AT&T uses Time Warner merger to launch WatchTV, paired with new unlimited data plans

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2018
Taking advantage of the recent approval of its merger with Time Warner, AT&T on Thursday announced WatchTV, a new live TV service premiering next week -- and initially tied to two new unlimited wireless data plans.

WatchTV incorporates over 30 channels, among them several under the wing of Time Warner such as CNN, Cartoon Network, TBS, and Turner Classic Movies. Sometime after launch AT&T will grow the lineup to include Comedy Central, Nicktoons, and several other channels.

People will be able to watch on "virtually every current smartphone, tablet, or Web browser," as well as "certain streaming devices." The company didn't immediately specify compatible Apple platforms, but these will presumably include at least the iPhone and iPad, given their popularity and AT&T's long-standing relationship with Apple.

The first data plan is "AT&T Unlimited &More", which will also include $15 in monthly credit towards DirecTV Now. People who pay extra for "&More Premium" will get higher-quality video, 15 gigabytes of tethered data, and the option to add one of several "premium" services at no charge -- initial examples include TV channels like HBO or Showtime, and music platforms like Pandora Premium or Amazon Music Unlimited.

&More Premium customers can also choose to apply their $15 credit towards DirecTV or U-verse TV, instead of just DirecTV Now.

WatchTV will at some point be available as a $15-per-month standalone service, but no timeline is available.

AT&T's Time Warner acquisition was worth $85 billion, and strongly opposed in some quarters including by U.S. President Donald Trump and the Department of Justice, the latter of which sued to block the merger. Critics outside the government have worried about the growing hegemony the deal represents in media and communications, since it creates an entity with control over content, distribution, and communications infrastructure.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    They’d have to pay me to watch CNN!
    airnerdClarityToSeebluefire1toysandme
  • Reply 2 of 11
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    They’d have to pay me to watch CNN!
    Oh? You mean you would have to watch it too?!
    No way!
    ☹️  😧 💩
    ✌️
    SpamSandwichClarityToSee
  • Reply 3 of 11
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    I've been using DirectTV Now w free HBO ($20/month with my ATT mobile plan) since April and quite pleased, especially since they started cloud DVR in beta. So I record Bloomberg Technology each day and fast forward through ads on my iPhone whenever I want. Last night watched 1921 Harold Lloyd silent film on large iPad recorded from TCM 3 am time slot a week ago. You get most sports channels on the simple plan. ESPN ESPN2 TNT etc. So if you're shopping around, you might compare DTV Now to ATT Watch. (Don't know if they still have the free HBO for life offer post merger.)
    h2p
  • Reply 4 of 11
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    If Apple starts buying up media companies, consumers will have even more choice. Apple could also buy a cable company to distribute this content exclusively. That way we could all choose the content that is best.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    Is their ability to charge extra for “higher-quality video” than you would be allowed to have with their standard so-called “unlimited” plan a result of the repeal of net neutrality? Companies have gone out of their way to claim that it wouldn’t hurt consumers, but it sounds like they might be already exploiting it.  
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Is their ability to charge extra for “higher-quality video” than you would be allowed to have with their standard so-called “unlimited” plan a result of the repeal of net neutrality? Companies have gone out of their way to claim that it wouldn’t hurt consumers, but it sounds like they might be already exploiting it.  
    Companies should have the freedom to price their offerings any way they want, so long as there are no regulations or laws suppressing competition. As of today, there are still too many regulations and “chummy” agreements with cities which discourages companies from taking risks and making long term investments which would broaden consumer choices.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 7 of 11
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    Folio said:
    I've been using DirectTV Now w free HBO ($20/month with my ATT mobile plan) since April and quite pleased, especially since they started cloud DVR in beta. So I record Bloomberg Technology each day and fast forward through ads on my iPhone whenever I want. Last night watched 1921 Harold Lloyd silent film on large iPad recorded from TCM 3 am time slot a week ago. You get most sports channels on the simple plan. ESPN ESPN2 TNT etc. So if you're shopping around, you might compare DTV Now to ATT Watch. (Don't know if they still have the free HBO for life offer post merger.)
    If you like classic movies you should check out FilmStruck, which is a joint venture between Criterion Collection and Turner Classic Movies—they have an incredible catalog covering every decade and genre, including a lot of Harold Lloyd and just about everything else you can think of apart from more recent Hollywood blockbusters. Tons of American and foreign classics and bonus features. You can’t download movies to your device (streaming only), but otherwise it’s way better than Netflix for my tastes, and works on Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, Mac etc. 
    edited June 2018 djames4242unbeliever2nimpeachabletech
  • Reply 8 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    WatchTV
    What else are you supposed to do with it? Also, these names?

What... ugh... At any rate, it’s still throttled (but only insofar as “network use”–which is not a legal term, and thus they can use it to mean anything–is concerned... except if you’re on the el-cheapo plan, in which case if YOU use too much they’ll throttle you anyway).
    AT&T UNLIMITED CHOICE ENHANCED PLAN: Data Restrictions: For all data usage, customer may temporarily experience reduced speeds on these line(s) during times of network congestion.

AT&T UNLIMITED PLUS ENHANCED PLAN: 
    Data Restrictions: After 22GB of data usage on a line in a bill cycle, for the remainder of the cycle a customer may temporarily experience reduced speeds on that line during times of network congestion.

• Reply 9 of 11
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    There are news programs and there are opinion programs. FOX has news shows and also has opinion programming. CNN incorporates their opinion into their news shows. Edward R Murrow would be aghast at both networks.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    nunzy said:
    If Apple starts buying up media companies, consumers will have even more choice. Apple could also buy a cable company to distribute this content exclusively. That way we could all choose the content that is best.
    ROFL...
      (I hope you didn't mean that seriously?)
    nimpeachabletech
  • Reply 11 of 11
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    OK... here we go....
    Cable companies have used their monopolies for decades by pushing high priced content onto their customers:   "Only $250 a month for 300 channels! (and one of them is the one you want)"

Now, between the loss of net neutrality and this merger of a content provider and ISP it looks like this money maker is being extended out to mobile as well...

I'm wondering if this will impact Apple's initiative to push a la cart content via apps on their devices?