre...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    DAalseth said:
    I know Devs have to eat. A smaller set of Professionals may feel like Adobe products are worth it. But for me, and amateurs who like to dabble in editing , its better to get iMovie on iOS & macOS.
    Plus Adobe products are not optimized for Macs like Apple made products.
    I used iMovie for a long time and it just started to feel cramped. There were things I wanted to do that I couldn't because it was limited. I've just started using LumaFusion a couple of months ago. It's got a steeper learning curve, but already I'm liking what I see. 
    We went for LumaFusion too but definitely under duress.  It’s a sloppy port, non-standard export/share-sheet, scrolling/navigating lists is awkward and often results on an inadvertent selection.  We tried Pinnacle but it’s no better.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    DAalseth said:
     If my copy of some specialty app that I use is out of date, I'm fine with that as long as it does what I need. 
    Just yesterday my lawyer for my business interests in Asia sent me an Excel file and along with it came an XLS virus attachment. Fortunately Mail detected it, tagged it and sent to the Junk Folder. He probably has an old copy of Office, or, being in a foreign country it could even be some bootleg version. Had he used Office 365 it never would have happened. His computer hasn't been infected for that long though because I regularly receive these type of files from him but I wonder how many people he has infected who's mail client didn't detect it. His mail client clearly didn't.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    DAalseth said:
    The last thing I need is $X/month for Office 365 eating into the already meager income I get from my books. 
    Yikes! You are on a tight budget. I think Office 365 Home Premium is only $99 per year.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Rayz2016 said:
    DAalseth said:
    All Adobe's software requires awful monthly subscriptions....after a year or two you would be better off buying Final cut pro.
    Except Final Cut is not available on a mobile device, which for this product, is one of its selling points. 

Something always costs something. Boo hoo, hoo, another cheapo techie boy who wants everything for nothing but swears he'd pay X "if it was reasonable." Which means, you want it for free. 

Don't like it, don't get it. And don't bib-dribble about it. 
    I don't rent software. I do pay for software. I bought LumaFusion for video editing, Graphic for vector graphics (on both the iPad and my Mac), Procreate for drawing and painting, various writing tools and other apps. So no you are incorrect I don't want something for free. I am more than willing to pay for the developers hard work. I however will not pay protection money every month forever for the same app. I will not let the developer hold my documents hostage if I miss a payment and the app subscription shuts down, I will not have my work at risk if a developer folds, is bought out, or otherwise stops supporting the app. I do pay for software. I don't rent software.

What a lot of developers do is charge the subscription, but if you decide you don't want to pay anymore you are allowed to keep the last version you downloaded, but you don't get any upgrades.  

Jetbrains does that with there IDE suite, which worked out very well for me: I was upgrading once a year anyway, and now I get five IDEs for the same price I was paying for one.

And before signing on with a subscription app, check the export functionality; and I do mean check it. Run it, make sure it works and you can get the data out into another app.

Pity Adobe doesn't do that. If they did, I'd get the entire suite at the cheapest price - a month's subscription price!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 29
    volcan said:
    I'm a big Adobe fan plus CC is a must have for professional graphic design. For all those who say they don't like the subscription model, you probably don't need the software. Many professional applications already use the subscription model and in the case of Adobe CC it actually costs less than it did before when we updated every 18 months. Subscription software is clearly better in my opinion for several reasons like regular updates, quick security patches, cloud storage and for businesses you can automatically disconnect an ex-employee's access. Also if your agency scales up or down you only pay for the number of subscriptions you need at any particular time.

It is predicted that by 2020, 80% of all software will be subscription rather than traditional license, so you might as well get used to it.

I agree with you. I used to use Photoshop for non-commercial stuff. Once they moved to a subscription model, I stopped using it because it was too expensive for me and I moved to Pixelmator instead.

I use Office on a regular basis and have a couple of family members also who need it, so an Office 365 Subscription was a no-brainer to me.

