MWSF... wow.

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    The Keynote was great! very happy with Safari, Love it and using all the time now. Yet to see any major problems with it!

Fantastic Job Steve!
  • Reply 42 of 58
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Trying to get to this second page was impossible when clicking the "2" in the thread title when using Safari. Anyone have an explanation? (I'm typing this while on IE). Thanks.
  • Reply 43 of 58
    Not many people have hit on this, but theres X11 for OS X. After futzing for 3 days to get XDarwin working right, i can bet Apple's gonna do a kick arse job with this one. With Safari open souce, and X11 for OS X Apple's starting to respect OS X's roots!

I have two gripes that keep me away from Safari. The bookmark bar doesn't expand into two rows when there are too many bookmarks to fit on the bar, like Chimera. The second is no tabs, but thats what feedbacks for.

Also how do I import my Chimera bookmarks!!!
  • Reply 43 of 58
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    No idea. I just did it twice.
  • Reply 45 of 58
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 46 of 58
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by AirSluf:

<strong>

Worked fine for me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Worked fine for me too.
  • Reply 47 of 58
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    IE is great! As an intermediate for getting my Chimera bookmarks into Safari!
  • Reply 48 of 58
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Well, it finally worked. Perhaps I was trying when the board was too busy. Computers!
  • Reply 49 of 58
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    No, I don't think it was you. I go to some Bimmer boards and I've run into this problem while trying to look at multi page threads. If I click '3' I still go to the first page.

Overall, Safari is great. And I love the implicaitons!
  • Reply 50 of 58
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    When did Steve Promise a new surprise every 90 day??????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

And also I would like to add:

THIS WAS THE BEST MACWORLD IN A LONG TIME!!!!! GREAT JOB STEVE!!!!!... just keep it up with the PowerMacs.

P.S. Safari rocks big time! I just trashed IE and Omniweb!
  • Reply 51 of 58
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Indeed. Basically, I'm very satisfied with the announcements. I was afraid the iApps would become pay software, they didn't. I paid $20 for iDVD 2. iDVD 3 looks to be a quantum leap.

The only thing I'm distressed about from Apple is the lack of 802.11g for older Macs. Apparently the AirPort slot *is* a 16-bit PCMCIA slot. It has the theoretical bandwidth to handle 54 Mbps, but not in the real world it seems. Basically, we're going to have to buy PCI, ethernet, or FireWire(?) adapters for 802.11g support on older machines.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    FYI, Jobs made the "surprise every 90 days" credo was made some time back around '97 or '98 when Apple desperately needed 1. press coverage, 2. good press coverage. I don't think they're planning on holding to that timeline too strictly.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>FYI, Jobs made the "surprise every 90 days" credo was made some time back around '97 or '98 when Apple desperately needed 1. press coverage, 2. good press coverage. I don't think they're planning on holding to that timeline too strictly. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I think that you are right, for the next 2-3 months they need a "suprise" every 30 days or less. While agree with another poster that this was one of the better MacWorlds, at least since the intro of the G4, I do see some serious problems with it. First, they upgraded one of the products that least needed upgrading. The PB's just recieved an incralmental upgrade (and is one of their most competative products), and the iMac has been 12 months since introduction without a "speed" boost (and is becoming less competative every day).

Clearly apple could boost its speed up to 1.2 Ghz today, both PowerLogix and Sonnet will be shipping upgrade cards with these chips, so Apple could get them in quantity if they wanted to. Could this be pointing to something BIG in the near future, or more disapointment. Maybe Apple does have some new chips that arnt "quite" ready, and they dont want to steal thier thinder by releasing them with all the software tha they released today, or maybe they will do a "silent" upgrade later this month, 6 months late based on the competition.

The PowerMac is in even more "dire" straits, but at least their is some hope for light at the end of the tunnel, in 2-6 months, with the 970. We will see what comes at the next WWDC and Seybold.

Displays...COME ON APPLE...the prices are way out of wack with the market, and only make the price of the PM look more rediculous when "bundle" deals are quoted. $799 for a 17" LCD is rediculous when low end models are under $500, at least cut the price by $200. The 22"-23" models are redundant, a real "mid-range" model needs to be released at less than $1000, keep the 22 or 23" but only one of them.

Good software anouncemnts, though this might bruise some egos at Adobe and Microsoft.

FW2...points to some new anouncements soon in other lines. And one of Apples oldest non-updated products, Airport, got a good upgrade. It would have been nice to see a slight price drop with it, or at least a bundle anounced with, say the Epson C82 WiFi enabled printer, to spur more interest. Apple has under utalized this product from the start. Hopefully they will start plugging it, especially with the anouncements from TiVo, Brother, and Aspyre.

I still think that Apple needs a REALLY BIG hardware show. It might work better at a Seybold, releasing 970 based PM's and Xserves at the same time would create some buzz, and show that Apple does have a hardware "plan" at least for the next few years, instead of having "options" like they do now (thats making investors and developers a bit antsy right about now I would bet)
  • Reply 54 of 58
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    I agree we need the 970 but as IBM states it will not go into production until march so we must wait. Todays Keynote will hold us over awhile.
  • Reply 55 of 58
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>The only thing I'm distressed about from Apple is the lack of 802.11g for older Macs. Apparently the AirPort slot *is* a 16-bit PCMCIA slot. It has the theoretical bandwidth to handle 54 Mbps, but not in the real world it seems. Basically, we're going to have to buy PCI, ethernet, or FireWire(?) adapters for 802.11g support on older machines.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, Airport Extreme cards not being backwards-compatible sucks, especially for 'book users. It would be such a shame to have to use a PC Card with an external antenna sticking out in the presence of (at least theoretically) perfectly suitable internal slot and antenna.

(And by the way, it is not a plain vanilla PCMCIA slot. Somewhere on Apple's tech docs it explicitely says that.)

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 56 of 58
    i'd guess there might be some small upgrades to hardware in the next couple days. that's what they've done recently is announce speed bumps for non-keynote-featured machines the day after the note.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    This from the guy running 8.6 on a Wallstreet 266:

Everything has come into focus.

Sure, I've given OSX and new hardware an occasional look, but nothing has really made me think "This is it."

But this morning for some reason, in the middle of Steve's keynote it kicked in. So integrated, so well designed, so useful.

With your AlBook, grab footage for the camcorder, import it via Firewire2 into iMovie, bring in the soundtrack with iTunes, put an exclamation on it with a "Ken Burns" pan with an image from iPhoto then kick it all to iDVD for the big finish.

Oh yeah, while burning it to disc, wirelessly browse the Web on Safari no problem because of OSX while updating your bluetooth phone addresses. Oh yeah, the wife is printing off her "thank you for saving my husband's sanity" letter (she's not crazy about e-mail) to Apple using her new iBook wirelessly via USB printing option on the same basestation while ripping her Mozart CDs to iTunes and organizing her crazier-than-I-could-ever-handle life on iCal.

RDF? Maybe. But after this keynote I'm ready to buy into it.
  • Reply 58 of 58
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Great post, rentedmule!

Apple should turn that into a commercial. Really!