It all boils down to the cost-benefit ratio, as always.

The reason why Adobe gets so much grief is because a lot of people like me used to use it regularly. We are the kind of people who would have bought Photoshop if it was just a one-time purchase. But we cannot justify paying a subscription for it.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 29
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    It depends entirely on the cost of the subscription.

Take Office 365 for example. Here in New Zealand it's roughly $20.70(NZ)/mth for the Business Premium edition. That works out to $248.40/yr and for that I get every Office product available aside from Project and Visio. So this is the most expensive option for me at the moment and hence the reason why I'm using this example.

Now if I go back to pre-365 days then I would have had to fork out ~$1400(NZ) for the same software and only get the Windows or Mac versions whereas with Office 365 I'm getting both as well as iOS.

If I divide that $1400 by the annual cost of Office 365 then I'm getting Office 365 for almost 6 years so any new version of that I'm getting for free whereas the one time cost I'd have to fork out another $1400 when the new version lands.

I don't have a problem with subscription services at all but I do have a problem with Adobe's pricing tiers though. For example the only product I'd probably ever use it Adobe Acrobat Pro. That's a cost of $24.64(NZ)/mth or $4/mth more for one single application. There's no way that Acrobat Pro does more than Office 365 so why does it cost more for less? If Adobe charged say $10/mth then maybe but not what they're asking for now.

The other problem I have with subscription pricing is the apps that offer "Pro" features which are really nothing more than features that should have been included in the app in the first place. The amount of health apps that ask for a monthly subscription simply so that you can read and write to Health app is stupid and one that would see me overlook them straight away. Many of these apps I don't even see any real feature benefit over the free version so what's the point of a subscription model? Just give me a paid outright option.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Rayz2016 said:
    DAalseth said:
    All Adobe's software requires awful monthly subscriptions....after a year or two you would be better off buying Final cut pro.
    Except Final Cut is not available on a mobile device, which for this product, is one of its selling points. 

Something always costs something. Boo hoo, hoo, another cheapo techie boy who wants everything for nothing but swears he'd pay X "if it was reasonable." Which means, you want it for free. 

I don't rent software. I do pay for software. I bought LumaFusion for video editing, Graphic for vector graphics (on both the iPad and my Mac), Procreate for drawing and painting, various writing tools and other apps. So no you are incorrect I don't want something for free. I am more than willing to pay for the developers hard work. I however will not pay protection money every month forever for the same app. I will not let the developer hold my documents hostage if I miss a payment and the app subscription shuts down, I will not have my work at risk if a developer folds, is bought out, or otherwise stops supporting the app. I do pay for software. I don't rent software.

What a lot of developers do is charge the subscription, but if you decide you don't want to pay anymore you are allowed to keep the last version you downloaded, but you don't get any upgrades.  

Jetbrains does that with there IDE suite, which worked out very well for me: I was upgrading once a year anyway, and now I get five IDEs for the same price I was paying for one.

And before signing on with a subscription app, check the export functionality; and I do mean check it. Run it, make sure it works and you can get the data out into another app.

Pity Adobe doesn't do that. If they did, I'd get the entire suite at the cheapest price - a month's subscription price!!
    Well, that’s precisely why Adobe doesn’t do that. And what a lot of Adobe customersclaim to  do is sign up for a period of time while they need the apps, and then let it lapse until they need it again. Personally, I think if that works for you then I’m not sure you really need the Adobe suite that much. 

Oh, and JetBrains offer a discount for taking a year subscription, which works out much cheaper than the month. You also get a discount if you keep the subscription running, which you lose if you let it lapse. That’s what stops folk from stop/starting the sub. 

• Reply 28 of 29
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member

You’re being an embarrassing ass! Adobe’s business model sucks. Period. They are extortionists. Fortunately we do have very competent competitive products available to use that provide much better value than adobe’s overpriced bloatware.